Karl and JJ Commentating at the World Cup of Pool, 6/25-30/2019

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The World Cup of Pool returns to England as China bids to become the first nation to successfully defend a World Cup title.

They’ll have to fend off one of the best doubles fields ever assembled with the likes of Great Britain, USA, Philippines, Chinese Taipei, and Germany among the powerhouse nations desperate to land the trophy.

The world’s biggest 9-ball doubles events brings together the very best players from across the globe in 32 two-man teams. Who will take home the title this year?

Sky and Shane are representing USA. The event will be held in Leicester, England, the home of Snooker Champ Mark Selby aka "The Jester from Leicester." I wonder if he'll make a cameo appearance in the gallery.

Here's the format:

• All matches are alternate break. The balls will be hand racked with the 9-ball resting on the spot. The balls won’t be tapped and will be hand racked by the referee with a plastic rack. Players will be NOT be permitted to inspect the rack and cannot ask for the balls to be re-racked, re-positioned or moved.

• A 30-second shot clock will be in operation throughout the tournament. Each team will have one 30-second extension per rack.

• Matches
Round 1 – Race to 7
Round 2 – Race to 7
Quarter Finals – Race to 9
Semi Finals – Race to 9
Final – Race to 11

Looks like Matchroom is going to give USA a chance at the mic with American Jeremy Jones commentating alongside the Brit, Karl Boyes. Although JJ, as Jeremy is fondly referred to, still has a little fire left in the jug when it comes to competition, he is gaining notoriety as a first-rate commentator with a strong fan following among American listeners. Can't wait to hear these two in the booth! :smiling-heart:

This is getting exciting! :cool:

Attachments

• 61384896_2241852282561183_4738346025620602880_n.jpg
    61384896_2241852282561183_4738346025620602880_n.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 494

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's the teams:

China, Wu Jiaqing / Liu Haitao
Great Britain A, Jayson Shaw / Chris Melling
Chinese Taipei, Ko Pin-Yi / Ko Ping-Chung
Germany, Joshua Filler / Ralf Souquet
Philippines, Carlo Biado / Jeff De Luna
Austria, Albin Ouschan / Mario He
Spain, David Alcaide / Francisco Sanchez Ruiz
USA, Shane van Boening / Skyler Woodward
Holland, Niels Feijen / Marc Bijsterbosch
Finland, Petri Makkonen / Mika Immonen
Japan, Naoyuki Oi / Toru Kuribayashi
Russia, Fedor Gorst / Ruslan Chinakhov
Canada, Alex Pagulayan / John Morra
Greece, Alexander Kazakis / Nick Malaj
Poland, Konrad Juszczyszyn / Mateusz Sniegocki
Great Britain B, Mark Gray / Imran Majid
Albania, Eklent Kaci / Besar Spahiu
Australia, Justin Sajich / Danny Stone
Czech Republic, Roman Hybler / Michal Gavenčiak
Estonia, Denis Grabe / Mark Magi
Italy, Fabio Petroni / Daniele Corrieri
Malta, Tony Drago / Clayton Castaldi
New Zealand, Matt Edwards / Simon Singleton
South Africa, Richard Halliday / Jason Theron
Sweden, Marcus Chamat / Tomas Larsson
Chile, Enrique Rojas / Alejandro Carvajal
France, Alex Montpellier / Fabio Rizzi
Hong Kong, Lo Ho Sum / Yip Kin Ling Leo
Singapore, Aloysuis Yapp / Sharik Aslam Sayed
Saudi Arabia, Abdullah Saeed O Alshammari / Mohammed Hasan A Baabad
European Qualifier,
Brazil, Fabio Luersen / Luis Gustavo da Silva

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mosconi Cup winners Shane van Boening and Skyler Woodward, who were World Cup silver medallists two years ago, will once again represent America in the prestigious $250,000 event. Van Boening was a member of the team when USA last won the World Cup in 2008 and has been ever-present for the Stars and Stripes since.

Attachments

• WCOP2019-Live-On-DAZN_1200x630.jpg
    WCOP2019-Live-On-DAZN_1200x630.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 441

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, this is interesting. Once again, it will be FREE on Skysports for the Europeans, which bans USA viewers.

I hope Matchroom does not require pay-per-view for USA viewers and ban other parts of the world.

Events like this will help propmote pool to mainstream viewers, which is sorely needed in pool today. To charge people is not a good way to attract new interest, IMO.

Last Matchroom event, Americans werre supposed to pay DAZN to view the pool happenings, while Europeans got it for free. Meanwhile, the free live streams were rampant on Facebook. I wonder what will happen now. :eek:

Attachments

• 77.JPG
    77.JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 454

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks like Matchroom is going to give USA a chance at the mic with American Jeremy Jones commentating alongside the Brit, Karl Boyes. Although JJ, as Jeremy is fondly referred to, still has a little fire left in the jug when it comes to competition, he is gaining notoriety as a first-rate commentator with a strong fan following among American listeners. Can't wait to hear these two in the booth!

i agree, JJ is a deep well of pool knowledge.

but afaik there has been an american commentator most MS events, usually Jerry F i think. only the last few there hasn't been. i think JJ and boyes will be great..

