Is this a useful book?

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Per recent past posts, have extensive machining and woodworking background, own business. During late 70's - thru 80's i made tools, tooling & modified machines for a table builder in the Gettysburg area. Failed to pay close attention when it was in front of me :( . Couple weeks ago wife bought old 1920's 9' Brunswick at auction.

It was set up, in play at time of purchase. Dis-assembly revealed a lot of small "deferred maintenance". Plus the cabinet is time worn with loose and chipped veneer. Plans are to restore it, probably in the fall when some time opens up. I am not a table mechanic, and know very little about that aspect.

Researching on AZ does not seem to show much info or criticism of this book:

https://www.ozonebilliards.com/product/the-green-book-pool-table-maintenance-manual

Is it useful? Is the material "correct"? Is there a better resource?

Thanks!
smt

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That sounds good so far... :)

Was kind of thinking (guessing) that having a better understanding of correct re-assembly and set up might inform a better plan for restoration?

Things like cloth comparison/choices, how to make choices on rubber, how both are best attached, pitfalls. Shim pockets options (or extend rails while being restored) pocket irons and pocket choices, etc. Stuff that would probably aggravate people if i keep asking basic Q's here. Maybe get some background first, then ask better questions when problem is actually in front of me. There's very strong chance we'll have first set up done by professional but don't want to make mistakes on the way to that point.

Or am i expecting too much from listed book?

Thanks!

smt

Last edited:

GregoryGrc

<---Zinzola #57
Silver Member
It won't address every single item you mentioned, but will go a long way. Long story short it's worth the price to get you started. Most of your questions have been discussed and answered here. Search for the topics and and you will learn a lot.