Shaft dent removal techniques

Jon Manning

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From my cue maker, in his “how to care for your cue” pamphlet;

I suggest pressing a piece of course sandpaper (60-80 grit) into the dented area. This is to break the current seal on the shaft. Then put one drop of water on the dented area. Then let the shaft sit over night, this is to swell the wood back to - and go beyond its original level. Then you should, very lightly, use 120, then 400, then 600 grit sandpaper to smooth the affected area. Now, you’ve opened the pores of the wood and you must reseal the surface or you subject your shaft to potential warpage.
I recommend using baby powder with a few drops of motor oil to form a paste that you hand rub into the sanded area. Vigorous rubbing will warm the palm of your hand but this action will seal the surface of the wood to minimize moisture absorption. A smooth dry cloth, or a dollar bill rubbed vigorously up and down the shaft will then return it to playing condition.

Hope this helps!
JCM

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd like to add one comment. If you have a dent a bit farther down the shaft that is not a problem on every shot, I think you should do nothing at all for awhile. I had a dent and just left it alone. After several months the dent has taken care of itself for the most part. Maybe it is 25% of what it was. If I now want to swell it back out it will be that much easier to do but out of curiosity I'm going to leave it alone and see if it corrects itself 100%.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To me, it seems the spliced shafts (Predator, for example) dent much easier than a solid maple shaft. Maybe they use a cheaper wood of less quality that is softer.

FWIW, I see players of all calibers "batting" the balls around the table with the sides of their shafts every time I'm in the pool hall. I have never done that with any of my shafts and I have shafts that are over 40 years old and are still in perfect condition.

Last edited:

billy bones

billy bones
Silver Member
To me, it seems the spliced shafts (Predator, for example) dent much easier than a solid maple shaft. Maybe they use a cheaper wood of less quality that is softer.

FWIW, I see players of all calibers "batting" the balls around the table with the sides of their shafts every time I'm in the pool hall. I have never done that with any of my shafts and I have shafts that are over 40 years old and are still in perfect condition.

agreed I don't move the balls with my cue either, I have fingers for that.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cue Shafts Are Like a Violin’s Bow.

Even original maple shafts will develop small indentations when the player moves the cue ball or object
ball with the shaft of his cue. I see folks do this all the time where they tap the cue ball into table shape
they want when they get ball in hand or are just practicing alone. It marks your shafts so why do it all?
I work way too hard to maintain my cue shafts in pristine condition. If anyone knows Tommy Hill, next time
you get to chat just ask him who does he use to refinish his cue shafts when they get icky.....Poppa Matt.

Cue shafts are like the bow on a violin. If it isn’t right, you don’t produce the results you expected or are
hoping to get. Take care of your equipment whether it’s your baseball glove, favorite shotgun, golf clubs,
etc. and yes, it especially applies to pool cues too. I mean Mr. Scruggs isn’t with us any longer so I treat
that cue with extra care but essentially, I strive to treat all my cues are that way. There’s 12 shafts in my
cue case and I dare anyone to find one that isn’t a satin smooth finish free of scuffs or anything else.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
no heat needed, just a little sanding, tape around the dent and add a water drop every few hours. easy peasy

Buster8001

Did you say shrubberies?
Silver Member
Easiest method I've found is to wet the padded area of a band-aid and wrap it around the dent. Leave overnight and buff down.

Josh

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
I use a q tip and a cup of boiling water. Put a drop or two on dent, let sit for a bit, repeat. Then I burnish with a paper towel. Works for most dings, as long as grain isn’t broken.