Short bits of advice to an aspiring young pool player

blah blah

Shoebat
Sometimes reading it is more digestible than hearing it. Was hoping you guys would add some to the list. Or even argue with the list- that's fine, too. Some are debatable/ circumstantial come from several sources.

-- Learn to be trustworthy. There will be a lot of times when your word is all you've got.

-- Play a weaker player tougher and tighter than normal. If you let him get to the table, anything will happen.
Part 2: No complaining about his slops. You let him on the table in the first place. Let somebody just run up and slam balls around, and something will eventually go in.

-- There is absolutely no cause to complain about the table or the environment: you and you opponent are playing in the same place on the same table. No matter how bad any of it is, this match becomes a competition to see which of you is better at focusing and adjusting.
Part 2: It ain't the stick. It's the player. Really.

-- See the money and pay after every set. Some %$#'s will shoot blanks on a cheap set- especially if you're a girl or too little to fight.

-- Pool hurts. Losing hurts. Learning hurts. Real bad. Every great pool player there is has literally shed tears over pool in some quiet, private moment. Getting through all that pain can make you so much stronger, smarter, and calmly determined. Or it can make you too scared to leave your comfort zone of playing weak players in weak tourneys making weak shots and positions over whining beers. Or it can just make you quit. Which will it be?

-- Never shoot blanks. If you don't have the money on you right now, don't play.

--Sometimes a few irrational but determined efforts to fly the nine is just what you need to throw off your opponent's game and get you back to focusing and aiming.

-- Never break a true gambler- throw him back some of his losses and he'll run out and beat his little fish so that he can afford play you again.

-- You're giving more to a weaker player when you play him tough than when you give him a shot or let him win a game. You're showing him how it should be done and you're giving him and his game respect. If that weaker player is a woman, she will definitely notice and be hurt and offended when you play her easy.

--Never bet a man his own trick. If he wants to bet he can four- rail a combo or pull your card out of his ear or even jump over the moon, don't bet.

-- It's a tournement. He's on the hill and you've got nothing. If you're just going to give up, just go ahead and shake his hand now. If you've got any heart at all, it's time to play hard. You have to ALWAYS believe that you can always make that match into a sweet win.

Last edited:

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nuff said. Great post and thanks for taking the time to write it.

Dave

scottycoyote

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
heres 2 i always liked........

1) never gamble with a guy whos first name is a city........like detroit stan or amarillo slim

2) if you look around the table in a ring game and you cant figure out who the chump is..........its you

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
scottycoyote said:
heres 2 i always liked........

1) never gamble with a guy whos first name is a city........like detroit stan or amarillo slim

2) if you look around the table in a ring game and you cant figure out who the chump is..........its you

Where the hell is Amarillo? I'm sorry but I think there should be an exception to that rule. If you've never heard of the city or if you cannot see why anyone would ever go to that city, it's okay.

The Kiss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Never get caught gambling for more than you have in your pocket...

Always ask for weight..

Never ease up on a lessor player....

Learn to play safes and positional defense

Always keep your head down....

Learn to block out potential sharks/ distractions....

Always have fun with the game once it becomes work it loses its luster...

scottycoyote

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jude Rosenstock said:
Where the hell is Amarillo? I'm sorry but I think there should be an exception to that rule. If you've never heard of the city or if you cannot see why anyone would ever go to that city, it's okay.

jude if someone invites you to a poker game.......run in the other direction lol.

crawdaddio

Used and registered
Silver Member
Gambling on pool is only one tiny sliver of the incredible whole of pool and billiard games

you don't have to be a good pool gambler to be a good pool player

Practice

you can and should enjoy THE GAME itself

stay down, follow through

trust your stroke, even if it means missing........this time

learn, play, and practice all kinds of games (3C, one pocket, 9 ball, 14.1, 8 ball, snooker, golf, honolulu, 3 ball, balkline, chicago, spanish pool, bank pool, left (off) handed, one handed, .....etc..)~~it will help you to improve more quickly

don't give a crap about proper speling and pucteation on pool forums

learn how to lose graciously (still workin on that one.....)

make friends rather than enemies at the pool hall.........

no matter how well you play, there will always be SOMEBODY better

~DC

vapoolplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
crawdaddio said:
Gambling on pool is only one tiny sliver of the incredible whole of pool and billiard games

you don't have to be a good pool gambler to be a good pool player

obviously.........you have a day job.......... :D

crawdaddio said:
learn, play, and practice all kinds of games (3C, one pocket, 9 ball, 14.1, 8 ball, snooker, golf, honolulu, 3 ball, balkline, chicago, spanish pool, bank pool, left (off) handed, one handed, .....etc..)~~it will help you to improve more quickly

i concur...........only knowing one game is a tuff hustle...... :cool:

VAP

vapoolplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i believe the following advice for a young pool player may have come from one of grady's hilarious comments........i could be wrong though, i know i heard it somewhere............

"quit your job, get a divorce, and learn how to live on little money"

no truer words have been spoken...... :D

thanks

VAP

mjantti

Enjoying life
Silver Member
I think this is more of a reminder than a piece of advice:
"When a player with experience plays against a player with money, the player with the experience will end up with the money and the player with the money will end up with the experience."

Can't remember from whom this was quoted from...

Also: "it's harder to unlearn than to learn". When learning pool, try to avoid learning bad habits, they are much more difficult to get rid of than learning new skills...