626 is it legit?

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
rodent to hawk

There are a lot of legitimate questions regarding this 626 run that are only gaining more and more traction by John’s refusal to release a video of the entire run. Personally I’m not going to consider it as legit until I carefully watch the entire run. As a lifelong 14.1 player, I’m just very curious as to how many extremely hard shots he had to make to keep this run alive? If it turns out to be too many, I’ll just form my own opinion as to whether or not to believe it.

have u gone from a rodent (most impressive asspec of schmidt's run) to a hawk of truth? What ever made u change yer mind - maybe it was yer conscience eh? Welcome to the politically in-correct air waves there Chris in North Carolina.

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wouldn't know if it is or not as he has not made any public viewing in NY. If he ever does I'll do my best to go watch it and report back.

for now, if he wants to monetize it the way he is, good for him. It's not as if pool players can make a living playing pool right?

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
Thank you

Sorry to have misspell your name Lou :). Thanks for the kind words Wrldpro, yes john has thrown chalk at me while I was sitting in my chair - after he snookered himself in our first tar match and then acted as if I was out of line for questioning such behavior? So I too have seen first hand how he acts when faced with a formidable opponent - he is a disgrace to the game when he's losing. As far as letting it go Wrlpro - as the Beatles would say 'Let It Be', I have tried to not resist the tides of change with my own force. However - I won't with this, the first pocket billiard book I was gifted was Mosconi's, it greatly improved my game as a young shaver and I look forward to the mystery tape of 626 washing ashore 4 john cue public to see - I think there hoping the evidence will be devoured by the sharks - not going to happen.

I concur with you Lou - extraordinary claims - do require extraordinary evidence. Or as Uncle Ben would say "With great power comes - great responsibility". They have made a powerful claim - now let them be responsible or held accountable for the grandeur claim. Thank you Lou and Wrldpro for being a breath of fresh air to the media slime that exists in our society today. They have eluded the responsibility aspect of showing evidence - they should be ashamed of themselves, using the public as if we are apart of a hall of fame media experiment - in order to try and put a player like schmidt on what is possibly a very phony pedestal is truly a sad state of affairs for our great game of 14.1. Yall are both good players and it makes sense that you would want to see evidence - as I do. I do not question that schmidt is not a hall of fame candidate, however if part of that deal was to mislead the public and hide the evidence - it's a travesty to Mosconi's record. Also keep in mind there was an affidavit with fifteen signatures for Mosconi's claim - and the pool room was open. In john's run there were 3 people present and the pool room was closed.

I have said this before and I will say it again, Steak 'n Shake says (good steak burger) - 'if it's out in sight - it must be right', One of my favorite musicians Charlie Rich said no one knows what goes on 'behind closed doors'. The mystery tape of their claim - remains behind closed doors.

Last edited:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
have u gone from a rodent (most impressive asspec of schmidt's run) to a hawk of truth? What ever made u change yer mind - maybe it was yer conscience eh? Welcome to the politically in-correct air waves there Chris in North Carolina.
I never stated in my post that I absolutely believed he did it. I was simply stating the hardest aspects of his 45 consecutive rack run was in managing to set up 45 consecutive high percentage break shots, and then not only successfully executing those break shots but managing to leave himself a makeable shot following the break shot, 45 consecutive times. I do agree with you and others that the longer John waits to release this tape however he chooses to do so, the more questions and suspicions I have surrounding the legitimacy of the run.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Review some of the practice videos from the js team on YouTube. You will immediately see proof of shot collaboration between team members. You will also see that no matter how high you turned your volume, you could never understand their discussion of shots. The rack man stayed in front of the camera until js was practically down onto his shot routine. There will probably be no audio included on the proposed original video prior to their voice over of the video. Leaves a lot to the imagination, no? Ante up the original and remove all legitimacy questions. Lend no credence to I said, you said, he said. The original video will speak for itself, until then nothing happened.
WOW. Are you and Harriman related? Both buy your tin-foil hats at the same store? I'm thinkin' you guys must be related to Oliver Stone

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Review some of the practice videos from the js team on YouTube. You will immediately see proof of shot collaboration between team members. You will also see that no matter how high you turned your volume, you could never understand their discussion of shots. The rack man stayed in front of the camera until js was practically down onto his shot routine. There will probably be no audio included on the proposed original video prior to their voice over of the video. Leaves a lot to the imagination, no? Ante up the original and remove all legitimacy questions. Lend no credence to I said, you said, he said. The original video will speak for itself, until then nothing happened.
I don’t understand the need for an entire team to be accompanying John in this effort, which sounds suspicious in itself. I assume the video cameras are mounted stationary, so why would he need more than one person to handle the video stuff, and that same person could rack the balls for him if for some reason he doesn’t wish to do it himself?

Obviously the more people he got involved in his team, the considerably higher his $ expenses would be for this effort, particularly over a period of months. Unless John was financed in this effort and even if he was, there would have been growing financial pressure from his backers for him to set this record as soon as possible, as his expenses continued to mount.

