Sales Forum Rant

14.1'er

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have to rant about people that post items for sale.

1) People that ask for a percentage of the buyer chooses to pay using PayPal (goods). This is ridiculous. The seller should add the PayPal fees into their asking price, as this is the cost of doing business. Asking for payment via Friends & Family is great way for the seller to screw a buyer, as there is no recourse for the buyer.

2) Telling a buyer that insurance is extra if they want the item insured. Insurance is to cover the seller, NOT the buyer. It is the sellers obligation to make sure the buyer receives his item, and in undamaged condition. If an item is received, and it is damaged, the seller is responsible to make it right if he/she did not insure it. If the item is lost, it is the sellers obligation to refund the buyers money.

3) Ask for Friends & Family only payment. No No No!!!!!!

These are all the costs of doing business folks. I refuse to do business with any of these types of people, no matter how badly I may want the item for sale.

Last edited:

9BallKY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I couldn't agree with you more. The second I see these demands I just move on. I rarely
buy anything from the for sale section but you never know.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
They just folk, like you and me. Not big business.

They could sell on ebay, have buyer pay for shipping (and insurance). But they give us first dibs. That to me is well worth the insignificant cost you mention.

Sorry it didn't work out for you. More for the rest.

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have to rant about people that post items for sale.

1) People that ask for a percentage of the buyer chooses to pay using PayPal (goods). This is ridiculous. The seller should add the PayPal fees into their asking price, as this is the cost of doing business. Asking for payment via Friends & Family is great way for the seller to screw a buyer, as there is no recourse for the buyer.

2) Telling a buyer that insurance is extra if they want the item insured. Insurance is to cover the seller, NOT the buyer. It is the sellers obligation to make sure the buyer receives his item, and in undamaged condition. If an item is received, and it is damaged, the buyer is responsible to make it right if he/she did not insure it. If the item is lost, it is the sellers obligation to refund the buyers money.

These are all the costs of doing business folks. I refuse to do business with any of these types of people, no matter how badly I may want the item for sale.

For me …. the seller, not the buyer is responsible.....

14.1'er

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They just folk, like you and me. Not big business.

They could sell on ebay, have buyer pay for shipping (and insurance). But they give us first dibs. That to me is well worth the insignificant cost you mention.

Sorry it didn't work out for you. More for the rest.

So, you would prefer to have first dibs, pay by F&F and get screwed? Makes perfect sense.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
So, you would prefer to have first dibs, pay by F&F and get screwed? Makes perfect sense.

Never said that. Never have done friends and family.

I have zero issue paying 2.9% + 30 cents + rounding up to make the seller whole.

Beats waiting in line to purchase a postal money order, the way it was done before Paypal.

Most of these sales are from people like you and me. I do the math and if the final cost is worth it, put feelings on the back burner and enjoy the score.

YMMV

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Factor in to the price at the end or in the beginning...Either way, the price would be the same, in the end

Seems kinda petty to get mad about such non issues.

Friends and family? Fugettaboudit.Fugettaboudit

shinobi

kanadajindayo
Silver Member
I could care less if someone says the asking price is $1000 all in, or $980+$20 shipping, or $900 + 11% for fees. At the end of the day I look at the item, the price, and make a decision to buy or not buy.

(PS: Go with the $900+11% in fees because you will save 1 dollar) :D

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I could care less if someone says the asking price is $1000 all in, or $980+$20 shipping, or $900 + 11% for fees. At the end of the day I look at the item, the price, and make a decision to buy or not buy.

(PS: Go with the $900+11% in fees because you will save 1 dollar) :D

I am math handicapped and I support the above shinobi.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
I don't see the issue with asking a buyer to cover the PayPal fees if the seller is also willing to take no cost options like money order or wire transfer. PayPal is a convenience option for the buyer. I think asking for extra to make the seller whole is pretty standard on most other hobby forums.

If PayPal is the only accepted payment then yes of course it should be baked in but asking for $1000 wire transfer or $1030 if the seller wants the added convenience and protection of PayPal.

I forget your second thing but I think I agreed with it.

9BallKY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The last cue I sold I figured in the cost of PayPal and shipping cost and said this is what
I have to have out of the cue. Priced it a little higher to have room for bargaining , but was
still within what the cue was worth. I then listed it at $XXX shipped how much simpler
could it be.

14.1'er

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And this is how it should be done. Most sellers are just too lazy. Then there are the ones that want 5%-6% fees, and inflated shipping costs.

The last cue I sold I figured in the cost of PayPal and shipping cost and said this is what
I have to have out of the cue. Priced it a little higher to have room for bargaining , but was
still within what the cue was worth. I then listed it at $XXX shipped how much simpler
could it be.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And this is how it should be done. Most sellers are just too lazy. Then there are the ones that want 5%-6% fees, and inflated shipping costs.

You forgot to add 'IMO'.

ImO- as a buyer, your sole concerns are do I like it, and is it worth the asking price?

Is it not possibly a courtesy to financially challenged buyers that a seller might allow options to lower the cost (no insurance, no PayPal charges)?

Type79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As a buyer, I prefer to have the option not to purchase insurance as i don't want my cues insured in transit.

erhino41

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree on the insurance issue and the friends and family issue.

It certainly is the sellers obligation to insure the item against what would be there loss. Paypal fees should be on the buyer. If you purchased through paypal, and paid the fees, you are paying for their buyer protection services and for them to process your payment, your payment is already insured. Paypal, more often than not, sides with the buyer in typical instances of loss or misrepresentation. Offering the item at the higher price to factor in the fees or offering a lower price and asking that the buyer pays the fees makes no difference, in the end the price will be the same.

Requiring paypal friends and family as the only method of payment for any item is ridiculous. If you insist on it then I am going to be very wary of whatever you are selling. I do buy small things friends and family from trusted sources, but I would never buy from an unknown seller or buy an expensive item without the protection that payapal offers. If you do then you deserve what you get.

erhino41

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As a buyer, I prefer to have the option not to purchase insurance as i don't want my cues insured in transit.

As a buyer you should never pay for insurance, your not the one who needs it. Everything that happens to the cue until it arrives in your hands is the responsibility of the seller. If the cue never arrives or arrives damaged, the burden is on the seller not the buyer.

That's where buyer protection comes in. Paypal holds payments for a specific amount of time and will never refuse to issue a refund for a legimate issue once you complete the return process. I have heard tell of buyers who, even upon return of defective goods, refuse to issue refunds or refuse delivery of the defective goods altogether. That leaves the buyer with the only recourse of legal action, which is a pain the **s.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
a seller has his own way of doing business. and a buyer can decide to follow it or make his own demands. if both agree then it works out. if not dont buy the goods.
unless you know the seller anything verbal is just b.s. and doesnt play.