My short-lived APA experience. (long post)

inside_english

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I joined APA last year to play in an in-house 8-ball league.
I had no idea what lay ahead as I knew nothing about APA....only that I avoided it for many years because I did not like playing on bar tables and I rejected 8-ball.

Since then, I have changed my attitude about 8-ball, have developed more respect for the strategical part of the game, and have also grown to appreciate the difficulty in negotiating a run-out on a smaller table. My good buddy, who is far better than I, helped changed my perceptions...:)

While playing in this league, I happened to meet quite a few people. While they are not what I would consider pool-players, they are, for the most part, nice people.

However, the pool-player in me had a very difficult time with the almost complete lack of pool etiquette exhibited by said people. This is my 3rd and final session, and my team qualified for the Regionals in the previous two sessions.

The behavior exhibited by the bulk of the people at the Regionals was exponentially worse! I do not know if this is indigenous to APA players or what, but I have decided after countless frustrating experiences, that APA is not for me.

I think, after being involved for a year and a half, that APA is truly for amateur players...and while I am also an amateur, I do try to improve...whereas the majority of APA players I have met only seem to be interested in playing pool for free on APA nights only, and could care less about their ratings.

I know there have been several posts/threads about APA players and the APA in general, but I just wanted to share why I was quitting.

Interestingly, some of the people I shoot with in 9-ball tournaments gave me funny looks when I told them I am an APA member. It was almost like "What did you join up with THAT crowd for?"

While the APA crowd seems generally nice, the pool-playing characteristics, un-sportsmanlike conduct and almost constant sharking (some of it unintentional) became unbearable for me.

Anyway, there are two or three weeks left in this session and I won't be participating because of work and family requirements, but I won't miss it at all. I don't think playing in the APA did anything to improve my game. It is almost impossible for me to play "good pool" in that environment. I don't know how in-house leagues are in other rooms, but in mine it is literally a 3-ring circus...and we don't even have a jukebox or alcohol!

Oh well, the regular APA vets seem to enjoy themselves, so more power to them. I'll just go back to having my butt handed to me in the 9-ball weekly and regional tourneys!

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All I ever hear is how APA is bad. I don't think I would join an APA league after all the sandbagging threads I've read through.

Surly

This is it.
Silver Member
I have to agree. I've never heard one thing about the APA that makes me want to join. I feel such a sense of freedom when I hear people complain about it.

HA! I say.

TheNewSharkster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have dumped 4 years of my life into playing APA. Played for 3 years and quit because I was sick of all the crap. Came back 2 years later to give it another shots. Played for 4 season and dropped it like a bad habit.

First off the whole system is flawed. You cannot keep a team together if you do well. This leads to people losing on purpose or padding the innings to control skill level. IMO you have to sandbag to be really competitive in APA.

Throw in the fact our league rep would plan the money tournaments during holiday weekends. It was enough to make me walk away and not turn back.

When I was playing APA (I was also the captain) I would be at the bar from 6pm-11pm (sometime later) and I would MAYBE play 1 hour of pool. Now that I am not playing anymore when I go out and play I will play for 4 hours straight. Even in tounraments I play more than in APA.

Ok, end of rant :cool:

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
The APA is intended for entry-level players.
Their handicapping system truly sucks. It encourages sandbagging by it's very nature and punishes you for improving your game by raising your skill-level.

No where else will you see a set of rules that claims to be ball-in hand yet it's NOT open after the break (8-ball).

Their 9-ball league is equally ridiculous. No push-out, No jump cues and you can make the 9 & still lose. Winning is determined by ball count.

I owned an APA franchise for a while. I sold it when I got tired of the whining & crying and exposing entry-level players to a set of rules that would only serve to confuse them when they got out in the real world.

The only good to come out of my experience was that at the time that I bought my franchise, nobody North of Fort Wayne was playing BIH.
Now, everyone does including the unsanctioned leagues.
I'll consider that to be worth my time. I accomplished what I set out to do.

J.T.450r

Chesapeake Custom Cues
Silver Member
I played APA for almost 14 years and I have seen some of what you speak of. I recently found TAP League A much more competitive league with overall higher caliber players who are interested in the sport. Only downfall is its smaller league less payout, less organized, but overall I am much happier.

Last edited:

Black Cat 5791

I get all the Breaks
Silver Member
Once again we have another post bashing a perfectly good league and system. Rather than try to beat the system or get around it, why not just embrace it and learn how to have fun.

If you really want to improve and play in leagues join the APA Masters Division, NO! Handicaps!!, NO! Sandbagging!!!!, NO!!! Complaining!!! You play your best against the best, you either win or you go home.

Regular league is mostly designed to have fun, once your team get's to good then it's time to split the team and rebuild and have 2 competetive teams. If that plan doesn't work for you then have a 4 or 5 man core, and pick up 3 to 4 new players each session if you are running into numbers issues.