Sadly, it’s quite apparent John and his team didn’t think through a detailed plan of action in getting this video successfully to market in a timely fashion, if he was to accomplish this record breaking run.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's what you get for thinking when you're not used to it.
I don't give a RAT's A$$ what you think. Refer to MR600 posts to find out how xradarxharrimanxradarx exist. If you have something intelligent to say, please feel free to post it, if you know to who(m) you wish to post to. xradarx
You need help. Go find it. Both runs were EXHIBITIONS. Who, at the end of the day, really gives a shit?? Posting something intelligent seems to be above both of your pay grades.

Last edited:

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
Ok

I never stated in my post that I absolutely believed he did it. I was simply stating the hardest aspects of his 45 consecutive rack run was in managing to set up 45 consecutive high percentage break shots, and then not only successfully executing those break shots but managing to leave himself a makeable shot following the break shot, 45 consecutive times. I do agree with you and others that the longer John waits to release this tape however he chooses to do so, the more questions and suspicions I have surrounding the legitimacy of the run.

Ok - but u have a strange way of sitting on the fence. Yes they are holding the evidence hostage to the public, I do believe there is a reason. Also in yer prior post u did not mention the 'hardest aspects' u said the 'most impressive aspect' rearranging yer words hmm and ur prior post did lean towards implying john's run was fully legit beyond the shadow of a hidden mystery tape, now that a couple other posters agree with me it seems to me that u r changing ur tune completely - maybe u had a change of art' please don't be a puppet - we have enough of them already - they all have subscribed to nyslimes,facebook and bca bar leegs'. I don't care 4 yer style of journalism at all. u are too wishy washy for me. as for Wrlpro, myself and Lou - we all have something in common - we can think for ourselves - don't be such a follower - it makes u look weak.

Last edited:

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
keep playin one hole

https://cdn.ymaws.com/bca-pool.com/resource/resmgr/press_releases/schmidt_new_high_run_record_.pdf

The BCA reviewed the unedited tape before formally announcing that Schmidt broke the record. That gives credibility to the claim.

I’m sure the BCA has its faults, but it is the recognized body for the sport and is generally perceived as a reputable organization. The BCA gains very little from recognizing Schmidt’s run, but has a lot to lose (reputation-wise) if ever it was found that the evidence didn’t support their public statement. The last thing any bureaucratic organization wants is to issue a retraction.

I shoot fairly often at Billiard of Springfield, by the way. The locals are all proud of your accomplishments as a player. Have you considered making your own concerted effort at breaking Schmidt’s record? Many people think you’re one of the few who are capable of doing it. It would probably require the same full-time commitment that it did for Schmidt.

Seems like the sweetest resolution to this debate would be to snatch the record away from him. Just make sure that you don’t make the same mistake he did by failing to post the video on YouTube while it was still newsworthy. Trust me, money will come with more eyeballs.

I would keep playin round with one hole at the sports bar with the other ol bunters, I aint too proud to call that our local room. I am sure u know more bout business than me, you do however lack knowledge to think for yourself - on this subject. Careful most hippies I know have the ability to not be programmed noose' machines. Even if someone I thought well of within the pocket billiard world - was to claim to have surpassed Mosconi's true certified record - I would hold them accountable to the same standards as I do John (Andy Vollaria). You would do yourself some good to listen to players like Lou and myself in regarding to their possible fake news scandal from charlie williams (predator cues) and schmidt. Lou and I are of course way better player than you at One Hole and u would do well to heed our advice when it comes to not being a puppet for the fake news media, the bca is one of john's hidden pocket sponsors and should not be the only adjudicator of record keeping on this - I'm not sure their checks are totally balanced. :-(

In case u could not tell I am my own governing body for Straight Pool - I have earned it too - through many, many hrs of practice and Sacrifice. With great talent comes great accountability and u can consider me apart of the law in reference to 14.1 - I can pass the bar code there with flying colors that don't run. 4 all I I see rt now with the bca is what is very possibly a large politically motivated business blunder with this mystery tape of exactly 100 more than Mosconi's real record. So far the bca's claim is a total blunder - but they have some connections with nyslimes and a couple other fake news org's - I guess they always have clean shirts to play around in.

Last edited:

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
The 626, for all the hype, isn't all that significant, or at least not as much as it should have been. Yes it was a major achievement that needed doing. That being said, it's a practise achievement, not an actual sporting one. For Mosconi, his record was part of his carefully constructed persona (by Brunswick and himself) of the stylish gentleman who plays the game better than anybody else. The 526 was just the icing on that cake, something that looked good on a poster and impressed people. Mosconi had a legitimate claim to being the best straight pool player of his era, possibly of all time. The high run record may have cemented that claim, but wasn't really necessary. Also it was achieved more or less accidentally, or incidentally I should say. That of course was also made part of the lore. "He quit because he got tired", etc.