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If they could get Alex Lely as well, then the broadcast would be perfect.

Also, there's nothing like paying $150 a month for spectrum cable tv/internet....having 3 dozen sports channels, as well as their sister channels on apps and internet...and not one could be negotiated with to air Matchroom Pool matches.

Not sure why, just saying its frustrating.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
IMNSHO, these two are the best commentators out there. I hope they work well together.

Freddie

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
IMNSHO, these two are the best commentators out there. I hope they work well together.

Freddie

Oh...you’re honest alright. Trust me.

What a gathering of killers here. Russia looks menacing. Canadia looks particularly game. The us of a looks lean and mean and several other go-to’s. I’m diggin this. The chef likes.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, this is interesting. Once again, it will be FREE on Skysports for the Europeans, which bans USA viewers.

I hope Matchroom does not require pay-per-view for USA viewers and ban other parts of the world.

Events like this will help propmote pool to mainstream viewers, which is sorely needed in pool today. To charge people is not a good way to attract new interest, IMO.

Last Matchroom event, Americans werre supposed to pay DAZN to view the pool happenings, while Europeans got it for free. Meanwhile, the free live streams were rampant on Facebook. I wonder what will happen now. :eek:

Sky Sports isn't free, it's a subscription cable/satelliteTV service like any other.

Matchroom hasn't "banned" Americans, it's just that Sky Sports is a UK TV channel, not an American one.

Because Sky Sports is a UK channel, most of the rest of Europe, as well as Canada and Japan, must watch this event through DAZN just like the US.

It's still wrong to distribute pirated videos of this event when we're supposed to be supporting companies that promote pool.

Lonestar_jim

Two & Out
Silver Member
Sky Sports isn't free, it's a subscription cable/satelliteTV service like any other.

Matchroom hasn't "banned" Americans, it's just that Sky Sports is a UK TV channel, not an American one.

Because Sky Sports is a UK channel, most of the rest of Europe, as well as Canada and Japan, must watch this event through DAZN just like the US.

It's still wrong to distribute pirated videos of this event when we're supposed to be supporting companies that promote pool.

Thanks for the PSA, and the CYA. Many ways to watch with hi speed and a computer/device. I won’t be distributing pirated video, but may watch it.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Most of TV now is subscription channels. I cannot even watch local news without my Comcast Xfinity.

The point of my post is that I think the broadcast of this event should be FREE, FREE, FREE, FREE, FREE, FREE, FREE.

I expressed my reasons why very politely, I thought.

And I will watch a pirated video again on FB if I am banned from watching what Europeans get for free with their SkySports channel subscription, the same as I do with Comcast Xfinity.

There. Is that better? :angry:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If they could get Alex Lely as well, then the broadcast would be perfect.

Also, there's nothing like paying $150 a month for spectrum cable tv/internet....having 3 dozen sports channels, as well as their sister channels on apps and internet...and not one could be negotiated with to air Matchroom Pool matches.

Not sure why, just saying its frustrating.

Yes, Alex would round it out perfectly.

The point I was trying to make in my thread, without anyone else (not you) erupting into a fit, is that pool is not popular around the world.

If mainstream people who do not know anything about pool watch a match and see the excitement, it might draw more interest in pool for the future. At least in USA, pool does not enjoy popularity as other sports like tennis, golf, football, baseball, basketball, et cetera.

I don't know the P&L statement of Matchroom on this event, and it is none of my concern. I just would like to see pool promoted more in USA to gain traction. I do not want to start a debate about showing the live streams in FB. :)

Plus, I thought the addition of Jeremy Jones in the booth was worthy of a thread, but there will be those who pick out whatever they can in this thread to argue and ignore the good points, I guess. Welcome to AzBilliards Discussion Forum. :sorry:

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, Alex would round it out perfectly.

The point I was trying to make in my thread, without anyone else (not you) erupting into a fit, is that pool is not popular around the world.

If mainstream people who do not know anything about pool watch a match and see the excitement, it might draw more interest in pool for the future. At least in USA, pool does not enjoy popularity as other sports like tennis, golf, football, baseball, basketball, et cetera.

I don't know the P&L statement of Matchroom on this event, and it is none of my concern. I just would like to see pool promoted more in USA to gain traction. I do not want to start a debate about showing the live streams in FB. :)

Plus, I thought the addition of Jeremy Jones in the booth was worthy of a thread, but there will be those who pick out whatever they can in this thread to argue and ignore the good points, I guess. Welcome to AzBilliards Discussion Forum. :sorry:

I thought we were making headway here in the USA, when Matchroom was involved with ESPN3...the online branch of ESPN...so with a cable subscription, you could logon to the ESPN app and watch the Mosconi Cup or World Cup of Pool....but it all stopped a year or two ago. I don't know the details. Maybe Matchroom wanted more and ESPN wasn't going to give in. Or maybe ESPN said the numbers aren't even there for online distribution rights in North America.

