plug and retap shaft durability

billiardthought

Anti-intellectualism
Silver Member
I have two shafts that I really like playing with, but one of the shafts has the threads cut a hair to one side of the shaft i.e. when I screw this shaft on to the butt all the way on there is a high side and low side where the shaft meets the butt. I want to keep both of these shafts and get them properly matched up to a new butt for it to be a totally new cue except for the fact thta the shafts have been played with. The problem is they are players hxt 12.75 shafts without collars, and I don't think these can be sourced anywhere.

Do modern adhesives and tolerances allow for plugging and retapping a shaft that already has threads in it that can withstand the forces of regular use? Or am I missing some other strategy here? The butt was made at Schmelke and they matched the first shaft, and then later on matched the second ill fitting shaft. Whatever process they use doesn't allow for second shafts to match perfectly.

WilleeCue

The Barefoot Cuemaker
Silver Member
No Problem ... just about any cue maker here can do that job for you.
If you are having a new butt made just send the shafts to them for proper fitting.

billiardthought

Anti-intellectualism
Silver Member
No Problem ... just about any cue maker here can do that job for you.
If you are having a new butt made just send the shafts to them for proper fitting.

Thank you for the reply! I was concerned it may jeopardize the integrity of the shaft but it sounds like that isn’t the case.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I plug them with threaded 1/2 diam. inserts .

The old .375" threads are bored out to .450".
The adhesive is just an insurance and gap-filler.
A threaded insert done right will outlast the shaft .

I do Revos that way. Never had a problem.

But, a collar would make it much more durable.

billiardthought

Anti-intellectualism
Silver Member
first you must determine if the pin is off or the hole in the shaft is off

Kim

That’s a good point and why I was thinking of abandoning the current butt, starting fresh with both shafts re tapped and a new butt. That way all variables are reset, right?

Joey,

Understood on the collars but unfortunately my love for sneaky petes goes too deep.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That’s a good point and why I was thinking of abandoning the current butt, starting fresh with both shafts re tapped and a new butt. That way all variables are reset, right?

Joey,

Understood on the collars but unfortunately my love for sneaky petes goes too deep.

Using prefinish then finish mandrells for sanding finish would rectify the situation.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think I understand at all....

Finishing mandrells are basically maintenance arbors, male and female with carbide outer sleeves ground to a precise size to sand finish and buff to for consistency. The prefinish size helps for the consistency of finish to be applied.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:

SpiderWeb

iisgone@yahoo.com
Silver Member
You may need to center the joint screw if it is off before you start on the shafts.