US Open 10-Ball & 8-Ball Championships Return to 9-Foot Tables

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, it is wonderful news. However, being the eternal pessimist, where are the spectators supposed to watch from? For those of us who have visited Griff's, there is no place to watch from except the streaming table area. Are you going to remove some small Diamond tables and replace them with bleachers? An inquiring mind wants to know.

Lyn

Not to mention all the time spaced out between the start and end of the two 64 man events.

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
Great news on this. I hope a US Open is never held on the little tables again. Will try and make it up for these events but if not most certainly the one pocket when you have it scheduled. :smile:

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think there's clearly a place in our game for bar tables. I also don't mind pros playing on them from time to time. I think things went a bit, or make that -- way too far when U.S. Opens were being played on them. The people spoke and CSI listened. My hats off to CSI for making this correction.

Last edited:

tbayplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Put 2-9 footers at the Rio and play the final 4 there for each event. Way more spectators and room.

Bella Don't Cry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Best Pool news of 2017 by far!
Now the US Pro's have something to work with in their quest of Mosconi Cup glory...
WELL DONE
CSI :thumbup:

poolscholar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Now they just need a good rule set to make big table 8 ball harder. (see Appleton's WPS)

at least break outside the box

storke

One Pocket Player
Silver Member
Thank you Mark Griffin and CSI for your unparalleled support of pocket billiards. I dont believe you as a person get the praise you deserve. I just want to say I appreciate all you have done for the amateur and professional players. I have always enjoyed your events and look forward to seeing the new pool hall.

Tooler

AhSheetMaDruars
Silver Member
I want to tell everyone that CSI and me (Mark Griffin) appreciate the positive comments.

We are actually adding $40,000 between the 4 events.

Hopefully the players and fans will show their suppport.

Mark Griffin

You know they will Mark.....:thumbup:

Thank You both for making this happen.

DelawareDogs

The Double Deuce…
Silver Member
This instantly makes me smell a much closer match at the MC this year. Maybe even some different players as well if the same MC points system is used>>>?

**(finding wood to knock on)**

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Way to go CSI !

This is good news CSI. About 20 years ago my wife and I made our one and only 5 day trip to Vegas. We had fun, except it snowed and the wind blew like a banshee!

I think I will start saving my pennies and try to meet my Michigan buddy in Vegas and go to "Griffs" for some pool.

I want another shot at you Mark as I still remember those "butt whuppins" you gave me when I was a innocent and ignorant "wantabe" pool shooter in Anchorage.

Congrats on all you at CSI and thanks for making pool better.

I hope to visit some day as I am not getting any younger!

Last edited:

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very happy to hear this. Never felt right to have the pros play major tournaments on the 7 footers. The prestige should return. The US Open 10 ball on the 9 footers was beginning to rival that of the US Open 9 ball.

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
Thank you black jesus!

THANK YOU BLACK JESUS! Or at least thank you Mark G. Nobody hates barbox more than me. Just made my first trip to Griff's and by far the nicest hall in the North America (Close second to Corner Bank in Toronto). Great equipment, decor and food. If they had a cappuccino machine i would have burned my passport and stayed forever.

Attachments

• 200_s.gif
    200_s.gif
    51 KB · Views: 318

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member

US Open 10-Ball and 8-Ball Championships Return to 9-Foot Tables

CueSports International, Henderson, NV (Feb. 7, 2017) – CueSports International (CSI) is excited to announce several major changes to the 2017 US Open 10-Ball and US Open 8-Ball Championships.

That is fantastic. This is going to once again be a great event. Thank you so much guys!

Not every decision should made for commercial success. Sometimes we have to honor the game and 9 foot for pro players and we small group of fans are truly going to appreciate the competition so much more.

onepocketron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will actually go and watch them again. Used to buy a VIP tag and watch them every year at the old Riv, but the 7 footers just didn't do it for me, not at all. Good to hear.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great news, will you be chatting with the BEF about moving the Junior Nationals back to run alongside the USAPL and BCAPL events since you have all those tables available again?

The BCA trade show is really not the best mix for the juniors since they started to block off access for the kids to the show and vendors are complaining that there are kids around LOL, and since the hours have to be set by the trade show there is no practice or hanging out time for the kids. Everyone loved being there when it was held at the Rio.