Session 1 of US Open on Thursday, April 25

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On today's Open menu, Session 1 begins at 9 a.m., Vegas time; and 12 noon, East Coast time.

• Hsu Jui-An (Taiwan) vs. Can Wang (China)
• Shane VanBoening (USA) vs. Wu Jiaqing (China)

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Another 23-year-old in the Last 16, Hsu Jui-An from Taiwan will have his hands full with Can Wang from China, but he is a fierce competitor and has what it takes to win. He will be one to watch--and watch closely. After taking the gold in 2017, an emotional Hsu ran to embrace his parents and said, “I want to become the Michael Jordan of billiards, and I want to become one of the world’s most influential athletes." He expressed how grateful he was to his parents who run a breakfast shop. In the past, they had borrowed money so he could go overseas to compete, and he said how they had been made fun of for “wasting money." Although this hurt him, he stayed confident, and he showed off his skills to those who laughed at him and took the gold medal for Taiwan in 2017. "My goal is to become one of the world’s most influential athletes. I know that’s difficult, but I will do my best to achieve it," he said. What a nice prophecy for this young man if he wins it all this week!

Attachments

• 57882476_10156462487673020_1236880135194411008_n.jpg
    57882476_10156462487673020_1236880135194411008_n.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 466

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From China, 25-year-old Wang Can's nickname is "Little Wonder." He's got seasoning and talent. Wang Can win, or Can Wang win?

Attachments

• 58602876_10156462474478020_1641028255576227840_n.jpg
    58602876_10156462474478020_1641028255576227840_n.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 464

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And what a lot of us Americans have been waiting for, American Shane Van Boening hails from the State of South Dakota, a humble player with a punch that can be heard around the world when he's in the zone. Shane, 35 years young, is America's great hope to win this title, and you can be sure a lot of us will be chanting "USA, ALL THE WAY" between shots during his match.

Attachments

• 58382727_10156462465563020_7079245305228558336_n.jpg
    58382727_10156462465563020_7079245305228558336_n.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 467

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wu Jiaqing, 30 years old, is a Taiwanese-born Chinese professional pool player, nicknamed the Taishan Shentong ("Little Genius from Taishan"). Previously known as Wu Chia-ching, the spelling of his name was changed upon moving to mainland China. Raised by his grandmother from the age of 2, Wu began playing eight-ball at the age of 10 at his family-run pool hall. When he became serious about pool, his grandmother would shuttle him from one competition venue to another on her scooter. In 2005, after only six years of playing, Wu became the youngest player (at 16 years, 5 months old) ever to win the WPA World Nine-ball Championship.

Attachments

• 58442091_10156462486043020_3721018893406306304_n.jpg
    58442091_10156462486043020_3721018893406306304_n.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 465

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wu Jiaqing, 30 years old, is a Taiwanese-born Chinese professional pool player, nicknamed the Taishan Shentong ("Little Genius from Taishan"). Previously known as Wu Chia-ching, the spelling of his name was changed upon moving to mainland China. Raised by his grandmother from the age of 2, Wu began playing eight-ball at the age of 10 at his family-run pool hall. When he became serious about pool, his grandmother would shuttle him from one competition venue to another on her scooter. In 2005, after only six years of playing, Wu became the youngest player (at 16 years, 5 months old) ever to win the WPA World Nine-ball Championship.
He's still only 30. Seems like he's been around forever. I remember watchin' him win in '05. Some kind of talent. That being said i hope SVB scorches him. ;)

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He's still only 30. Seems like he's been around forever. I remember watchin' him win in '05. Some kind of talent. That being said i hope SVB scorches him. ;)

I do remember when he won the World Championship. Taiwan gave him $100,000, if memory serves me right. I'll have to dig up the thread, so that info is subject to check.

Then they wanted to draft him in the military, and he said, "No way, Jose." I hope somebody can add some info to this because my memory is fuzzy at my old age. :p

Meanwhile, how 'bout our Captain America still in the fight! :grin-loving:

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 422

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Funny- When he won the WPC in 8 Ball, they said it was his first time playing 8B. That has been repeated this week as well- I wouldn't bet either way.

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Another 23-year-old in the Last 16, Hsu Jui-An from Taiwan will have his hands full with Can Wang from China, but he is a fierce competitor and has what it takes to win. He will be one to watch--and watch closely. After taking the gold in 2017, an emotional Hsu ran to embrace his parents and said, “I want to become the Michael Jordan of billiards, and I want to become one of the world’s most influential athletes." He expressed how grateful he was to his parents who run a breakfast shop. In the past, they had borrowed money so he could go overseas to compete, and he said how they had been made fun of for “wasting money." Although this hurt him, he stayed confident, and he showed off his skills to those who laughed at him and took the gold medal for Taiwan in 2017. "My goal is to become one of the world’s most influential athletes. I know that’s difficult, but I will do my best to achieve it," he said. What a nice prophecy for this young man if he wins it all this week!

What a nice story.
...like Ding, the snooker player.....his parents sold their house and moved into an apartment
so they could send their talented son to Britain...he’s now a millionaire.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
:thumbup2:
What an important part of becoming great at something!
Many times the willingness to humiliate oneself is the very catalyst that seals together the other things like talent, physical health, and work ethic.
It really helps in seasoning and getting 'mileage' so an individual can rise above their circumstances.
Hoorah for competitive pool....one of the last remaining bastions of true individuality as it remains uncorrupted by the western civilization of instant gratification. Quite an oddity in a world of crumbling values.
These guys are independent contractors who don't get paid unless they produce. My hats off to anyone with the brains, guts and $ it takes to play this game especially considering the usual paybacks.

RobMan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice match going on right now. Some early mistakes but both seem to be getting in the groove. Hsu just hit a sweet jump down the rail on the one after being hooked on the break and was running out the rack for the win. However after running into the nine and having to bank cross-side, missed, and Wang took the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk