Just My Thought On Short Players

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Being short can and for most is a big negative in pool. Before anyone says it, I know that Mosconi, Alex, and Nick Varner are/ were all short. These guys are/were world champions…I’m not talking about them. Alex can shoot with the opposite hand just about as well as anyone. I think Varner can too, and I’m not sure about Mosconi.

For us short players that are not from another world, it is harder to get to “A” and above. Short players are at a disadvantage reaching, jumping, and need to use the bridge often.

A few things I would suggest to new short players are. Learn to play with both hands. Play a few racks a day with the opposite hand in your practice routine. Practice playing racks only using the bridge, and work on pinpoint position…keeping in mind where you need the CB for a trade-off of reaching it w/o a bridge and being able to still make the next shot.

As far as jumping, I can’t give any advice on ways to get better for short players, as I’m not very good at jumping yet. One thing I can tell you, I stood on a 4” platform and tried jumping. I got 50% better in minutes. Out of all the really good jumpers I’d like to see them in slow motion where they strike the QB when jumping over a ball or two. I have a strong hunch that it is scooping. They still are very good to even jump that well that way…but it is a foul. Johnnyt

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's funny because I'm tall and I've always thought short players have an advantage because they don't have to bend as far. I guess the grass is always greener.

dardusm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not sure how disadvantageous it really is to be a short player. Yes, there are shots that are more difficult to reach, but take a look at the the Filipino players (the best in the world). There are ways around it plus I heard from taller players is much more difficult to get lower in your stance and get that rifle type of aim. I have a friend who is really short < 5 and plays pretty good. It's interesting to watch him move around the table and he encompasses a very long bridge to reach/make shots.

Is there an optimum height to play pool? Probably, but I tend to think it's more about heart than height.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
I agree it makes things harder, I don't know if it's as huge a handicap as you think though.

The average height of a filipino is 5'4".

I've seen a road player come through town, laotian, and he would just stretch out and leave a monster length of cue hanging out there.. like 18 inches from bridge to tip. You may get situations where drilling the ball and english are needed, and you wouldn't be able to do it like that.

I'm a little surprised to hear you say the 'really good jumpers' scooping, if you jack up as much as your height allows, try scooping the ball over. Believe me, the difference between a scoop and a good jump is very obvious. Are you seriously saying that just because someone else is doing something that you can't, they must be cheating?

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
"Are you seriously saying that just because someone else is doing something that you can't, they must be cheating?"

Yeah...maybe. I just hate jump cues period. When I finally gave in and bought one I can't jump good with it. So back to hate. Johnnyt

dkindig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I always make it a point to play a few racks with my off-hand when I practice. It's interesting to see the psychological effect it has on an opponent when I switch up hands, too. I very rarely need a bridge unless it's a long stretch no matter which side I approach from.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Being short can and for most is a big negative in pool. Before anyone says it, I know that Mosconi, Alex, and Nick Varner are/ were all short. These guys are/were world champions…I’m not talking about them. Alex can shoot with the opposite hand just about as well as anyone. I think Varner can too, and I’m not sure about Mosconi.

For us short players that are not from another world, it is harder to get to “A” and above. Short players are at a disadvantage reaching, jumping, and need to use the bridge often.

A few things I would suggest to new short players are. Learn to play with both hands. Play a few racks a day with the opposite hand in your practice routine. Practice playing racks only using the bridge, and work on pinpoint position…keeping in mind where you need the CB for a trade-off of reaching it w/o a bridge and being able to still make the next shot.

As far as jumping, I can’t give any advice on ways to get better for short players, as I’m not very good at jumping yet. One thing I can tell you, I stood on a 4” platform and tried jumping. I got 50% better in minutes. Out of all the really good jumpers I’d like to see them in slow motion where they strike the QB when jumping over a ball or two. I have a strong hunch that it is scooping. They still are very good to even jump that well that way…but it is a foul. Johnnyt
I don't know, players around 5'7 or 8 seem almost built to play pool. They just step to the table bend forward a little and make the game look easy. Some tall guy with legs all over the place hunched over with the cue looking like it doesn't fit, do not look like the game is easy for them to play as with a shorter player. I am not sure it will have anything to do with how good either ultimately ends up playing. It just seems so much easier right from the start for the shorter player. Short players make the game seem easy.

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
If your shorter all you need to do is put a little more time and effort into learning how to use the rest. It's what you need to do in snooker regardless and those guys play some amazing rest shots. Shaun Murphy made 100% of his shots with the rest during one of his sessions in the world championships. Keeping in mind a session lasts 3-5 hours.

