Rules

Dave Nelson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is there a thread for rules questions? If not, would it be a good idea for there to be one? I think so. I will start one.

We finish a rack with the 15th ball in the rack, so we rack the balls with the 15th ball on the head spot. My shot. I hit the corner of the rack too fat and scratch in the corner without making a ball. Opponent has ball in hand behind the head string. Is the ball on the head spot playable? We don't want to spend a bunch of time looking for the answer so we agree that it is not playable and proceed with the match, which I won.

Were we right or wrong? To the person who is poised to answer "yes" to the question, bug off.

Dave Nelson

eales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The last sentence has your answer.

1.5 Cue Ball in Hand
When the cue ball is in hand, the shooter may place the cue ball anywhere on the playing surface (see 8.1 Parts of the Table) and may continue to move the cue ball until he executes a shot. (See definition 8.2 Shot.) Players may use any part of the cue stick to move the cue ball, including the tip, but not with a forward stroke motion. In some games and for most break shots, placement of the cue ball may be restricted to the area behind the head string depending on the rules of the game, and then 6.10 Bad Cue Ball Placement and 6.11 Bad Play from Behind the Head String may apply.
When the shooter has the cue ball in hand behind the head string and all the legal object balls are behind the head string, he may request the legal object ball nearest the head string to be spotted. If two or more balls are equal distance from the head string, the shooter may designate which of the equidistant balls is to be spotted. An object ball that rests exactly on the head string is playable.

Jim Eales