Types of people you see at the Pool Hall

Hungarian

C'mon, man!
Silver Member
The mexican drug lord last pocket 8 ball champion.

Don't want to say too much more about this type for fear of my life...

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Has anyone mentioned:

The PhD. Guy

You know, the guy that paid his way through college by hustlin' pool.

Maniac (barely graduated High School)

jojopiff

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Has anyone mentioned:

The PhD. Guy

You know, the guy that paid his way through college by hustlin' pool.

Maniac (barely graduated High School)

I've come to the conclusion that 85% of people in my pool hall paid for their college by hustling pool.

<-----Didn't even attend college. But helped pay for this massive amount of College Hustlers.

Hungarian

C'mon, man!
Silver Member
Every game but pool player

This guy loves to play gin, chess, back gammon and sometimes darts. Every once in a while he will try his luck at the 8 liner machine. Talks about pool and how well he played the game. But you will never see him with a cue stick in his hand unless he;s changing the TV channel or lowering the temp on the air conditioner.

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member
This one may have already been posted.

The "I beat that guy" guy!

This is the guy you played for 2 hours and won every game except for one. The one where you ran the table and left him ball in hand on the nine. The next day you find out that he has been telling everyone that he beat you, he even posts it on facebook! But fails to mention his 35 in a row losses!

inside_english

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But wait...there's more!

The Glory Hound
Loves to tell any and everyone about his last victory. Prints out charts showing his high finish in any tournament and displays it every chance he gets. Can't wait to tell you about some known player he beat once. Will also take photos of tournament charts showing his high finish and post on FaceBook.

The Teacher
Not a licensed instructor, nor has he ever had any students, but he has certainly taught everyone you know...and then some.

The Wanna-Be
Thinks he is a player because he is a big fish in a little pond. Might have dominated his area in the bar rooms (easy to beat dumb drunks) and now thinks he can hang with the local big boys on the 9-footers because he can play a litttle.

The White Knight
This guy seeks out any female in the room and treats them as though somehow they need his help to play better.

The Freeloader (Cousin to The CheapSkate)
Will befriend someone so they have a place to stay, food to eat and money for time and gambling. Moves on to the next victim after the first one catches on that they are being fleeced under the guise of friendship. Women usually fall victim to this because of their "relationships."

The Smart-Ass
Can't play worth a crap, but always has something to say about your game, your shot, your results and always thinks they are funny. This clown also uses the same material and tells the same jokes month after month. It gets to the point where you can finish their sentences for them because they are so predictable.

The Nice Guy
This guy is liked by everyone, never has a bad word to say about anybody and is a pleasure to play and to talk to. His pool-playing ability doesn't matter because he is just a nice guy to be around.

The Comedian
Always has a joke, is usually very funny and can get the room going. Always livens the place up and everybody likes him.

The "All-Around" Champion
This person usually thinks because they can play one game well, they can play all games well.

The Pointer
Has to point on the table where he wanted the cue ball to be, just so YOU know that HE knows where he should have played it.

The Corny Jackass
Knows all the boring pool slogans that are one million years old and yells them out every chance he gets. Is usually the same guy as The Smart-Ass.

The Pool Linguist
Likes to use pool jargon to describe everything in life. For example, "My current job gives my last job the 5-out!"

Big Talker
Loves to talk/threaten about gambling big but you never see them playing for more than $20 a SET.

The "Searching for the Holy Grail" Guy
Has been trying and changing cues for years, looking for the perfect hit and a better game, finding neither.

The Cueman
Can't wait to show you his new cues, or the cues he plans to buy in a magazine, whether you are interested or not.

Hungarian

C'mon, man!
Silver Member
This is one of the most enjoyable threads in a while.

The trick shot gaff gambler:

This guy sets up fairly easy shots are gives you 10 trys to make it. What you don't know is the rail is unglued and dead. But the stipulation was that you shoot it from that spot.

Hungarian

C'mon, man!
Silver Member
The pissed off wife with the new born baby:

This one scares the living dog sh!t out of me. She comes barreling into the pool room at 1AM in her pajamas with a crying baby. She runs up to her husband who is up 8-3 in a race to 9 for $1,000 screaming about how he is a no good such and such. He precedes to loose 6 in a row, pays off and goes to the store to pick up baby formula and ice cream.

nikotesla

ninja in training
Silver Member
The "I know the owner" guy:

This dude somewhat knows the owner-manager, he can be found by the register, the very end of the bar, or by the office/storage. He has no business whatsoever in the poolroom but see his "buddy", acts like it, meanwhile checking out the waitresses and pool-chicks. When you approach the bored owner to pay your tab, this dude stops talking, eyes you down, doesn't move out of your way all because "he knows the owner".

