the one that got away

wigglybridge

14.1 straight pool!
Silver Member
finally finished work around 8p, and played for a couple of hours. wish i had the camera running, pretty sure (but not positive because i was consciously Not counting, dammit) that i ran 3 racks and significant change at one point. definitely had at least three 20-somethings.

not too pissed about it though, because everything is falling into place and it feels like only the start of good things coming. lost my death grip on the cue, and pocketing, position, and speed control going into balls are hugely better as a result.

if i can get past some of this end of semester work i gotta do and get to play some, i now think i could even hit the 50 that sparkle is expecting before year end...

Last edited:

sparkle84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
`Better hurry up, you only have about 10 days left, unless you can find a poolroom in Sweden. Sounds like you may be getting a handle on speed control. Not as tough as you thought huh? I've been lurking over on the main forum & the instructors area & one thing I've noticed is people seem to make pool way too complicated. I'm not saying it's easy but so many people are caught up in all kinds of extraneous stuff that isn't worth diddly squat. Once they start to separate the wheat from the chaff is when improvement will begin.

Glad to see things are starting to click, now get back on the table & run 50 balls. Times running out. Not to mention I've been holding back the single most important key to playing great pool & ya ain't getting it till ya run 50. Wait a sec, make that 60. 50's too easy.

Have a nice Christmas with your girl!

Last edited:

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not to mention I've been holding back the single most important key to playing great pool & ya ain't getting it till ya run 50. Wait a sec, make that 60. 50's too easy.

Hey, I've run 60. You can PM me the secret. Thanks. :)

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
lost my death grip on the cue, and pocketing, position, and speed control going into balls are hugely better as a result.

I suppose everybody is different, but for me as well, not only losing the death grip, but also losing the tension in the fingers, wrist, hand etc., PARTICULARLY on contact with the cue ball, is pretty much the key to pocketing balls. The trick is really understanding what it feels like to play without tension. I think of it like this: On a scale of 0 to 100, 0 is no tension at all, and 100 is a full-on "death grip." If I sense tension of even 1 or 2, I begin to have problems. The point of the example is that even small amounts of tension are no good. It's such a small amount that you'd never notice it. Recognizing 1) that there is some tension, and 2) that it matters, is the trick. (It may not matter for easier shots, but when you need good position, have a long shot, or have to hit anything hard, it will matter).

As someone else says, "your mileage may vary," but this is what seems to matter for my stroke.

sparkle84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey, I've run 60. You can PM me the secret. Thanks. :)

Sorry Dan, can't do it. Bob's paying me big, big bucks for this info. One of the conditions of our contract is that this info is his exclusively. If I reveal it elsewhere I have to return the 700 billion pesos he's paid me.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry Dan, can't do it. Bob's paying me big, big bucks for this info. One of the conditions of our contract is that this info is his exclusively. If I reveal it elsewhere I have to return the 700 billion pesos he's paid me.

OK, but Thorston, Alex, Shane, you name it, are coming after you when all the titles are being won by wiggly.

wigglybridge

14.1 straight pool!
Silver Member
well, Thorsten & Schmidt can breathe easy for another day, anyway. played for a few hours tonight, and it was more like hitting dog turds than rolling billiard balls. i wasn't missing shots so much, but the white one had a mind of its own. perverse SOB.

at least a bad day now is running 15-20's. i should fire up the iPhone app again, it tells me what my average inning is, and i still have a bunch of matches in it from months back before sparkle ran me through boot camp. be interesting to see the comparison.

Last edited: