Mini lesson with John = 120

Marop

14.1 - real pool
Silver Member
Schmidty and I left Las Vegas yesterday and drove down to my house. He unwound from the trip by running 199 in his third attempt. After the run we went to dinner and when we came back he gave me a little lesson on shot making. He said I have to get more comfortable shooting some shots that I presently shy away from on large runs. We did this for about a half hour.

Today he went on motorcycle ride with his dad. I figured this was the only day I will be getting any table time on my own table for the week he is here. lol. So I woke up and ran 56 this morning, tried again after work and ran 54, after dinner I got a few good rolls and ran 120. I guess the lesson paid off.

I am truly lucky to have one of the best pool players in the world as my best friend.

http://vimeo.com/11941164

-Bill

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
Congratz Bill :eek:)

For sure it s always nice and important to have a *best friend*- just for this i could say grats!

But...if this *friend* has this nice feature to be one of the best straight-pool players ever.....it s a real win^^

Enjoying that you have so much fun Bill,

lg
Ingo

berniep

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Schmidty and I left Las Vegas yesterday and drove down to my house. He unwound from the trip by running 199 in his third attempt. After the run we went to dinner and when we came back he gave me a little lesson on shot making. He said I have to get more comfortable shooting some shots that I presently shy away from on large runs. We did this for about a half hour.

Today he went on motorcycle ride with his dad. I figured this was the only day I will be getting any table time on my own table for the week he is here. lol. So I woke up and ran 56 this morning, tried again after work and ran 54, after dinner I got a few good rolls and ran 120. I guess the lesson paid off.

I am truly lucky to have one of the best pool players in the world as my best friend.

http://vimeo.com/11941164

-Bill

Bill,

Congrats!

That was without doubt the "gutsyiest" 120 I've ever seen! Some great saves early on.

Well done!

Bernie.

Last edited:

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
a t o m r o f l

A good friend (not a pool-player at all, but able to make a run-out on 8-ball) watched your 120 over my shoulder.
His comment nails it. Watching you playing 14-1 makes him feel that everyone could do that-LOL

Really a compliment imo- you re playin this game so f....ng good.
Like ever...Hats off Bill,

lg
Ingo

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
CONGRATS BILL !!!!!!

Doesnt that tie your high ? and to have it recorded is a real bonus. i knew it wouldnt be long before you did it again !!!!

i am so jealous of you having so much time to spend with Johnny. i have never seen how you play before you started shooting under john's wing, but i can see alot of john's technology in your game.

keep it up kid....i can smell another one coming real soon !

btw: that must be your lucky shirt, you wore that when you caught your 100 on tape.....be careful, it looks like it may fit me !!!!!! LOL

Steve

Last edited:

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
another smooth hondo

Jesus, Eddie. I wake up and this is what I see? I at first thought it might be a post from Sascha because I knew Sascha had a little lesson from John in Vegas. Since I spoke to you last night, I didn't think it was you so soon.

It used to take you a while after he left before you hit your stride but apparently now you get more comfortable quickly. I could kind of sense you are getting more comfortable playing with him when you told me about a few games you had with him, where you were holding your own for a while. And then there is the dinner you won from him.

I told you yesterday you'd be getting a buck and a half within a few weeks of when John leaves. Maybe I have to move up the timetable.

Drop another one before he gets back today.

Last edited:

POCKETWOLF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That was pretty impressive Bill, looks like you were nice and relaxed. Cograts on the run! As a sidenote, I'm pretty sure i'll freeze up solid around 50, hope to get there soon and find out. I need to go play.....see ya.

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
that must be your lucky shirt, you wore that when you caught your 100 on tape.....be careful, it looks like it may fit me !!!!!! LOL

Steve

SK,
I say we meet at DCC next year, wait until the day we see Marop wearing that shirt, jump him and divest him of that shirt. While we might incur a few bumps and bruises, it is BOUND to help our games (we can split time with the magic shirt)....would be a lot easier than practicing....just a thought....I can't do it by myself without significant weaponry....

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
120 Ball Run

Bill...... Congrats on your great, great run. I have not had a chance to watch your video yet but will do tomorrow.
You are a great establish player. Keep on going.

sausage

Banned
i'm still downloading it! :angry: dialup really sux...

did you happen to get schmidt's 190 on tape? if so will there be commentary?

dash

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Real nice!!
I see you breaking 150-175 REAL soon.You may already have by the time you read this..lol
Please keep recording your runs(that goes for eveyone:thumbup:)

--DASH--

Marop

14.1 - real pool
Silver Member
i'm still downloading it! :angry: dialup really sux...

did you happen to get schmidt's 190 on tape? if so will there be commentary?

I video tape everything and save everything over 100 from John. We are doing the commentary on his 294 on a Diamond this week. If he gets anything over 300 on my table we will also do a player review on it.

mikeyfrost

Socially Aware
Silver Member
You know I dont even like straight pool all that much but you Marop are a freakin rock star. I literally watched the whole video and you hit them real sporty. I beat a friend in a race to 100 today and put up 2 runs over 20 balls in my 3rd game of straight pool ever. I played solely because of your video.

I can safely say that running a 100 is way tougher than a package of 9-ball. Not even comparable. I'd compare it to when you see Gabe or Scott run several 13 and outs giving up weight.

Great job and great shooting! Oh and JS is a good man and he has lots of knowledge to share.

sausage

Banned
I video tape everything and save everything over 100 from John. We are doing the commentary on his 294 on a Diamond this week. If he gets anything over 300 on my table we will also do a player review on it.
good, because when schmidt comes home from a motersickle ride without arms, those vids will increase in value like oil after a pipeline burst. :grin-square:

Marop; said:
He said I have to get more comfortable shooting some shots that I presently shy away from on large runs. We did this for about a half hour.

could those be side-pocket shots by chance?

there are two bits of advice to which i often harken:

Dick Lane: "practice your weaknesses."
My Dad, re driving: "leave room for error."

marop: i'm not picking apart your most excellent run but i have one question: at 10:30 into the tape, i thought you had a perfect opportunity here to knock the 7ball up for a key on the 4ball leaving that 13ball? at the corner for insurance. instead you shot the 6ball? then the stripped ball which got you into a lot of trouble. but it wasn't all your fault. "To Sir With Love" was playing. :grin-square:

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 232
Last edited:

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
Holy schmoly Marop! Or I better say Holy Schmidty? :) That's freaking great you still have something to learn from John. His game looks to be an inspiration for everyone. Congratulations on hitting your best on video.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
John ran a 199 to unwind? Guess he and I unwind differently. Nice 120 ball run, Bill. Was nice seeing both you and John in Vegas.

Marop

14.1 - real pool
Silver Member
could those be side-pocket shots by chance?

marop: i'm not picking apart your most excellent run but i have one question: at 10:30 into the tape, i thought you had a perfect opportunity here to knock the 7ball up for a key on the 4ball leaving that 13ball? at the corner for insurance. instead you shot the 6ball? then the stripped ball which got you into a lot of trouble. but it wasn't all your fault. "To Sir With Love" was playing. :grin-square:

Not side pocket shots. Shots that 9 ball players make more often than straight pool players, long spin shots going two and three rails for position.

-Bill
You are correct sir, after I looked at the video the correct shot was to go into the 7 ball, than shoot the strip and than the 6 Good catch.

john schmidt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hi

bill and i just got back from alchohol pro mod go kart racing and that ***** bill might be as good at kart racing as he is 14.1.

anyway i just watched his 120 with him and frankly i found so little wrong that all i can say is great playing bud.

with runs of 98,100 and 120 this month you have seriously impressed me .

from now on im not spotting you as much for dinner .