League Tournament Question.

PoppaSaun

Banned
Not singling you out....just quoting you to explain to several of you who are obviously not familiar with the apa 9 ball scoring system. Also to clarify that the 2 was playing a 4 ...not a 6 as a few apparently misunderstood.

A 2 goes to 19 points
A 4 goes to 31 points.

The fewer points you allow your opponent the higher your score is.

A total of 20 points is available each match. The points are awarded on a sliding scale from 20-0 to 12-8.

The op said the 2 won 20 -0 . That means the 2 scored 19 points for the win and held the 4 to between 6-8 points

A few examples of the sliding scale. The 2 wins 19-11. The score would be 19-1. The 2 wins 19- 28. The score would be 12-8 .

During regular session you play 5 matches with a total of 100 points available. At the end of 5 matches the team with the most points wins. During playoffs or higher the matches stop when one team reaches 51 points as there is no way the other team could win. During regular session you continue playing regardless of what the score is because the points are applied to your team total for the session and not playing one match could be the difference between first or 2nd place at the end of the session.

The OP said that he (the OP) is a 6 and that the guy played shape better than he (the OP) does.

Thanks for correction on the scoring. I don't get it, but it certainly seems convoluted. First you play 9-ball for points (weird enough), but then the points don't mean anything and get converted to other points. Cool.

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
New male players start as a 4, unless they have an established S/L in the the other APA
game. If they do they would start as that skill level.

Another thing I'm curious about (to the OP) - Please excuse if this has been addressed already, Is it possible that "Jack"
was a brand new player in your spring session and didn't have enough plays to participate in LTC? Is it possible that's why
they couldn't find him on their roster so he suddenly became William?
At our LTC and further more out in Las Vegas, if a player is ineligible their names are left off the roster. I guess to avoid any confusion.
I mean do you know this other team at all? Do they have a rep for sandbagging or something like that? Would they try to sneak on a ringer
and keep him "below the radar" for a session, then turn him loose in the LTC? If they did, it's kind of a stupid move if you ask me. Good way
to get DQ'd

I doubt he was brand new. But certainly a newer played. He has to have to matches in just to qualify with the team. That team was from a different County altogether. Never seen any of them play until this Saturday Morning.

I do know that everyone has a moment..., that everything just comes together. Maybe that was his day. Congrats to him and his team if that was the case. I don't wish anyone ill will. I just was curious how many people ask for ID's.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The OP said that he (the OP) is a 6 and that the guy played shape better than he (the OP) does.

Thanks for correction on the scoring. I don't get it, but it certainly seems convoluted. First you play 9-ball for points (weird enough), but then the points don't mean anything and get converted to other points. Cool.

I Got a chuckle out of your Las paragraph. I guess that's one way if looking at it.

I guess apa 9 ball is a little strange to people used to a race format. After joining bcapl years ago and finding 8 ball was a points based game nothing surprises me anymore about leagues

I will go into a little more detail about apa 9 ball for you.

2's go to 19
3's go to 25
4's go to 31
5's go to 38
6's go to 46
7's go to 55
8's go to 65
9's go to 75

Those points are what you are required to reach in order to win your match.

The 20 points the 2 in question earned have nothing to do with his win. A win is only worth 12 points for your team. Those extra 8 points he earned for his team were because he held his opponent to 8 points. In other words.. The less points your opponent makes in your match the higher your score is.

This does help prevent sandbagging in a way.

Under most league systems a win is a win is a win. In other words a team plays 5 matches and each team has won 2. In most leagues whichever team wins the 5th match wins the round. It does not matter what the score was. In effect you can drag a match out and win hill-hill and not worry about your handicap.

Not so in apa 9 ball.. Or 8 ball either but that's another subject for another time.

In apa 9 ball both teams may have won 2 matches each but what matters is what the total score is for each team .

Lets say team a has 46 points and team b has 34. Whichever team gets to 51 wins.

Team b's player has to win by 17-3 for his team to win that round. Lets say its 2-5's playing . Player b would have to beat player a by 38-14 . Or around that number as I dont have the chart in front of me but hope yu get the idea.

You cant sandbag and expect to win for your team under those conditions.