Can a case cause a shaft to warp?

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Today a friend of mine checked two shafts of mine and said they are not straight, to me I'm not very picky and I told him that's nothing and to me I consider them straight, however he says that they are warping a little bit, like a very small wabble, I do agree but he is very picky, then he proceeded to tell that he also used an old shaft of mine and it was warping the same way and he indicated that it might be my case that are causing this.

Now I got a little concern because if my case is causing this to happen then every shaft that I will own eventually will be warped the same and I don't want that, how do I check or test to make sure that what my friend said is correct.

DelawareDogs

The Double Deuce…
Silver Member
Cases can definitely warp, and I'd even say it would be hard to see from the naked eye.

Even if the outside of the case is dead-set level, the inner workings (depending on the type) can be affected in a different way.

Pressure can affect the case. If it goes in the trunk of a car pressed up against a spare tire and left that way, it'll throw it off of straight. Same if thrown in a closet at a funny angle, or leaning up against something tough enough to warp it.

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What's the best cue cases out there, say to get an un-warpable sort of case if that does exist.

I've seen many pros using soft material cases, are those the best these days?

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What's the best cue cases out there, say to get an un-warpable sort of case if that does exist.

I've seen many pros using soft material cases, are those the best these days?

The most important point in a case is that:: at no time is the shaft under any pressure
{tip-to-joint, side loading, ...} but always free to find its own equilibrium without any induced stress.

Thus a hard or soft case needs a couple of mm in all 3 dimensions so the shaft can expand and contract with temperature, rattle around, and at the same time protected from the elements {heat, cold, excess water vapor, excess dryness.}

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Unless the case itself is warped, and you are shoving the shaft into a bad case, I would say no.

Also, with a decent case, store the cue and shafts upright. I don't think it's the case's fault, though there may some unusual situations.

All the best,
WW

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I see people doing totally stupid things daily in life. Pool Room is not the exception, a soft clean clothes to remove per perspiration from Cue Butt & Shafts before storage is a good idea.

We had a Nucklehead snowbird who went away for summer, left pool case with Cues in it in trunk of Az Car in garage in AZ. *****ed because everything warped after exposed to 130 Degrees for over 90 days.

Who would have thought??

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
. *****ed because everything warped after exposed to 130 Degrees for over 90 days.

Who would have thought??

I left my cue case in the car during the summer and here it reaches more than 130 F, here it reaches 60C degrees, which is equal to 140F degrees, and the Mezz shafts are still straight, amazing for mezz companies, but now I switched gears to Meucci, I wonder if they can withstand the same as Mezz in terms of heat exposure.

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The most important point in a case is that:: at no time is the shaft under any pressure
{tip-to-joint, side loading, ...} but always free to find its own equilibrium without any induced stress.

Thus a hard or soft case needs a couple of mm in all 3 dimensions so the shaft can expand and contract with temperature, rattle around, and at the same time protected from the elements {heat, cold, excess water vapor, excess dryness.}

Thank you for this information, feels like I'm taking Statics and Mechanics courses all over again :D

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
I left my cue case in the car during the summer and here it reaches more than 130 F, here it reaches 60C degrees, which is equal to 140F degrees, and the Mezz shafts are still straight, amazing for mezz companies, but now I switched gears to Meucci, I wonder if they can withstand the same as Mezz in terms of heat exposure.

Many Meucci's come pre-warped so they actually straighten out when cooked.:p

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Many Meucci's come pre-warped so they actually straighten out when cooked.:p
My friend left his Meucci on the front seat of his car for a second to talk to someone in the pool hall and when he came out his window was smashed and someone had left another Meucci.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.:grin-devilish:

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member

Your lucky the Snow Tird in question was crying the blues because his make in China CRAP WARPED. My golden rule is treat my Cue, Case, and accessories like they cost money, not like they were a FREE LUNCH.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
my friend left his meucci on the front seat of his car for a second to talk to someone in the pool hall and when he came out his window was smashed and someone had left another meucci.

Sorry, i couldn't help myself.:grin-devilish:

ouch..........

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My JB Rugged cases are tight. I store the shafts in a separate case and only put them in the case with the butts when I'm going out to play.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member

A 100 degree F change in temp such as 0 to 100 F will cause a cue to get less than 0.25 mm (.008 inches) longer and the diameter changes less than one ten thousandths of an inch. I don't disagree that a cue case should have a little room but it's not needed because of temp changes. The case itself actually grows more than the cue when heated.

Sent from the future.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A 100 degree F change in temp such as 0 to 100 F will cause a cue to get less than 0.25 mm (.008 inches) longer and the diameter changes less than one ten thousandths of an inch. I don't disagree that a cue case should have a little room but it's not needed because of temp changes. The case itself actually grows more than the cue when heated.

Sent from the future.

Please cite any references you used to come up with this.

Or is it just your opinion?

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
In hot areas, the ions will migrate more substantively toward the insulant.
Degree of insulation should remain at least 3(1/d) at all times with d equal to shaft space opening.
Also, do NOT keep the cue in your trunk, dammit, that is your issue!

Will Prout

Last edited:

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Please cite any references you used to come up with this.

Or is it just your opinion?
References? Its basic science.

Wood has a known coefficient of linear thermal expansion (CLTE) just like steel and any other material does. Anyone who passed 7th science could calculate how much a steel bar changes in length over 100 degree temperature rise and a wood cue is no different, other than a different CLTE.

Sent from the future.