Rules question about the 15th ball and the rack

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
I enjoy playing straight pool and have gotten a few of my playing buddies to give it a try. The problem is we're not good enough pool players to get position for the next rack's break. It's extremely unlikely that we're going to leave a break ball and cue ball in ANY reasonable position for a break shot.

If I'm reading the rules correctly, we can re-rack with the 15th ball on the table (as usual) and then either contact the 15th ball or the rack. In other words, there's no penalty for not shooting a standard (pro) break shot.

If you sink the 15th ball, can you then shoot at the rack? At that point do you have to drive two balls and the CB to a cushion?

Many thanks for your advice. I'm basically trying to come up with a set of rules (or understand the existing rules) that work for half-blind, old guys

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member
I enjoy playing straight pool and have gotten a few of my playing buddies to give it a try. The problem is we're not good enough pool players to get position for the next rack's break. It's extremely unlikely that we're going to leave a break ball and cue ball in ANY reasonable position for a break shot.

If I'm reading the rules correctly, we can re-rack with the 15th ball on the table (as usual) and then either contact the 15th ball or the rack. In other words, there's no penalty for not shooting a standard (pro) break shot.

If you sink the 15th ball, can you then shoot at the rack? At that point do you have to drive two balls and the CB to a cushion?

Many thanks for your advice. I'm basically trying to come up with a set of rules (or understand the existing rules) that work for half-blind, old guys

The standard "pro" break shot, as you call it, just lets you pocket the 15th ball and break out some balls to follow that up.

There's no rule that you HAVE to shoot at the 15th ball after re-racking and if you do (and pocket it) the only rule for shooting at the pile is that something (one ball) has to hit a rail or it's a foul.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Correct. The correct play, if you don't have a reasonable shot on the break ball, is to play safe. If you smash into the rack you still have to call a ball in a pocket. It is unlikely you will make a ball, so it is best to play defensively until you force your opponent into a mistake that gives you an opening to start a run.

On the other hand, there are a couple of shots with a pretty decent probability for success in a friendly game (where the balls are all racked except the 15th ball).

No -- only one ball, OR the cue ball has to go to a rail.