APA screwed our very own sleinen out of a national championship

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think most of the we hate league players and call us scum are the true gambling scum pool players who are the real people who are destroying the game. No one in Apa gives a shit about the money they are spending they are playing pool and having fun and unlike bca and acs you actually have to win your way their . Everything isn’t always but money in this world. If your playing pool for the the money go find something else to do because your going to be very disappointed.

Says the guy who wouldn't bet water is wet!

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
The reason behind the rules in APA 8 and 9 ball randomizes who can win a match.

9 ball
no jump cues (have to jump with your playing cue)
no push out
point system (ball count) instead of game count.

8 ball
No open table after a ball is pocketed on a legal break
BIH in the kitchen if scratch on break
No called pocket (except for 8)
No jump cues

The 9 ball format IMHO is the toughest one for a higher skill level player to fade, as you can be in a race where if you give up 2 or 3 balls a rack you can lose. A dry break or a bad roll on a break can be a killer.

The point is the rules should not be different in every pool hall in the USA. The APA rules are beyond stupid and there is not one logical reason for them. Not one. Would the APA lose even one league player if they played by normal pool rules? Of course not, why would they. They are adults and able to understand slop should not count, and that you can make a ball while playing safe. Even a SL2 can learn that.

APA Operator

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In my view, the main reason for the "win your way there" is shear numbers. If APA is being honest, they have 250,000 member / players. If 10% showed up it might be impossible to run an event of that size. ACS, BCAPL and VNEA have roughly 50,000 members each. 10% of those IS manageable with the right venue.

Having played APA for eight years, I really like the "play what you make rule". Sure makes the game more difficult. Same with the "cue ball behind the head stripe" on an opening break scratch.

JMHO.

Lyn

While that's true now (and the 250,000 number is accurate - I've got 2,000 myself and I'm just one of about 300 LOs), it wasn't always so. It's been "win your way there" since the beginning, so size is NOT the reason for it. But it's a good thing it's that way now. I agree with you though - it would take several weeks to run an open event these days.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
The reason behind the rules in APA 8 and 9 ball randomizes who can win a match.

9 ball
no jump cues (have to jump with your playing cue)
no push out
point system (ball count) instead of game count.

8 ball
No open table after a ball is pocketed on a legal break
BIH in the kitchen if scratch on break
No called pocket (except for 8)
No jump cues

The 9 ball format IMHO is the toughest one for a higher skill level player to fade, as you can be in a race where if you give up 2 or 3 balls a rack you can lose. A dry break or a bad roll on a break can be a killer.

Yeah, still not sure why 2 pool players came up with a new set of rules. Played for first session of 9b ever last session. It was OK. Still, too much sitting around for my liking, so I only play when they need me, I don't show up if I'm not shooting. I can stay home and shoot and drink better beer :)

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Radio silence over, time to clear some items up

Folks:

Apologies I had not been following this thread of late. There was a period where it was asked of the team and anyone associated with the team (i.e. team-shirted spectators, like myself and one other person) to engage in a little "radio silence" while some back-channel discussions were being had about the post-DQ ramifications that were coming down -- i.e. the 2-year bans for the team members. The APA National office in St. Louis finally came back with a decision, and the 2-year bans will stay upon the team members, even in the face of overwhelming evidence that the team was (and never had been) sandbagging. It was mentioned both in the initial meetings with representatives at Las Vegas upon delivery of the initial DQ decision, as well as communications afterwards, that the belief was not that the team was cheating, but that the team had an unfair advantage and that there was too much movement in skill-level of several players. (Again, no player was moved more than one skill level; it was that several players were all moved up one skill level -- too many players in their eyes.)

So, now that decision has been handed down and finalized, radio silence is now lifted.

I do not agree with the 2-year bans, even though it doesn't affect me -- I was a team-shirted spectator, remember; not an actual player on the team. But, after having witnessed what I did with my own eyes, I've decided the APA is not for me, and I've written my league operator to remove me from the 8-ball team (which has since been dissolved by the captain anyway), and request to have my APA player ID number inactivated. Back to local traveling leagues and tournaments for me, as well as a refocusing upon my true loves, 14.1 and one pocket.

Let's get down to business:

It has been established already. Sean is an SL6 in Apa 8 ball.

Eric

Ah yes, this is quite funny -- all the hoopla made about *me* when I'm not even a player on the team in question, was upfront the whole time about what my involvement with the team is, and was transparent through all of this. As well as the hoopla made about players on the team in question that weren't raised in skill level, like the team's skill-level 2, Ariah Parker. But leave it to the personalities on AzB to find someone or something to bash, even if it's off topic.

It's been a stretch of time since it was first posted, so it may be a helpful reminder to some what this thread was supposed to be about (the team didn't create this thread btw), and the clarifications about some of the misinformation that was being spread.

Post #166:
https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?p=6461867#post6461867

I encourage folks to review post #166, as it will help clear up many things. Not asking for any kind of pity, btw, as it is what it is. In fact, for me, it helps refocus me on the games I actually love, and I will be returning to the local tournament scene as well. There are positives here, and that's what I choose to take away from all this.

Best,
-Sean

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
Folks:

Let's get down to business:

Ah yes, this is quite funny -- all the hoopla made about *me* when I'm not even a player on the team in question, was upfront the whole time about what my involvement with the team is, and was transparent through all of this. As well as the hoopla made about players on the team in question that weren't raised in skill level, like the team's skill-level 2, Ariah Parker. But leave it to the personalities on AzB to find someone or something to bash, even if it's off topic.

It's been a stretch of time since it was first posted, so it may be a helpful reminder to some what this thread was supposed to be about (the team didn't create this thread btw), and the clarifications about some of the misinformation that was being spread.

