How to make these bank shots

AlexandruM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Playing One Pocket, how to make these banks in bottom corner pocket? These shots comes quite often, but I'm struggling to make them.
Thank you.

7ee53.png

44949.png

85402.png

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Playing One Pocket, how to make these banks in bottom corner pocket? These shots comes quite often, but I'm struggling to make them.
...]
Are you trying all of these on one cushion "cross corner"?

I think the top one is really hard.

For the middle one, you need to "hold up" the bank, which in this case means to hit it thinner than for a simple shot and use inside (right) stun on the cue ball. You don't have to hit it hard.

For the bottom one, it looks like you need to get right spin on the object ball to make it one rail. On some tables you might be able to do a multi-rail bank with the spin reversing on successive rails.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Number 1 is poison. Kick off the bottom rail real soft and push the object to a
rail. You might can make the shot by pounding it into a rail but maybe 5 percent of the
time and you turn the cue ball loose which is not good.

Number 2 isn't all that hard. You just need some practice adjusting your delivery to the
right contact point you pick out, it could take a touch of firm stroke to make the object
ball sink into the cushion to let the cue ball to pass. Cue Ball delivery is as important as Aiming.
You don't have to be off much to miss some of these or if you're putting unintentional spin with
your wrist. Center Spin to learn it.

Number 3 will go. Expect to cut the object ball so it contacts the bottom rail and slides in
with soft speed.

Last edited:

Tooler

AhSheetMaDruars
Silver Member
If this is the only ball in play, #1 can be made by going to the short rail, crossing the 1, sending cue up table.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
#1 can only be kick-banked. It is impossible to avoid the kiss at that angle without scratching.

#2 needs inside english

#3 needs low-inside, and is very touchy. Speed matters, the slower the better, but hitting softer makes it throw more. Practice it with low-inside with various speeds to get it right on your table

Cory in DC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought 1 would scratch, glad everyone agreed. Move the balls a bit and you can make it with a soft cross-over.

I shoot 2 with high-right.

Shoot 3 with center left, only about 1 tip. Somehow, banks turn more without too much side spin.

Only #2 is an easy bank.

Also, sometimes this is the wrong choice for safety reasons, but I find that #2 is easier to make when hit a bit firmly.

T-dog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought 1 would scratch, glad everyone agreed. Move the balls a bit and you can make it with a soft cross-over.

I shoot 2 with high-right.

Shoot 3 with center left, only about 1 tip. Somehow, banks turn more without too much side spin.

Only #2 is an easy bank.

Also, sometimes this is the wrong choice for safety reasons, but I find that #2 is easier to make when hit a bit firmly.

I would shoot it with center and shoot the ball straight into the long rail parallel to the short rail. Crossing over the ball will get it to the pocket.

SpinDoctor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't mind the first shot all that much, actually. I would normally play to overcut the bank slightly but play with extreme low left and drag the cueball behind the path of the object ball. The spin helps to change the angle of the object ball and throw it towards the pocket.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd agree that #1 is makeable on some tables..but I sure as shit have bumped my head enough times on it that I am very selective about when I'll try to twist it.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I don't mind the first shot all that much, actually. I would normally play to overcut the bank slightly but play with extreme low left and drag the cueball behind the path of the object ball. The spin helps to change the angle of the object ball and throw it towards the pocket.

Not every table is the ideal table in your mind....
...I’ve ran into old Gold Crowns where number one shot was very makeable.....
...as tables age, the rails may become different speeds, so some banks that won’t go on
a tournament Diamond feel like a lock sometimes...especially if the short rail is slower.

9BallKY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First bank it's hard to avoid the double kiss, it is possible but probably not worth the risk in a close one pocket game.

Second and third bank are both relatively easy banks

AlexandruM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tried these shots using all advises in this thread. Number 2, 3 are quite easy to made with your suggestions.

No. 1 was able to made it like a kick bank. Will try more ways.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tried these shots using all advises in this thread. Number 2, 3 are quite easy to made with your suggestions.

No. 1 was able to made it like a kick bank. Will try more ways.

Hah. Forget that kick bank...it is really a no-good shot in real gameplay.

If you and your opponent both need 1 and that is the last ball on the table, you are gonna lose from there more often than is reasonable.

But yet, somehow...we keep shooting those hero shots.:eek:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
#1 can only be kick-banked. It is impossible to avoid the kiss at that angle without scratching.

#2 needs inside english

#3 needs low-inside, and is very touchy. Speed matters, the slower the better, but hitting softer makes it throw more. Practice it with low-inside with various speeds to get it right on your table
Wouldn't you want to hit shot #3 with outside (left) English, to more easily twist the OB towards the opposite corner pocket once it comes off the cushion? I would think hitting the CB with inside (right) English as you suggest, you're going to risk having to play the OB very close to the point of the corner pocket, or it may hit off the pocket facing material just outside the point and not get the true rebound off the cushion necessary to execute the bank?

Last edited:

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wouldn't you want to hit shot #3 with outside (left) English, to more easily twist the OB towards the opposite corner pocket once it comes off the cushion? I would think hitting the CB with inside (right) English as you suggest, you're going to risk having to play the OB very close to the point of the corner pocket, or it may hit off the pocket facing material just outside the point and not get the true rebound off the cushion necessary to execute the bank?

I don’t say this to you often, but I agree.😬

bstroud

Deceased
The first and last banks shots are made with center cue ball.

You need to push the cue ball across the object ball (no rotation and no side spin)to get the twist on the object ball.

Speed is important.

I learned all these bank from Eddy Taylor.

They can all be made. Easier than they look.

Bill S.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The first and last banks shots are made with center cue ball.

You need to push the cue ball across the object ball (no rotation and no side spin)to get the twist on the object ball.

Speed is important.

I learned all these bank from Eddy Taylor.

They can all be made. Easier than they look.

Bill S.

ah, yah.

But. Speed is an important factor and "center ball" changes with just a hair above or a hair below "center ball," especially at close range. Some of that depends on how you see "center ball, "which can be different from player to player.

Lou Figueroa