rules

Dave Nelson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My opponent scratches and is on two. I have ball in hand behind the head string with no reasonable shot. Is it legal for me too put the cue ball on the head rail and touch it with my cue tip? Is it legal but unsportsmanlike? Does the rule say I must cross the headstring for a legal safe?

We talked it over and decided that I must cross the headstring.

Dave Nelson

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Yes

Yes, the cue ball must pass the Headstring. If not, than a player could put the cue ball inside of the pocket against the cut rail on the sheft. That would be a heck of a safe.
If the player did not pass the headstring by just touching the cue ball, I would think it would fall under "unsportmenship".

Last edited:

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
As Straight man said, it has to pass the headstring. But ... if you have no realistic shot even with ball in hand behind the headstring, you do have other options of course to keep the ball behind the headstring although perhaps not frozen to the rail.

You could put it on the headstring and shoot across the short side of the table barely crossing the headstring with enough english to take it back behind the headstring and near the end rail.

You could gently lag the CB down table and back up near the headstring.

Or you could simply pocket the CB in any pocket past the headstring. This option of course gives your opponent BIH behind the headstring. But sometimes giving your opponent enough rope .. like this, could end up hanging him. :)

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
My opponent scratches and is on two. I have ball in hand behind the head string with no reasonable shot. Is it legal for me too put the cue ball on the head rail and touch it with my cue tip? Is it legal but unsportsmanlike? Does the rule say I must cross the headstring for a legal safe?

We talked it over and decided that I must cross the headstring.

Dave Nelson
It is good to read the rules from time to time. The rules are available for free and on-line at wpa-pool.com here: http://www.wpa-pool.com/web/the_rules_of_play

Here is the pertinent rule:

6.11 Bad Play from Behind the Head String
When the cue ball is in hand behind the head string, and the first ball the cue ball contacts is also behind the head string, the shot is a foul unless the cue ball crosses the head string before that contact. If such a shot is intentional, it is unsportsmanlike conduct.
The cue ball must either cross the head string or contact a ball in front of or on the head string or the shot is a foul, and the cue ball is in hand for the following player according to the rules of the specific game.

Dave Nelson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks all. Especially you Bob. You know that old saying,"when all else fails, read the instructions".

Dave Nelson