Team USA qualification series announced

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like the idea that no bar table events are being used as qualification events.

But not using the US Open seems like a mistake imo

See all the details and events here http://www.matchroompool.com/news/team-usa-qualification-series-announced-2/

Capture.JPG

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Seven 8-Ball events (including 3 second-chance events)

Six 9-Ball events

Two 10-Ball events

And I see they have changed from Ruijsink picking his team of 5 from the top 10 in the points rankings to Ruijsink picking 4 from the top 10 plus one other of his choice (who might or might not be from the top 10).

Last edited:

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
Apparently Darren has been doing some heavy duty leveraging. His events just became by far more critical to the team race than they were before.

Which also adds extra pressure to he and his team, to produce [first time] events that are worthy of their designation.

I don't like the late announcement of qualifying events but I do like the dropping of the u.s. open from the list, as far too much weight has been given to that event in the past and Johan does indeed need some time, if anyone realistically expects him to make any difference at all.

It will all be interesting nonetheless

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
More 8-ball than 9-ball events doesn't make much sense, but then what about the Mosconi Cup does?

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
More 8-ball than 9-ball events doesn't make much sense, but then what about the Mosconi Cup does?

It is what it is. A contest between party A and party B.
The classic tale of rivalry.

The team doesn't matter, the reason doesn't matter.
It's us versus them is all that matters.

And we be us, so go us

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A couple of notes:

No 7-foot events.
No events outside the US.
Six of the 15 are from Darren Appleton's World Pool Series 8-ball events.
Four of the 15 have already been completed.

(edit: Billy Thorpe must be at the top of the rankings at this point.)

Last edited:

OLD NO 9

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
Aren't the Turning Stone events already filled far in advance, so that if you wanted to enter for points for the MC Cup you are already locked out? Also is that field composed of the best America has to offer?

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've heard that a number of players who really wanted to be on the team in the past-no longer give a crap about it. It makes sense but idk as i havent spoken with any of them.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Aren't the Turning Stone events already filled far in advance, so that if you wanted to enter for points for the MC Cup you are already locked out? Also is that field composed of the best America has to offer?

The Turning Stone events have been on the list since the beginning, so it would be hard for someone to argue they had no idea they would be on this year.

OLD NO 9

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
The Turning Stone events have been on the list since the beginning, so it would be hard for someone to argue they had no idea they would be on this year.

With the roster of players it attracts, it has a feel of a nice regional event.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
2017 results for 2018 team picks

It's so late in the year. They want to finalize the team in early Sept. but the US Open is in mid-October.

Then all ya gotta do is ''in the rears'. This years results count towards next years player group. To NOT do this hurts the sport and the Open in many ways. I hope they don't ''stick'' it to the game with this dumb move. Think guys....long term.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's so late in the year. They want to finalize the team in early Sept. but the US Open is in mid-October.

After your post, I thought from a coaching vantage point, johan will have the team solidified and vwork with them in September to October, then have the U.S. Open to observe and coach again.

The interesting aspect here is Johan has time with the team that Mark Wilson did not, so we will finally have a concrete scenario where we can see if coaching really does play a factor in the Mosconi Cup.

ssbn610g

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I heard a couple of weeks ago that the August Turning Stone is either full or almost full. So, People may indeed get locked out.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting. More 8B than rotation . But these 8B from Darren have lots of top world class players so I suspect that 8B/world class field/9ft would help more than 9b/regional field/7ft.
I sympathise with Shane and Johann cos the pressure and burden on them is simply tremendous this year. Less so on Johann since he will be given one more year if he fails this year.

markpatrick

Cardinals
Silver Member
Team Darren Appleton Qualifiers Named I mean Team USA

Interesting. More 8B than rotation . But these 8B from Darren have lots of top world class players so I suspect that 8B/world class field/9ft would help more than 9b/regional field/7ft.
I sympathise with Shane and Johann cos the pressure and burden on them is simply tremendous this year. Less so on Johann since he will be given one more year if he fails this year.

2017 Mosconi Cup Team USA Ranking Events Tour

January 8/11 – Turning Stone Classic I (Mike Zuglan) – Verona, New York
Table: 9 ft
Players: 128
Added: $25,000
Grade: One

January 14/17 – World Pool Series Event 1 (Darren Appleton) – New York
Players: 119
Added: $16,200

January 14/17 – World Pool Series Challenge Event (Darren Appleton) – New York
Players: 78
Added: $2,500
Grade: Three

January 25/28 – Derby City Classic 9 Ball (Greg Sullivan) – Elizabeth, Indiana
Players: 320

March 30/April 2 –Super Billiard Expo (Allen Hopkins Jnr), Oaks, PA
Players: 64
Added: $10/15,000

April 5/8 – World Pool Series Event 2 (Darren Appleton) – New York
Added: $16,800

April 5/8 – World Pool Series Challenge Event (Darren Appleton) – New York
Players: 70 plus

July 12/16 – World Pool Series Event 3 (Darren Appleton) – New York
Added: $16,800

July 12/16 – World Pool Series Challenge Event (Darren Appleton) – New York
Players: 70 plus

July 17/19 – US Open 10 Ball (CSI) – Las Vegas, Nevada
Added: $15,000

July 29/31 – US Open 8 Ball (CSI) – Las Vegas, Nevada
Added: $15,000

August 17/20 – Chuck Markulis Memorial (Hard Times), Sacramento, CA
Players: 100
Added: Minimum $5,000
Grade: Two

August 31/Sept 3 – Turning Stone Classic II (Mike Zuglan) – Verona, New York

September 1/5 Texas Open 9-ball Championships – Round Rock, Austin, TX
Added: $5,000

September 9/10 Houston 9-Ball Open – Legends Billiards, League City, TX.
Table: Over Size 4 x 8
Added: $8,000

Grade One
1 – 50 pts
2 – 40
3 – 35
4 – 30
5/6 – 26
7/8 – 22
9/12 – 18
13/16 – 13
17/24 – 8
25/32 – 5
OR
1 – 50 pts
2 – 40
3/4 – 32
5/8 – 24
9/16 – 15
17/32 – 8

Derby City
1 – 50 pts
2 – 40
3 – 35
4/5 – 30
6/10 – 21
11/16 – 15
17/22 – 11
23/39 – 5

Grade Two
1 – 40 pts
2 – 32
3 – 28
4 – 24
5/6 – 21
7/8 – 18
9/12 – 14
13/16 – 10
17/24 – 6
25/32 – 4

Grade Three
1 – 25 pts
2 – 20
3 – 18
4 – 15
5/6 – 13
7/8 – 11
9/12 – 9
13/16 – 7
17/24 – 4
25/32 – 3
Or
1 – 25 pts
2 – 20
3/4 – 17
5/8 – 12
9/16 – 8
17/32 – 4
Points Cut Off
Events with a field upwards of 80 players – top 32
Events with fields between 64 and 79 players – top 24
Events with less than 64 entries – top 16.

Challenge Events? aren't those tournaments for guys that cannot cut the mustard in the original event?

What there are NOT enough worthwhile events this year worthy of points consideration. Captain picks 4 of top 10 point getters? C'mon tell us who the team is now?:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
I've heard that a number of players who really wanted to be on the team in the past-no longer give a crap about it. It makes sense but idk as i havent spoken with any of them.

I said this would happen the day the non-American coach was named. Players care less about chasing the MC carrot now and fans care way less about it. johnnyt