you oughta be in pictures

wigglybridge

14.1 straight pool!
Silver Member
i'd like to publicly thank the people here who've put up videos, and encourage others to do the same.

if you haven't tried making a video of yourself playing, you'll learn a whole lot by doing it. you don't need fancy gear -- i do perfectly usable videos with just my iPhone, or these days pretty much any low end camera will do just fine. it's not going on tv, it's just a video!

but believe it or not, it's tougher to make something that you're willing to put in front of other people than you think. everyone who's done it has laid their game, warts and all, out there for us to pick over. they're brave, and you'll find out if you've got guts enough to do it, too.

maybe it also gives us just a tiny glimmer of the kind of microscope the pro's play under on a daily basis. i know 2 nights ago i ran 42, which is modest for some people here, but super for me. then yesterday i thought "hey, i seem to be in stroke, maybe i can catch one of these runs, maybe even i'll get lucky and beat my high on video. how cool would That be?!?!" yeah, right, i think in 2 hours of trying i ran a 17...

but even if you don't post what you shoot, i Guarantee that you'll learn things about your playing that you had No Idea about. probably in multiple dimensions, like "do i really have that goofy stroke?", or "why didn't i see that pattern?", or "why do i stand like That?". it's really the nutz for seeing your game as it really is, things you can't possibly get in perspective as you're playing.

i hope at some point i'll get brave enough to do what sparkle has been pushing me to do: put up something where i Don't have any good runs, but make all the mistakes i typically make in a real match. one prominent member of the forum sent me a video recently where he told me in advance he was really dogging it. for the first 45 minutes i thought "damn, wish *i* could 'dog it' like that!" then i saw where he fell apart, and i have to say, i really admire him for sharing that with me, and this is someone i already respect a lot. you can't do that unless you've grown a pair.

as much as i like to see the 100's by Bobby and Corey, and Marop's "stuck in 70s' [!]", and enjoy the huge runs i've bought on dvd by Danny & John Schmidt, i think the most amazing videos for me are Mikey's, where he tells you in a very down-to-earth kind of way just what he's trying to do and why. and, sure, i can't play like him; but unlike the pro's, he makes me feel i can at least Imagine that one day maybe i could, by standing on the shoulders of the information he gives in those.

so i'm going on a bit here, but i'll close by saying that i think there are many ways to make a video, and many purposes, both personal and communal, and encourage everyone to give it a try.

Last edited:

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Thumbs Up

Bob, my sincere Thanks for the comments. You are correct when you state that video taping can help a player correct their game. Good deal.