72 Ball Run

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Please, click on this Link below to watch my video of my run.
The run ended when I got stuck in the rack off of a break shot. There was a ball up table that I would of played in a match and called a safety on. I cut the video off when I got stuck b/c I took a long time to study the rack. Did not want everyone to sit there, while I was taking so long to do nothing.
Hope you all enjoy the run.

http://vimeo.com/10365861

I also have another Link of a "3 Rail Kick Shot" (that also was a combo) that I made about a month or so ago. I was on a 18 ball run and I ended up with no shot. (which happens often). I took this 3 rail shot & made it. Ended up running about 20 more balls before missing a shot. I only posted the two shots prior to the 3 rail kick & 3 shots afterwards. (Short video)
Don't ever let anyone tell you that 14.1 is nothing but shooting straight shots. In straight pool, we have all parts of other games such as: Banks, Kicks, Caroms, Combinations & Defense.

http://vimeo.com/10367259

Last edited:

JohnnyP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You have a really straight stroke.

What weight is your cue?

The three rail kick was pretty good. I thought you were going to go the other way, around the bottom of the table.

Loading your 72 ball run right now. Keep 'em coming.

sascha

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, nice smooth run. You got in trouble more times in this run than in the 70 ball run though. Try to take more time between shots, would definetly help you not getting into bad spots that much.

i like the way you play, i enjoy watching your uns, keep em coming my friend.

mworkman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice run

Hi, nice video. You're a quick shooter, I like that. You just seem to know what to do. Just wondering what your high run is? Thanks:thumbup:

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Thanks

Hi, nice video. You're a quick shooter, I like that. You just seem to know what to do. Just wondering what your high run is? Thanks:thumbup:

Mworkman:
Thanks for the nice comment. My high run is 116, which I did so many years ago that it seem like a dream. I did run 108 & 105 about a year ago.
I am running way more higher runs now then I have ever ran in my whole Life. I am way more consistent which is one of my goals.
I feel with the improvements that I am achieving on my skill level. I will be able to run 100 often.

Sascha:
Thanks for your comments also. I am working on my speed but it is very hard. It seems like when I am in that grove, I feel that I can not miss any shot on the table and that pace just flows with it.
Getting myself in trouble is a big problem, which ends most of my runs.
That is something that I am really working on, along with setting up my break shots and break shots them selves. Getting a good shot after the break is a job in its self.
Your comments are always welcomed. Thanks.

JohnnyP:
Thanks for your comments. I am shooting with a cue that my mentor LeRoy Kinman gave me. It is a Palmer #11 from the 3rd Catalog.
It is 19.5 oz with a 13mm shaft. Plays great.
I just purchase a Palmer (Pete Margo's) PM11
I should be getting it soon. I can't wait.
Glad you like the 3 rail kick. My family was making fun of me b/c of my excitment.... LOL

Last edited:

Hank

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Mike,another great run with PINK FLOYD playing in the backround.I think your 70 ball run ended on a similar shot.Take your time and easy STROKE on those long shots.THANK YOU FOR SHARING!!>>HANK<<

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mike,I enjoyed your videos.Great shooting and good taping! I want to see
some of that next time we play.
3 rail kick was cool to hear how much you enjoyed making it! Take care,Jack.

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Ran 65 Today

Thanks Charlie for your compliment. I appreciate it. I had sent you a PM.
I had a good practice today and ran 65. I scratched off the rack during a break shot to end the run. Not the way I like ending runs. Not good at all, but over all I am pleased and I am having good runs every day.

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
65 & 70

I ran 65 tonight and missed a very makable shot to end the run.
I also ran 70 right after that and missed another long break shot to end that run. The battery in my camcorder ran out and I did not get the whole 70 run on video (the 4th rack is missing before I realized that the recorder had stopped) I switched batteries and ran one more rack before missing. I do have the 65 ball run, which came first. If I do not do better tomorrow. I will post the 65 Sunday night.

