Rules question. In one pocket you win a game, then rerack

fan-tum

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
for the next game, when it is discovered that one player should've been spotted a ball. Is the preceding game to be automatically replayed or what?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
for the next game, when it is discovered that one player should've been spotted a ball. Is the preceding game to be automatically replayed or what?
Snooze you lose. ;) IMO, once the game is over its over. Someone needs to learn to pay attention.

Last edited:

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member

If this is in a Tournment, the Tournment Director will make the call. I recently became aware of a rule where if more then 4 or 5 ball are up table, one is stopped on the Spot at foot of table. Makes the game move faster.

Your question is good, I am all ears.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You snooze you lose is correct. In your case the entire game was played without the spot. Too late.

Some people play if an owed ball is later remembered, both players shot an inning and then it’s respotted. That’s probably rarely played that way, and snooze lose is the default.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... and snooze lose is the default.
Not for forgotten balls, at least not since the 1970s around here. I've always thought of "snooze you lose" as a nasty practice of sharpers, who will never spot a ball they owe unless their opponent demands it.

As far as the OP goes, I think it's too late to call back a game once the next has started, but this points out that it's a good idea that the "winner" should get the approval of the "loser" if he is the one that will gather the balls for the next game.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I get snooze/lose, but seems fairer if the game is scrubbed... replay.

its really not necessarily fairer
lets say you were ahead 7-2 most likely you win
next game an early mistake costs you and you are down 7-2
you earned the right to be close to winning
however what i think is the correct "rule" is
if the person ahead racked the balls before he actually won he forfeits the game
if the person who racked the balls was losing then he conceded the game and too bad

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not for forgotten balls, at least not since the 1970s around here. I've always thought of "snooze you lose" as a nasty practice of sharpers, who will never spot a ball they owe unless their opponent demands it.

As far as the OP goes, I think it's too late to call back a game once the next has started, but this points out that it's a good idea that the "winner" should get the approval of the "loser" if he is the one that will gather the balls for the next game.
I've never even heard the word "sharpers" and i've never seen players refuse to spot one unless commanded to. EVER. You snooze, you lose. Learn to pay attention. This isn't church or day-school.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... You snooze, you lose. Learn to pay attention. ...
As I implied, different areas play differently. Here's a better snoozing rule:

If you owe a ball and you fail to spot it before the other player is ready to shoot, you are penalized another ball. That will teach you to be responsible.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As I implied, different areas play differently. Here's a better snoozing rule:

If you owe a ball and you fail to spot it before the other player is ready to shoot, you are penalized another ball. That will teach you to be responsible.

Ha, I like that!

I really do think in the vast majority of cases a forgotten ball is not done on purpose, but rather both players truly forgot. I got the impression on the OP's case the players were playing with a handicap and forgot to start the game off with it, and played the whole game even. But who knows.

Lots of strange things happen in one pocket. Like shooting at the wrong hole! Who hasn't done that? One time I was playing an expensive game, and spotting some balls I owed after a run. I went oblivious and picked up the CB to spot it thinking it was an OB. I didn't even realize what I was doing until my opponent looks at me with a confused look on his face and says "what are you doing"? I then ended up having a dumb look on my face.