Gold Crown (option #2)

RJM

Registered
Okay, so this is the GC 1 table that is causing me to think twice about the GC 2 or 3 under the option #1 thread! This table looks beautiful, has been privately owned since new (never spent a day in a hall), has the original bill of sale from 1963, has been professionally painted with a high-gloss pearl-black finish, and has Simonis cloth. The guy selling it will take $2,175 - but that's as low as he'll go. So it'll be $675 more than the GC in "option #1" and it doesn't have the snooker pockets - but he did have them set to 4 1/2", so at least they're not "buckets". My main concern with table (as a consumer) is that he's already disassembled it! So, I'm nervous about not being able to play the rails, etc. There are definitely parts of the table I'll be able to see now that I couldn't if it was assembled, but still - I would prefer if I could play on it before handing over that kind of cash! Looking forward to any comments you have about my choice! If anyone has specific things that I should be looking at when a table is disassembled, I'd also appreciate that! Thanks, Ray

Attachments

• GC1 1.JPG
    GC1 1.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 372
  • GC1 2.JPG
    GC1 2.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 373
  • GC1 3.JPG
    GC1 3.JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 377
  • GC1 4.JPG
    GC1 4.JPG
    89 KB · Views: 372

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Not a III unless he had the irons refinished.
III's were not around in the 60's.
He can ask for $2175 but he will likely not get that .
You're likely going to have some rail and rubber work.
And that is not going to be cheap.

RJM

Registered
No this is a GC 1, the other thread is a 2 or 3. And ya the rail work is what makes me nervous - especially since it's been taken apart so I can't test them!

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
No this is a GC 1, the other thread is a 2 or 3. And ya the rail work is what makes me nervous - especially since it's been taken apart so I can't test them!

1's had the Monarch cushions.
If they are rotted out, you will need some rail and rubber work to get the Super Speed installed.

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
That table is sharp!

Did he have a reason for breaking down the table? If he's got that kind of table and he's a pool enthusiast, he knows anyone wanting to buy it will want to hit a couple balls on it.

If he's got it broke down and had a reason for taking it apart then he wants it gone asap.

I'd tell him this, I'll give you $1800. You help me move it and set it up, if the rails are fine I'll pay you another $400. He took it apart, he'll know easily how to put it together.

I'm thinking the cushions are fine if all that other work was put in but you never know.

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks to me like the pockets are stock 5” corners and 5-1/2” sides. Are the pics shown here prior to the rail work? I would also ask him who did the rail work.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Both tables are GCI's I believe. A GCIII would have bronze colored feet and corner castings, GCIV's and later are pretty obvious, which leaves GCI or GCII. Im guessing both are still I's and the black one is a painted GCI

RJM

Registered
There's no rail work that's been done - I'm concerned that I might need to do some, and since I can't play on the table b/f purchase (it's disassembled) - I'm pretty nervous about doing the transaction like that. Plenty of horror stories out there!

RJM

Registered
This one is a GCI, but I thought the other one was a II or III because it didn't have plastic aprons

driven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is a great looking table for sure

I hit balls on a gc1 before I bought it a few years ago, and the main reason I did buy it is that the rails were amazing, way faster than my medalist, and after a diy restoration that kept me busy for six months, plays great. Except that/

The pocket angles are messed up from the factory. They are to wide and not even the same angle. They are within five degrees of each other. the pockets reject all but the best hit shots. And that sucks.

I paid $450 for the table, moved it myself, put it back together myself, {with a little help from AZ Mechanics} plus whatever I paid for cloth, paint, LOTS OF SANDPAPER TO REMOVE BAD PAINT JOBS and more paint, It was still under 1000.

As much as I like older tables, If you are looking for a great Playing table I would keep on looking.

Attachments

• pocket angle.jpg
    pocket angle.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 332
  • gci picture.JPG
    gci picture.JPG
    122 KB · Views: 322

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
Looks to me like the pockets are stock 5” corners and 5-1/2” sides. Are the pics shown here prior to the rail work? I would also ask him who did the rail work.

Recreation sizes.
Those pockets will make you develop bad habits.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
if i didn't already have a table that black one would be sold

9 foot tables take time to sell
room size and geography work against you,but the table is pretty

i also like the blue apron table

Katipunan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Craigslist GC III

Just be patient, there are better deals out there. Got this GC III with extended rails for $800 delivered. I replaced the cushions, facings and cloth. Stripped, sanded and stained the aprons. $500 tops spent. The pockets are 4 1/8” and plays better than any of the table in our local pool rooms.

Attachments

• CEE64981-4B5D-4634-A992-79D614A0FA1B.jpg
    CEE64981-4B5D-4634-A992-79D614A0FA1B.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 221

bradsh98

Bradshaw Billiard Service
Silver Member
This one is a GCI, but I thought the other one was a II or III because it didn't have plastic aprons

Your 'Option 1' is definitely a GC I. However, it has been highly modified, including modern replacement slates.

pogmothoin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Buy the table, send the rails to Mark Gregory to be redone, and have the best table in your area.

The only problem will be every other table will disappoint you when you play on it.

For less that 5k you’ll have a great table.