Post #166:
https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?p=6461867#post6461867

I encourage folks to review post #166, as it will help clear up many things. Not asking for any kind of pity, btw, as it is what it is. In fact, for me, it helps refocus me on the games I actually love, and I will be returning to the local tournament scene as well. There are positives here, and that's what I choose to take away from all this.

Best,
-Sean

Not sure why you singled out my comment. In fact, my contributions to this thread were to get the facts straight and un-lynch the lynch mob.

You might have missed one of my posts where I already said, what you just said, in the first paragraph (above).

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=6460236&postcount=59

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=6460497&postcount=107

Eric

Last edited:

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Not sure why you singled out my comment. In fact, my contributions to this thread were to get the facts straight and un-lynch the lynch mob.

You might have missed one of my posts where I already said, what you just said, in the first paragraph.

Eric

I singled out yours exactly for that reason -- that you were singling out me with critiques (or innuendos?) about my being a 100-ball runner in 14.1, yet only an SL-6 in APA. There are a couple reasons why that is which I could get into -- not the least of which is that 8-ball is not my preferred game and my break frankly sucks (is a sell-out, almost everytime) in comparison to the SL7s in my area here -- but meh, what difference would that make? Drama is drama, after all, and that's the lifeblood of AzB.

I do appreciate the attempts to de-equip the lynch mob, though. But as you can see, this thread is just fodder for bashing.

-Sean

jason

Unprofessional everything
Silver Member
3adt78.jpg

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member

You might have missed one of my posts where I already said, what you just said, in the first paragraph (above).

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=6460236&postcount=59

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=6460497&postcount=107

Eric

I now see your edits to the post after I'd replied, so to be fair, I acknowledge your efforts -- thank you.

I think where that started was not with you, but with Shawn Armstrong, and you seemed to chime in with the head-scratching:

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?p=6462759#post6462759

Anyway, water under the bridge.
-Sean

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
I now see your edits to the post after I'd replied, so to be fair, I acknowledge your efforts -- thank you.

I think where that started was not with you, but with Shawn Armstrong, and you seemed to chime in with the head-scratching:

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?p=6462759#post6462759

Anyway, water under the bridge.
-Sean

Like I said, i gave hard facts, when the lynch mob was making assumptions. There really wasn't much opinion, good or bad, in my posts.

Also, I dont know if you are a 100 ball runner or not. I didnt bring it up, I just questioned it.

No worries.

Eric

Last edited:

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"our 4 had a 2-2 record and was raised anyway. Others had a 1-2 record and were raised"

That's why I'm still convinced the team got screwed.

Can someone post the criteria by which the APA raises or lowers handicaps at the national tournament or do they just make it up as they go?

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I singled out yours exactly for that reason -- that you were singling out me with critiques (or innuendos?) about my being a 100-ball runner in 14.1, yet only an SL-6 in APA. There are a couple reasons why that is which I could get into -- not the least of which is that 8-ball is not my preferred game and my break frankly sucks (is a sell-out, almost everytime) in comparison to the SL7s in my area here -- but meh, what difference would that make? Drama is drama, after all, and that's the lifeblood of AzB.

I do appreciate the attempts to de-equip the lynch mob, though. But as you can see, this thread is just fodder for bashing.

-Sean

Hahahahahahaaah so you can run 100 playing straight pool and your telling me you aren’t good enough to be more then a 6 in a child’s game like Apa 8 ball.. and you expect us to believe that? Come on man !!!! lol The team was a bunch of sand baggers and got caught. The end.. seya in 2 years when your ban it up lol

erhino41

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hahahahahahaaah so you can run 100 playing straight pool and your telling me you aren’t good enough to be more then a 6 in a child’s game like Apa 8 ball.. and you expect us to believe that? Come on man !!!! lol The team was a bunch of sand baggers and got caught. The end.. seya in 2 years when your ban it up lol
Dude wasn't on the team.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You and I both know that isn’t the truth. The truth is much more simple. Stop trying to create drama and read the rule of the organization your bashing. Or the courts will see your words as slander.

I believe someone predicted this outcome on the first page....oh....it was me. Darn.

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
Yep, reading comprehension isn't his strong suit. ;)

-Sean

It's weird... I seem to remember reading trob's posts from a while back, and getting the impression that he was at least a shortstop level player. His support of APA, and calling barbox 8 ball a "kid's game" seems to indicate otherwise?

Anyone know trob's Fargorate?

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
Reading comprehension is terrible on this site.
If it was better you would have asked this thread be removed due to the inaccuracies posted by youknowwho.:rolleyes:

Ooooh... You seem to have a hard on for me. If that's not your persuasion, you should get that looked at. I've heard they have church-run therapies for that kinda thing these days...

I believe I said that I did not have all the information, and that someone would be around with the more complete story. Also, while I was incorrect about Sean being on the team, it's a minor point. It was a team ASSOCIATED with Sean, and he was vouching for their honesty of play.. THAT was the main point. And the APA stole a title from that team because of their own lame-ass handicapping system, that doesn't work.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ooooh... You seem to have a hard on for me. If that's not your persuasion, you should get that looked at. I've heard they have church-run therapies for that kinda thing these days...

I believe I said that I did not have all the information, and that someone would be around with the more complete story. Also, while I was incorrect about Sean being on the team, it's a minor point. It was a team ASSOCIATED with Sean, and he was vouching for their honesty of play.. THAT was the main point. And the APA stole a title from that team because of their own lame-ass handicapping system, that doesn't work.

I have been on az for a minute and have seen your posts go from pretty good to sad. You can do better. Its a shame this thread continues.