John Schmidt is a great straight pool player, one of the very best in fact. But I don't think you can make the claim that he's positively THE best. In our era that would probably be Hohmann though it's not as clear as the previous ones, before him Ortman, then Sigel, Mizerak, Crane and Mosconi. So when JS with great purpose tried to break that record, under ideal conditions, trying over and over again, it really didn't work as a sort of icing on the cake or jewel in a crown. It became more of a separate achievement, like consecutive free throws or whatever. Both separated from the game itself, and from the the record holders player status. It may not be fair, but thats how it was perceived, IMO. Now most people have no real understanding of how tough of an achievement it is, it needs a lot of explaining, I'd say, to maybe 80% of even the hard core players of other pool games. This fact does of course not help JS' cause any. He doesn't have Brunswick back him up, on a salary, with slick ad-men writing up his achievements.

What would have been needed for this achievement to be cemented would be rivalry between the top players, where they were all trying to break it. Maybe some sort of personal grudge between them that would culminate in a sort of private competition. It would need to be done publicly, for all to see. The opposite has happened. I don't see anyone going after it, and the video is nowhere to be seen. The whole thing was a wasted opportunity, in a sport rife with them.

Last edited:

crazysnake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe John did it. He ran 100 balls more than Mosconi, it's on video, and hopefully one day I'll see it. His effort and achievement are astounding.

I really appreciate all of the commentary (mostly negative) on this thread. It is truly unfortunate that this is the only platform available for doubters and believers alike to complain or voice concern about John's claim. So I have a small request for the doubters. Please, please complain more. Complain louder. Be more confrontational. Show the world how much you love and care about the game by tearing down this obvious fakery and cover up (or supporting John, if it's real and legitimate). Please let's get to the truth about this run.
Cs

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe John did it. He ran 100 balls more than Mosconi, it's on video, and hopefully one day I'll see it. His effort and achievement are astounding.

I really appreciate all of the commentary (mostly negative) on this thread. It is truly unfortunate that this is the only platform available for doubters and believers alike to complain or voice concern about John's claim. So I have a small request for the doubters. Please, please complain more. Complain louder. Be more confrontational. Show the world how much you love and care about the game by tearing down this obvious fakery and cover up (or supporting John, if it's real and legitimate). Please let's get to the truth about this run.
Cs

OK, here you go -- to me his effort was not unlike Kipchoge recently breaking the 2 hour marathon mark.

Kipchoge, a fabulous runner, used every trick in the book, including a flat, straight course; a cool, windless day; specialized shoes unreleased to the public from Nike; and a team of runners who ran in front and in back of him to reduce drag, with laser point markers projected on to the road from a pace car to show the way.

All that's fine I suppose... if you don't care about the spirit of the record.

So whaddahey. Let's get some guy to do a run, with a wide-mouth table, polishing the balls every rack, and with shaved slates that allow an OB to track into the pocket no matter how poorly hit. Or how about a down hill marathon?

Still the record, right?

Lou Figueroa

crazysnake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hmmm, shaved slates that allow the balls to track into the pockets. That sounds really suspicious. This is the kind of stuff I'm talking about. That's almost like cheating.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OK, here you go -- to me his effort was not unlike Kipchoge recently breaking the 2 hour marathon mark.

Kipchoge, a fabulous runner, used every trick in the book, including a flat, straight course; a cool, windless day; specialized shoes unreleased to the public from Nike; and a team of runners who ran in front and in back of him to reduce drag, with laser point markers projected on to the road from a pace car to show the way.

So whaddahey. Let's get some guy to do a run, with a wide-mouth table, polishing the balls every rack, and with shaved slates that allow an OB to track into the pocket no matter how poorly hit. Or how about a down hill marathon?

Still the record, right?

Lou Figueroa
While much of your post is spot on, I think you do your position a great deal of injustice by the overstatement about polishing balls every rack and the allegation of shaved slates.

Are either of these tweaks documented fact, or just 'could have beens'?

And an earlier poster pointed out the lack of sponsors. Those with the money:
1- often offer product, in "Lou' of cash., And
B- had a good sense of the tangible worth of the record.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hmmm, shaved slates that allow the balls to track into the pockets. That sounds really suspicious. This is the kind of stuff I'm talking about. That's almost like cheating.

Until it is proven, it is less likely true than the 626 itself.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
While much of your post is spot on, I think you do your position a great deal of injustice by the overstatement about polishing balls every rack and the allegation of shaved slates.

Are either of these tweaks documented fact, or just 'could have beens'?

And an earlier poster pointed out the lack of sponsors. Those with the money:
1- often offer product, in "Lou' of cash., And
B- had a good sense of the tangible worth of the record.

Really?

I didn’t suggest any of that happened during JS run. I was saying that if you do not care about particulars and just want a number then why not.

Lou Figueroa

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member

Still the record, right?

Lou Figueroa

It’s funny you mentioned that. I remember reading the below article in fall and I thought about the 626.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/...b-two-hour-marathon-how-legitimate-it/599974/

PoolPlayer4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
xradarx: The table JS broke the record on was not out of the normal traffic area. It was the first table on the right as you walk into the front entrance of Easy Street Billiards in Monterey. Every person entering or leaving the place would have been in the line of sight and traffic area of a player on that table. There's also a table next to it on the left.

Danny: Put up a 627! We'd all love to see it and would pay for the video. And, it would end the debate forever. We know you can do it!