Who made this ring work?

breakandrun

3 Stars and a Sun
Silver Member
I saw one from Steve Klapp. Maybe Brent Hartman too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
Steve did that one
after visiting my shop ;)

Which is the reason that I don't invite other CMs into my shop.
Please understand that I'm NOT suggesting design theft; heaven forbid.
It's about human nature and the sub-conscious mind.
A CM (or anyone for that matter) can catch just a glimse of something
out of the corner of their eye and it gets buried in the sub-conscious.
A year or two later, the CM thinks he's just imagined a new design for
ring-work or whatever. It can lead to a lot of frustration.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

I don't mind cuemakers coming to my shop. I just don't have time to teach them much. If they learn something from looking around that is fine with me as I know they can learn it from a close up picture like posted above easy enough. There are not many secrets that can't be figured out with the multitude of cuemakers out there now.

Bumlak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't mind cuemakers coming to my shop. I just don't have time to teach them much. If they learn something from looking around that is fine with me as I know they can learn it from a close up picture like posted above easy enough. There are not many secrets that can't be figured out with the multitude of cuemakers out there now.

You've always been super nice to me Chris. As has Eric Crisp. That's why I will continue to do business with you at every opportunity.

Erich

ratcues

No yodeling, please.
Silver Member

Turn the car around...

moose.jpg

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Yes, I will be deliberately provocative with this post. I being strangely reminded of that cue maker symposium and someone asking about LD shafts.
Boy, each and everyone showed that they are not worthy of a cent being spent on them and secondly that they still even don't understand the why after making cues for ages.
Carom players have LD cues for over 30 years now.

And now to this post:
I think that this post shows something I have never, cannot and quite possibly will never understand.
Do you honestly think that decorations, rings, ornaments can, should or must be some kind of "trademark" or heaven forbid the worst term "intellectual property"?

Even the MOST random ones that are shown in the picture? I know that making this takes skill, but the idea is pretty random, I'm very sorry.

I'm all for using design(s) that someone finds nice. I'm also for copying. Please also copy me! I couldn't care less. Or are you invoking a strange kind of "code of conduct" that cue maker are (still?) adhering to?
"No, I will not make you this decorations, they are only done by Joe WhatsHisName and the waitlist is 1 year..."

If history tells you one thing it's that at a given point in time with the available knowledge more than one man will come up with the exact same idea, even if they don't know each other.

Please accept that, even embrace it.
If you have produced something and let it out into the world you have basically set it free to be copied, evolved, improved upon.

Cheers,
M

Last edited:

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
Visitors are welcome BUT appointments are appreciated.

The front door is locked even when I'm in the shop.
Most of the local players (what few there are) travel the extra 15 mi to Seyberts.

NOTHING TO SEE HERE, just 5 in service lathes and a MillPort,
drill-press and a couple of saws. Most don't have interest in the TIG welder.

So tell me, why would you WANT to go to another CM's shop ?
I don't go to a CM's shop for exactly the reason I specified.
I know me. My subconscious is a kleptomaniac.
Yes, I will be deliberately provocative with this post. I being strangely reminded of that cue maker symposium and someone asking about LD shafts.
Boy, each and everyone showed that they are not worthy of a cent being spent on them and secondly that they still even don't understand the why after making cues for ages.

And now to this post:
I think that this post shows something I have never, cannot and quite possibly will never understand.
Do you honestly think that decorations, rings, ornaments can, should or must be some kind of "trademark" or heaven forbid the worst term "intellectual property"?

Even the MOST random ones that are shown in the picture? I know that making this takes skill, but the idea is pretty random, I'm very sorry.

I'm all for using design(s) that someone finds nice. I'm also for copying. Please also copy me! I couldn't care less. Or are you invoking a strange kind of "code of conduct" that cue maker are (still?) adhering to?
"No, I will not make you this decorations, they are only done by Joe WhatsHisName and the waitlist is 1 year..."

If history tells you one thing it's that at a given point in time with the available knowledge more than one man will come up with the exact same idea, even if they don't know each other.

If you have produced something and let it out into the world you have basically set it free to be copied, evolved, improved upon.

Cheers,
M

To MG,

You're certainly welcome to 'copy' anyone's designs you want if you feel so inclined.
I do it as part of my job in building Predator shafts for custom cues. I'm good at it.
However, you'll never see it in any of the cues that I build.
Once a design is out in the world, it's in the public domain and anyone can use it.
I have integrity and respect for the other CMs in the world.
I prefer to be a little more creative. 'Borrowing' a design is just way too easy.
Thanx for sharing your personal values with me and all the other readers.
I seriously doubt that you have anything I'd want to copy but thanx anyway.

LGSM3

Jake<built cues for fun
Silver Member

And now to this post:

Cheers,
M

Until you posses creative talent and the ability to execute you will never understand. If everyone shared your beliefs then cuemaking would be further in the shitter than it already is. You don't care if anyone copies anything you've done because you havent done anything worthy of copying or that your heart is in. So yeah....you'll probably never understand.

Anyway, nice job on the ringwork BHQ

Bumlak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting topic (though it's far removed itself from the ringwork discussion of the OP.) First let me start by saying I've gotten an amazing amount of support from a ton of folks over the years as far as learning how to do things correctly. Every time I have been invited to come visit a shop I do so with a humble attitude. I am there to talk about and learn about anything I can dealing with building cues. Every trip, to every shop, I pick up anything from tidbits to full blown lessons. I've found that being humble and respectful has paid off immeasurably.