The "I can be the house pro but I don't want to, I have a life, you poolplayers are pathetic" guy:

This guy plays good, but not that good. He thinks he's mastered the game in every which way. He sets up useless weird drills and shoots them during free pool times, might play in the weekly, drinks one cup of coffee with one free refill.

the Johnny Jumpup

This dude has problems staying still. He bends, hops, kicks, flips to urge that ball to the pocket. The facial expressions during such moment are priceless, but tough to catch on camera. He also moves if he's watching golf on TV, bending sideways to drift the ball.

The Ghost

This guy comes and leaves in the blink of an eye. He's looking for something specific and is gone in a flash if he doesn't see it immediately. The longest he can be seen around is when he's at the bar asking the bartender a question, or out in the parking lot on the phone.

The Handyman

This man can do everything the pool room needs. He replaces light bulbs, cleans tables, fixes tips, mops floors, repairs toilets, electricals, anything and everything. When not working, can be seen playing pretty decent one-pocket.

The Dynamic Duo

These two cannot be seen separately. They play pool together, drink together, ride together, text together, and go to the bathroom together. In rare cases, if one of them is spotted by himself, he qualifies as the ghost and is gone in a flash.

The Sports Fan

He comes in to watch the fight or his favorite sport and that's it. He gets louder as the game advances. He has no business in the poolroom, or any interest in pool; but his buddies like playing and hang out there so he's forced to watch the game/match at the poolhall. He'd rather be at WingHouse hitting on waitresses, but can't do it by himself.

Pre-Flag Master

Cue Ball Man
Silver Member
The Dynamic Duo

These two cannot be seen separately. They play pool together, drink together, ride together, text together, and go to the bathroom together. In rare cases, if one of them is spotted by himself, he qualifies as the ghost and is gone in a flash.

They will sometimes take separate bathroom breaks in order to guard each others' cues. However, the terms of the separation are negotiated thoroughly.

Alf Taylor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What an interesting thread.

I'm sure each one of us who perused the postes saw a touch of ourselves in there somewhere...whether we admit it or not.

I for one, didn't care for how some of them hit too close to home. You SOBs tapping my telephone line or something?

Just kidding with the name calling. I like to think everyone on here is a pal of one sort or another.

You guys forgot to mention the one guy in the place who doesn't say "I'm not here" when the pool room phone rings.
Keep it nice...Alfie

BrokeStroke

I need the wild 2.
Silver Member
The Judge - Sits high in his chair and critiques your game, telling you how easy that last shot you missed was and how you hit it. Won't tell you how to hit it though, because you should learn on your own. Has his own personal ranking system for the regulars. Usually, whoever he is talking to at the moment is the 'weakest' player in the room and couldn't win a game if given the 1 and out.

Never shoots, but has non-regulars believing he used to give top players a ridiculous spot and win every time.

catpool9

"Rack Um"/ Rusty Lock
Silver Member
This is the best thread we have had on AZB in a long time! Rep to Charlie and everyone else!, I have really enjoyed reading all the post.

David Harcrow

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
The Judge - Sits high in his chair and critiques your game, telling you how easy that last shot you missed was and how you hit it. Won't tell you how to hit it though, because you should learn on your own. Has his own personal ranking system for the regulars. Usually, whoever he is talking to at the moment is the 'weakest' player in the room and couldn't win a game if given the 1 and out.

Never shoots, but has non-regulars believing he used to give top players a ridiculous spot and win every time.

You description is ''very close'' to a pool detective.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Played on a team for half season, the Judge being the captain.

After finishing your match and sitting down, she would critique your match.
Asking, why did you shoot that, you should have done this instead, etc.

After losing her match, she would sit down and make excuses for every shot missed. I couldn't see enuff of it, he hooked me etc.

I play to win, not lose obviously but in the end, its supposed to be fun and
playing with a judge can take the fun out of it in a hurry.

Redundant question but why do these people not realize that at any time, there are 40 different ways of seeing the table layout.

Glad it was only a half season other wise I may have been playing the other half in jail.

The Kiss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Big Fish in the Little Pond- guy plays good but never ventures outside of his main room

5 Dollar High Roller- never bets more than 5 dollars even if he has a mortal lock

5 Dollar Magician turns 5 dollars into a couple hundred always doubling the bet but would never bet more than 5 bucks a neat act to see in the works

The Comedian Hustler keeps his mark and the room always laughing as he takes your money. He laughs on his way to the bank.

The Food chain Exists in all rooms small fish gets eaten by a bigger fish and so on.

The Big Guy all rooms have one.

The Super Skinny Guy

The IOU guy pays you later if you win but expects to be paid when he wins.

Half your action guy always looking to cash in but never wants to play/work for the money.

The Banker/ Loan Officer The guy who always carries a Huge Roll and will loan you money if you need it..

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
The nit short stop

Plays ****ing strong. Comes in almost every day, never spends a dollar, never matches up with anyone above C speed. Will play and win the weekly tournament, here and 3-4 other pool halls around town.

...aaaaaaaaaaaand there I am. I figure everyone will see themselves in this thread eventually.