Have Fun Play Pool & Stop the Whinning :cool:

Black Cat

inside_english

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Once again we have another post bashing a perfectly good league and system. Rather than try to beat the system or get around it, why not just embrace it and learn how to have fun.

If you really want to improve and play in leagues join the APA Masters Division, NO! Handicaps!!, NO! Sandbagging!!!!, NO!!! Complaining!!! You play your best against the best, you either win or you go home.

Regular league is mostly designed to have fun, once your team get's to good then it's time to split the team and rebuild and have 2 competetive teams. If that plan doesn't work for you then have a 4 or 5 man core, and pick up 3 to 4 new players each session if you are running into numbers issues.

Black Cat
I think you meant "whining", but that's OK, I get your gist. Although...you seemed to have either missed my point, or chose to interpret it in a way that suited you.

I posted what happened to ME when I joined, MY experiences and why I do not like the APA format that I HAVE BEEN EXPOSED TO.

I am not speaking for all APA players and all leagues everywhere.

Also, why do people accuse you of whining when you express dissatisfaction or distaste with something they enjoy?

So you like APA...good for you.

Complaining is not whining, BTW. Don't get your terms mixed. And don't confuse the meaning of my posts.

inside_english

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Black Cat
And no, the APA is not a perfectly good league and system...re-read several threads on this forum and you will see that.

But like I said, if it works for you...carry on...enjoy yourself.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lmao!!!

APA is really fun when two 2's shoot at the one ball for an hour or so!!! It can also be fun when they spill beer all over your cues and case!! But the best part is paying them for all that fun... APA is really just a social event with pool as a side show designed to get folks into a bar and spend money, it really is not about pool..

paksat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
APA is really fun when two 2's shoot at the one ball for an hour or so!!! It can also be fun when they spill beer all over your cues and case!! But the best part is paying them for all that fun... APA is really just a social event with pool as a side show designed to get folks into a bar and spend money, it really is not about pool..

This ^

Quite frankly, it's a joke in the sense of competitive pool. One more session, then i'm done with it.

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member
I think, after being involved for a year and a half, that APA is truly for amateur players...and while I am also an amateur, I do try to improve...whereas the majority of APA players I have met only seem to be interested in playing pool for free on APA nights only, and could care less about their ratings.

How do they play for free?

teedotaj

teedot oohhhhhh
Silver Member
Here are my cons:
I have to pay 8$ for 8 ball match and $7 for 9 ball match everynight. Double jeopardy. I hate being punsihed for improving. and sandbagging.
APA's faults.

BUT the 2's and the 3's in my league don't spill drinks all over the place (tables/cuees/cases). They know not to walk within someone who is shooting's line of sight. They also know how to try not to distract players on matches by being too loud. If they do so by accident they apologize.

I think it's just a matter of the captain or a team member educating other team member about proper ettiquette. Otherwise, the player or opposing team captain/members will let you know what's up. Not really the APA's fault. No biggie.

cjl0s

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
As is stated everywhere the APA is a league for beginners. There are big fish as well but most will play the 4 plays and play if the team goes deep in the playoffs. I played for several sessions and may again some day if only to play with some kids and meet people for social reasons. My bar however is blackballed for life in my region for reasons I will not go into. For now we play Valley/BCA dual sanctioned league. Much higher skill level (generally 7s or higher) Better awareness of the rules, better sportsmanship, no timeouts. We are done with our 25 racks in about an hour and a half. Beats watching my former 75 year old female teammate push balls around for a race to 2 match that takes and hour and 45 minutes to complete...

Dead Stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I still play APA and I agree with most everyone's comments on it. I think the "equalizer" system is very skewed and it doesn't promote the "team" environment. It DEFINITELY promotes sandbagging and inning-padding. I have never intentionally sandbagged but I have heard people say they dumped to intentionally keep their skill level down. I am just tired of padding someone else's pocket with $8/match when I am not learning anything or improving my game at all. I did play in the Master's for two sessions but that was $10/match and I did learn a lot but, jeez louise I thought $8 is bad enough.

I am dropping APA all together at the end of this session after playing for almost 6 years (last 3 yrs in an in-house league) and I will be playing in our area's Men's League (Beer League) because it is still competitive, we don't pay outrageous fees just to play one match of pool, and it's the most fun I have had since I started shooting pool and if I win, I get BEER! LOL What more can you ask for?

BryanBpool

M.T.F.B.
Silver Member
I have been playing in the APA for nearly 10 years now.

My first few years I was involved with a team that "kept the handicaps down" if you catch my drift. We went to Vegas and did fairly well in 2001.

After that experience, I totally gave up on the sandbagging nonsense. I like winning waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much to dump matches.

Take it for what it is: A night out with friends.

Being that I gave up on the dumping, I could use my handicap as a gauge of improvement. :)