As far as originality, it's similar to the music industry. Originality is a tough nut to crack. I can listen to John WIlliams and hear Holst. That doesn't diminish the accomplishments of Williams and probably is a compliment to Holst. Great looking cues are great looking cues. If someone wants me to do a think nickle silver ring between black collars, I don't think of it as being a copy of a GB ring. I respect both sides of the spectrum. I can understand guarding ones interest in setting themselves apart. I can also GREATLY appreciate the kindness of the cuemakers who have opened their doors and shown me things that would have taken me years to figure out on my own. I'll have years to work on original designs and possibly, in time, make a mark.

BHQ

we'll miss you
Silver Member
hold on there fellas
i'm not sqauwking about it
it wasnt a blatant ripoff
steve did his twist on some that i was working on.
a year later he forgot about that i think
said to me "oh you're doing rings like i do now"

mine were inspired by a closeup pic of a Steve Klein bridged veneer cue i saw, just the bridge.
at first glance, i thought the bridge was ringwork, then realized what i was actually looking at.
then thought well i'll try it. first one was tikkler's mork & mindy cue(thanks crispy)
when i saw what a bittttch that was to do that way, is when i decided to glue rings together with sacrificial spacer together first, then cut back thru them for my slots.
and that evolved to last 2 pictures
i thinks thats what i was working on when steve was here
his twist was doing all with veneers as rings

Attachments

• 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 178
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 182
  • 007 (2).JPG
    007 (2).JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 175
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 183
  • 002 (2).JPG
    002 (2).JPG
    91 KB · Views: 179

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Until you posses creative talent and the ability to execute you will never understand. If everyone shared your beliefs then cuemaking would be further in the shitter than it already is. You don't care if anyone copies anything you've done because you havent done anything worthy of copying or that your heart is in. So yeah....you'll probably never understand.

Again, I highly acknowledge that this ringwork takes experience and skill.
And still, I would not accept to call this a "trademark" or even any protectable work by any law.

I also gladly pick a fight with cuemakers, because a lot (not all) have still not understood what it's about and I will gladly remind them of that.
And I'm actually happy that the cue market is shitty, as you call it, and lots of people are selling their customs again after quite a short while.

You get NOTHING for design or feeling special or using some obscure stuff or ringwork that has no functionality at all.
You get EVERYTHING for doing exactly what the customer wants (funky ringwork!) to have in the end, to find a solution for his wishes and for executing your work in a better manner than the rest of the bunch and being forthcomming when there's a problem with your product.
That's why you get the money, to realise an image a customer has in mind.

I do work creatively, albeit not in billards nor with wood. I do computer stuff and everything I do is done in an open source manner. It takes years of experience and learning, so I'd like to think it can directly be compared.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open-source_model

I also work with cars and again, everything I do or know is available and I post on forums, so it gets shared knowledge and is being improved upon.

I am proud of what I can do and especially about all the little things on how to do stuff. What I'm even more proud of is to find solutions for strange problems or how to diagnose them.
But don't have the flaw to think I'm special or unique or anything I do is so special.

Cheers,
M

LGSM3

Jake<built cues for fun
Silver Member
Again, I highly acknowledge that this ringwork takes experience and skill.
And still, I would not accept to call this a "trademark" or even any protectable work by any law.

I also gladly pick a fight with cuemakers, because a lot (not all) have still not understood what it's about and I will gladly remind them of that.
And I'm actually happy that the cue market is shitty, as you call it, and lots of people are selling their customs again after quite a short while.

You get NOTHING for design or feeling special or using some obscure stuff or ringwork that has no functionality at all.
You get EVERYTHING for doing exactly what the customer wants (funky ringwork!) to have in the end, to find a solution for his wishes and for executing your work in a better manner than the rest of the bunch and being forthcomming when there's a problem with your product.
That's why you get the money, to realise an image a customer has in mind.

I do work creatively, albeit not in billards nor with wood. I do computer stuff and everything I do is done in an open source manner. It takes years of experience and learning, so I'd like to think it can directly be compared.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open-source_model

I also work with cars and again, everything I do or know is available and I post on forums, so it gets shared knowledge and is being improved upon.

I am proud of what I can do and especially about all the little things on how to do stuff. What I'm even more proud of is to find solutions for strange problems or how to diagnose them.
But don't have the flaw to think I'm special or unique or anything I do is so special.

Cheers,
M

You've made my case. You see...you lack the pride and since of accomplishment that comes with being different and thus you lack the concept of defending it. You say you work with computers in an open source manner. Lets say you invented the Arduino and thus stood to benefit financially in a life changing manner....Now after the product gains traction and is desirable you have other companies far larger than you who can make an equivalent product for far less money, sell it for far less money than you did and maintain a higher margin. Would you throw these guys a party and congratulate them?

For the record, this has nothing to do with this particular ringwork and everything to do with principal

jake<special / flawed thinker

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
hold on there fellas
i'm not sqauwking about it
it wasnt a blatant ripoff
steve did his twist on some that i was working on.
a year later he forgot about that i think
said to me "oh you're doing rings like i do now"

That was exactly my point Brent. No one deliberately stole from anyone.
But I do understand at least a little of the subconscious mind and no one is at fault.
It happens and it's best to be aware of it. I don't mean to be harsh but I have taken steps.
Some will tell you that I have very cold feet. Lol