2020 Champion of Champions question

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
In fact, she took longer than that. It's clear from the video that Yang asked her to clean the cueball right after he shot, because she walks into sight when the clock is at 39 seconds, and is already on her way to cleaning the cueball. When she moves away from the table after replacing the cueball there is literally 1 second left on the shot clock.

I have no problem with a rule that says that the time the referee uses to clean the cueball counts on the shot clock, but if you are going to allow a player to ask the referee to clean the cueball then it should not be possible to lose your turn at the table because the referee literally takes up the entire shot clock so that it is impossible for you to shoot in time.

And as long as she took to clean the cue ball, she apparently didn't feel she had even done a very good job because the first thing she did after that long delay to make the ruling, at the 1hr 56min 30sec mark, was to clean the ball again before handing it to Chang for his ball in hand. :eek: Maybe it was just a brain fart out of habit, but either way it kind of rubs salt in the wound lol.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
30 seconds to clean the cue ball. I call foul on the ref! :sorry:
Weak sauce by Chang as well.

I don't think its ridiculous for Chang to have called this out. I believe in Taiwan they follow the rules explicitly, its different than here. Do you remember the Manny tournament in the Philippines where you had to call the 10, even if it was obvious? And pro after pro called their opponent on it? Efren won the tournament, his last big win, I believe.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I don't think its ridiculous for Chang to have called this out. I believe in Taiwan they follow the rules explicitly, its different than here. Do you remember the Manny tournament in the Philippines where you had to call the 10, even if it was obvious? And pro after pro called their opponent on it? Efren won the tournament, his last big win, I believe.

Agreed in principle, but let's not pretend that every rule is applied to the letter of the law. It' still very common for a player to touch the cue ball (that has no chance to scratch into a pocket) a little before it comes to a full stop after pocketing the nine ball. Not even once have I seen it called a foul. Not calling a foul in such an instance is a courtesy customarily extended between players, even in the biggest events.

The problem is the rules, not the players. Ball cleaning and use of the template are the two areas in which the rules need to be spelt out more clearly as these absurd situations, which seem to confuse referees and players alike, seem to be arising more and more.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
SJM: you must have missed Daulton vs Karl Boyes at the US Open 3 or 4 years back.

Daulton wanted to strangle him! :)

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They should have a 15 second rule for cleaning CB and limit it to a few times during a match. Want the ball cleaned - stop the clock and take 15 seconds off.

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I were pool dictator I would institute a rule that the player is not allowed to ask for the cue ball to be cleaned at all in the middle of a rack.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
SJM: you must have missed Daulton vs Karl Boyes at the US Open 3 or 4 years back.

Daulton wanted to strangle him! :)

Yes, I was at that US Open, but happen to have been watching a different match at the time. I recall there were some hard feelings, but don't remember the specifics.

Cezar Morales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
30 seconds to clean the cue ball. I call foul on the ref! :sorry:
Weak sauce by Chang as well.

Ref did mess up imo
The shot clock indicate 40 secs left when yang called for the ball to be clean
Ref took almost 18 secs to get from one side of the table to the cue ball
( there wasnt any sense of urgency or common sense displayed )
Buddy hall or kid delicious weighin 200 pounds would got there in 5 secs .
Took almost 12 seconds to get the cue ball position tracker in place n wipe
( understandable , cant rush that )
But she did all that without observing the time on the shot clock
Thats not the end , before decided if its actually a foul , she picked up the cue ball without placing the cue ball position tracker in place , IS SHE DRUNK LOL

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ref did mess up imo
The shot clock indicate 40 secs left when yang called for the ball to be clean
Ref took almost 18 secs to get from one side of the table to the cue ball
( there wasnt any sense of urgency or common sense displayed )
Buddy hall or kid delicious weighin 200 pounds would got there in 5 secs .
Took almost 12 seconds to get the cue ball position tracker in place n wipe
( understandable , cant rush that )
But she did all that without observing the time on the shot clock
Thats not the end , before decided if its actually a foul , she picked up the cue ball without placing the cue ball position tracker in place , IS SHE DRUNK LOL
Totally agree. When i watched this i had no clue what had happened. Now that i know its clear that she was completely clueless as a ref. What's Chinese for 'dumpster fire'???

Cezar Morales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Totally agree. When i watched this i had no clue what had happened. Now that i know its clear that she was completely clueless as a ref. What's Chinese for 'dumpster fire'???

No idea lol
But the commentators mentioned sacarstically that if it takes 30 secs for her to clean the ball , maybe she needs to get paid more to speed up haha
That was a game changer for sure
Yang wld have cleaned that rack up most probably and it woulda been a hill hill
He showed a lot of heart and i saw a reflection of his stone cold younger days as the Money Game King
Nobody would gamble evenly with him back in the days , not even wu or chang whos now the king in taiwan , dennis orcollo tried n got fried in his hometown .
Wish someone cld post yang and dennis playing in a 10 ball rematch race to 60

briclops

If the shot clock is not stopped for cleaning the ball, the ref should give the ball to the player to clean and the ref repositions it, so that the burning of the clock is on the player. Another option is to have a second cue ball that is already cleaned that can be swapped in immediately.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... That was a game changer for sure
Yang wld have cleaned that rack up most probably and it woulda been a hill hill ...

Yes, quite possibly a match changer, but that is unknowable. The score was 7-4 Yang before that game, so it would have become 8-4 instead of 7-5, a 4-game lead instead of 2. And there is no telling how the episode affected Yang mentally for the rest of the match, where he made a number of mistakes and lost 6 of 8 games.