Upcoming Tournament

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Guys....,

I know this has probably been hashed out several times on here. But I am a little nervous and wanting some advice.
I play a lot of pool. I have been practicing non-stop. Other than league and scotch doubles. I don't have much tournament experience.
I am playing a 32 person 10 ball tournament this Wednesday. I am not sure why I signed up other than we have the week off from league and I need some way to gauge how good my game has gotten.

The 10 ball format is Race to 7, Alternating Break, Break Outside the Box, 10 ball on the break only counts in the top 4 pockets, 3 Foul Rule and No Jump cues.

Not sure why I am nervous about something that is 2 and half days away. But any advice for me would be appreciated, Do I need to lay off practicing, do more drills, work on safeties?

us820

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Play your game and don't make a big deal about it is my best advice.Just get playing and the nerves will go away with experience...And yes you will probably play tight and make mistakes but who cares?

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The last thing you want to do is screw this up. Think of how your ego will be crushed whenever you miss. Think of all the people talking about how bad you play pool. Imagine them laughing and whispering while watching you. Just remember, everything is riding on this. EVERYTHING.

Or, you could just play, enjoy the competition, and chalk it up to a learning experience no matter how you do.

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The last thing you want to do is screw this up. Think of how your ego will be crushed whenever you miss. Think of all the people talking about how bad you play pool. Imagine them laughing and whispering while watching you. Just remember, everything is riding on this. EVERYTHING.

Or, you could just play, enjoy the competition, and chalk it up to a learning experience no matter how you do.

lol..., Yep. It is a learning experience.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Guys....,

I know this has probably been hashed out several times on here. But I am a little nervous and wanting some advice.
I play a lot of pool. I have been practicing non-stop. Other than league and scotch doubles. I don't have much tournament experience.
I am playing a 32 person 10 ball tournament this Wednesday. I am not sure why I signed up other than we have the week off from league and I need some way to gauge how good my game has gotten.

The 10 ball format is Race to 7, Alternating Break, Break Outside the Box, 10 ball on the break only counts in the top 4 pockets, 3 Foul Rule and No Jump cues.

Not sure why I am nervous about something that is 2 and half days away. But any advice for me would be appreciated, Do I need to lay off practicing, do more drills, work on safeties?
I would start drinking, heavily, now. You should be fine by the time you play.

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would start drinking, heavily, now. You should be fine by the time you play.

I'm a professional drinker... Someone would have to run it in via IV for that to help. It's weird I never drink when Playing pool. I may need to rethink that.

BigFish

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just remember that the pockets are twice as wide as the ball diameter, then everything seems easy after that.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Guys....,

Advice, stop being nervous. How? That is pretty much impossible to teach properly since everyone handles things like this differently. Maybe picture your opponents naked, seems to work for public speaking ;):D

Go find another tournament to play meanwhile, you have two days and see how things go. If you are playing with people you already know, will be easier for you. It's really no different than league. Less pressure actually since you are not playing for your team as well as your own outcome.

Danimal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You have to play tournaments regularly in order to learn how to perform well and go deep in them.

You're just playing a one-off. Go in with relaxed expectations, try to stay loose, and see what you can learn from the experience.

Losing when the stakes are elevated can burn, if you are a serious player. You don't forget those burns and that is how you learn how to avoid losses as your experience grows.

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You have to play tournaments regularly in order to learn how to perform well and go deep in them.

You're just playing a one-off. Go in with relaxed expectations, try to stay loose, and see what you can learn from the experience.

Losing when the stakes are elevated can burn, if you are a serious player. You don't forget those burns and that is how you learn how to avoid losses as your experience grows.

I think that's why I want to play this so badly. I have been playing several doubles with a friend. But I really want the experience of going through it on my own. I need to gauge my play against the other higher ranked players in the area.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Worst case scenario?....out in two...back to back losses.....didn't make a ball....
....you can not only live with that....you're gonna have breakfast tomorrow just like the
guy who won it.

...anything else is a bonus.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm a professional drinker... Someone would have to run it in via IV for that to help. It's weird I never drink when Playing pool. I may need to rethink that.
Seriously, i would play the ghost. Great practice for your offense. You run out or lose. Also practice un-hooking yourself to tune-up your kicking. Just go have fun and don't sweat the outcome.

mvp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The results most cases aren't usually a indicator of who's best unless you average results over a period of time. The two best shooters could draw each other first round! To place well or win you need to do a few things:
1) stay focused (harder than it sounds)
2) beat the easy guys ( take advantage and build confidence)
3) beat a hard guy ( beat the guy you could "rarely beat)
4) grind out the match or matches where things aren't going well (see number 1)
5)be prepared ( go to restroom, drink/eat, understand rules, table locations etc)
6) the most important one: don't give up! Be relentless! You might be down 6games in a race to 7, stay after it! Wear them down!!!! (See number 1)

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do two things when I get nervous at a tournament.

1) I make sure I get my "mix" right. That point where I feel the booze, but not quite buzzed yet. Just enough to make the nerves go away a little bit. This can easily backfire with 5 or 6 too many. I find about 6-7 beers works fine (This may sound funny, but I'm being serious).

2) I always remember that I've busted out of hundreds of tournaments and I'll bust out of hundreds more. Have a good time, don't get pissed every time your opponent gets a roll, and always try to shoot the "right" shot.

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do it

Tournaments can be fun if you like competition. I play in them to have fun, I have no illusions about becoming famous.

Be humble when you win and gracious when you loose. It's only a pool game.

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tournaments can be fun if you like competition. I play in them to have fun, I have no illusions about becoming famous.

Be humble when you win and gracious when you loose. It's only a pool game.

Words to live by. Thanks...