But I was hoping that the ESPN3 online platform would be the springboard to getting a few hours on the main tv channels broadcast on ESPN.
It appears we went in reverse as a sport/game to be shown on national tv...at least in North America.

I did see a commercial for Dazn network the other day, with Tracy Morgan as the celebrity endorsement. So maybe the network will be picked up eventually via all the roku, firestick, internet crowd.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought we were making headway here in the USA, when Matchroom was involved with ESPN3...the online branch of ESPN...so with a cable subscription, you could logon to the ESPN app and watch the Mosconi Cup or World Cup of Pool....but it all stopped a year or two ago. I don't know the details. Maybe Matchroom wanted more and ESPN wasn't going to give in. Or maybe ESPN said the numbers aren't even there for online distribution rights in North America.

But I was hoping that the ESPN3 online platform would be the springboard to getting a few hours on the main tv channels broadcast on ESPN.
It appears we went in reverse as a sport/game to be shown on national tv...at least in North America.

I did see a commercial for Dazn network the other day, with Tracy Morgan as the celebrity endorsement. So maybe the network will be picked up eventually via all the roku, firestick, internet crowd.

I remember ESPN3 too. I think I watched the Mosconi Cup online there one year, but I can't remember which year it was.

DAZN may get picked up, and that would be great. I pay $300 a month for my cable bill, which includes every premium channel I can get, one free phone line, and high-speed cable for internet connection.

Pool needs more interest to get money in the sport. Advertisers spend money in ads if they think the proceedings are being watched by tens of millions of people.

To date, most ads pool has is from pool industry people. If pool could gain in popularity, this could change. That is why I think they should show it for free in hopes of gaining more fans and viewers. If they experience and feel the excitement we do when watching the Cup, they will want to watch it again and again and root for the home team, so to speak.

Then comes the personality and stories about hte players, familiarizing the public about who's who. Pia and Joshua Filler's recent pool journey would be great to showcase. Shane's accomplishments to date, his background, to include his family's love of pool, would be cool. And Kaci's capabilities as a young man as well as his extremely good looks would attract the ladies. :grin-square:

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most of TV now is subscription channels. I cannot even watch local news without my Comcast Xfinity.

The point of my post is that I think the broadcast of this event should be FREE, FREE, FREE, FREE, FREE, FREE, FREE.

I expressed my reasons why very politely, I thought.

And I will watch a pirated video again on FB if I am banned from watching what Europeans get for free with their SkySports channel subscription, the same as I do with Comcast Xfinity.

There. Is that better? :angry:
You did express your opinion politely, as did I, but I paid a cheap $20 for the US Open in order to support the event while you were here and on Facebook distributing links to pirated video. That’s wrong and hurts pool and Matchroom and the US Open, and the fact is, most of Europe - aside from the UK - has to watch it via Dazn just like us. I don’t know why they’re no longer using ESPN3, but IMO there are no legitimate justifications for undermining Matchroom and their pool events.

shinobi

kanadajindayo
Silver Member
This actually is not true... you can buy a $20 antenna that will stream local networks for free, just like in the old days.

https://www.fcc.gov/media/engineering/dtvmaps

True, except in the old days it was rabbit ears that picked up an analogue signal and had a propensity to have static and look pretty weaksauce.

The new ones are digital and you can actually pick up a true HD signal with perfect picture and surround sound. Assuming you live in an area that can pick up the signal, of course (not always a safe assumption)

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You did express your opinion politely, as did I, but I paid a cheap $20 for the US Open in order to support the event while you were here and on Facebook distributing links to pirated video. That’s wrong and hurts pool and Matchroom and the US Open, and the fact is, most of Europe - aside from the UK - has to watch it via Dazn just like us. I don’t know why they’re no longer using ESPN3, but IMO there are no legitimate justifications for undermining Matchroom and their pool events.

I have friends, good friends actually, around the world. Some of them could not purchase DAZN or watch Skysport, yet they wanted to view the U.S. Open and Mosconi Cup. Damn right I shared the FB links with them, as soon as the MULTIPLE FB links were shared with me.

Unlike you, I actually help to promote pool every chance I get by creating threads with photos and bio stories of the competitors towards the end. I share every tidbid of new pool news that I can, just like this stupid thread met with your disdain. This helps pool *and* Matchroom.

I also disseminated the links to those who could not view it with DAZN or on Skysport around the world, as well as those who could not purchase online. Unlike you, this helps to promote pool globally, instead of sitting on this discussion forum *****ing about everything that doesnt agree with your opinion or morals.