Tommyd1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mike,

Great music and a very nice smooth run. The 3 rail kick shot was the nuts, I can see why you were so excited

Nice to see you playing with an old classic, can't get much more classic than an old Palmer. That was certainly one of the cues around when straight pool was the only game in town.

I really enjoyed your video, thanks so much for posing it. Looks like you have a great room :wink:

I'm looking forward to seeing you more and more as you game keeps improving.

You sure make things look easy, as it should look.

Good luck to you in your quest, I'm sure you'll reach your goals.

Tommyd1

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Thanks

Mike,

Great music and a very nice smooth run. The 3 rail kick shot was the nuts, I can see why you were so excited

Nice to see you playing with an old classic, can't get much more classic than an old Palmer. That was certainly one of the cues around when straight pool was the only game in town.

I really enjoyed your video, thanks so much for posing it. Looks like you have a great room :wink:

I'm looking forward to seeing you more and more as you game keeps improving.

You sure make things look easy, as it should look.

Good luck to you in your quest, I'm sure you'll reach your goals.

Tommyd1

Tommy,
Thanks so much for the nice comments & the PM. I really appreciate it.
Yes, I like older classic looking cues. The Palmer I have and the Pete Margo # 11 look like a cue that I had when I was 17 growing up in NY.
Go to my profile page. I wrote a small bio in the comment section.
At the bottom, there is a Link to click on. It will take you to the story
behind my pool table and on the 2nd page there are photos of my game room.
I will post that 65 ball run later today. Last night I ran 70, which I thought was a pretty clean run, except the last rack. I got out of line badly on the last 4 or 5 balls and made some unbelievable shots to get to a hard break shot, but missed it to end it at 70.

Thanks "mjantti" for your comment.

Last edited:

sausage

Banned
hey straightman:

you should have challenged Chen to a nice game of 14.1. you are on the verge of greatness. it took me all night to down that video but right or wrong, here's what i saw:

first rack:

you hit that dead ball to hard.
next shot, you hit to hard and missed the cluster.

second rack:

scary first shot could have been hit with follow to get certain position on ball near foot rail corner.
a few shots later you took a reckless behind the rack break off the rail. you had that corner ball still and maybe could have used it for position or a break on the cluster.
you almost finished up the rack like a pro after that luckout shot ;) but hurried and got bad on your key to the key leaving a tough cut on the third break ball

third rack:

you sort of squandered a chance when behind the rack to get on that nice secondary break ball on the left side of the table as viewed by the camera and eventually it left you very tough on a super thin cut behind the rack. a few shots later you were forced to shoot your break balls but recovered nicely at the end.

fourth rack:

nice break, not to hard.

fifth rack:

nice break.
you go into the two balls at the bottom when i would have stopped the cue and dealt with that cluster on the right side of the table hoping to leave the 1ball for a break. you could then use those two balls to get that ball down table.

you got into trouble and recovered but got stuck on the pack.

you have a good eye and great shot-making ability. i think you need to slow down, shoot softer and think a little more about other options. overall nice shooting though.

Ashley

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Mike!

Just wanted to say that the one time we played each other, it was incredibly enlightening and definitely a great learning experience for me! I'm still pissed I didn't get to watch you and Guernsey play.....maybe next time...

Anyways, when I come back through again, hopefully we can play and maybe I'll beat you this time!

Ashley Nandrasy

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Thanks

Hey Mike!

Just wanted to say that the one time we played each other, it was incredibly enlightening and definitely a great learning experience for me! I'm still pissed I didn't get to watch you and Guernsey play.....maybe next time...

Anyways, when I come back through again, hopefully we can play and maybe I'll beat you this time!

Ashley Nandrasy

Ashley: Thank you so much for the wonderful comment. It is very much appreciated. Good luck at the BCA State Tournament. I can not make this one. I am disappointed but there will be more to come.
Looking forward to our 14.1 match.