I agree with macguy, shorter players have an advantage in so far as they have an easier time creating their stance, which is huge in a players development.

I'm 5'8 myself and I can't remember having a problem. Along with using the rest I've become quite adept at stretching across the table, often having the cue underneath my stomach. Not fundamentally sound but it works for me when I'm feeling too lazy to bend down and get the rest.

Rod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Johnny, how tall are you? I'm 5/7, well I use to be but I've shrunk a little over the years. LOL I rarely jump but I'm fairly decent when I do. My problem is when balls get to close, then some extra height would be an advantage. Its worth noting, choking up on the cue when possible helps as well.

I agree with shooting off handed and would include some practice with a bridge.

I easily played A speed when I was a bit younger. Now I play a lot less, rarely practice and being 60's doesn't help either. Now I am a B to B+ player and I live with that. One thing though, I don't think the tables were this long years ago. :D

Oh, I don't agree with the scooping part. That would be easy to tell. Its possible though that ferrule contact happens once in a while.

Rod

Milo

NPL CHIX, WE DID IT!!!!!
Silver Member
If your shorter all you need to do is put a little more time and effort into learning how to use the rest. It's what you need to do in snooker regardless and those guys play some amazing rest shots. Shaun Murphy made 100% of his shots with the rest during one of his sessions in the world championships. Keeping in mind a session lasts 3-5 hours.

I agree with macguy, shorter players have an advantage in so far as they have an easier time creating their stance, which is huge in a players development.

I'm 5'8 myself and I can't remember having a problem. Along with using the rest I've become quite adept at stretching across the table, often having the cue underneath my stomach. Not fundamentally sound but it works for me when I'm feeling too lazy to bend down and get the rest.

I am 5'1". If they had an Olympic event for using the bridge (or rest), I might be in contention for the Gold Medal.:D
I was playing with a pro level player in my area about 5 or so years ago.
He gave me a great compliment, " Andrea, you are absolutely one of the best I have EVER seen using the bridge". Boy, that made me smile .:)
I agree with Cameron. Short people need to become experts with the bridge. All it takes is practice. I guarantee, it will get you out of alot of jams.;)

LAlouie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think a short player's perspective of the table would be to his disadvantage. The table would feel bigger than to a taller player.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Out of all the really good jumpers I’d like to see them in slow motion where they strike the QB when jumping over a ball or two. I have a strong hunch that it is scooping. They still are very good to even jump that well that way…but it is a foul. Johnnyt

No, sir, not scooping at all. Jumping is driving the ball into the slate to make the ball bounce. Think of it as making a bounce pass with a basketball. Better yet, start with the basketball already on the gym floor, then whack it with your hand or fist to make it bounce off the floor. You don't have to scoop it to get it off the court. Any decent dribbler can start his dribble with the ball stationary on the court. A pool ball is not as elastic as a basketball, but the concept is the same.

grindz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Being on the tall (6'3") side myself...

I have to say that there are a lot of reach advantages, but I don't remember being anywhere where there wasn't a bridge to use..... if someone is shorter it's just a tool they need to use.

Personally I think the shorter players are at a distinct advantage for a lot of reasons.... less bending and not as much stress up and down all the time, less distance from shoulder to elbow and elbow to hand.

Having watched Jose Parica (and Efren) last year.... I didn't see ANY pitfalls to being on the short side, but I guess it's just like anything else in life.... if you see something in yourself as a weakness then it is one. That's okay too as long as you plan to work around it like you said.... the downfall is when you(me) identify yourself (myself) with the weakness.... then it becomes just another reason to lose........ Don't I know it!!!!!!! Just like Fast Eddie was.... I'm "part loser"...... guess I'll always be, but that's okay I'm happier when I keep my ego in the closet. ;)

td

Bobby

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How tall are you? I'm 5'7" and I've always thought I had an advantage over tall players because they just look uncomfortable having to bend so low to shoot. It seems most or at least a lot of the all-time greats were around my height or shorter: Mosconi, Vrner, Walter Lindrum, Parica, Pagulayan, Lassiter was a little taller but not much (5'8" I think) How tall is Reyes? Not too tall. I can honestly say I've never felt at the slightest disadvantage to any player height wise.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
OK, OK, I get...I'm wrong. Thank you all for setting me straight. I'll have to dig up another exsuse why I've hit a brick wall in the improvment department. Maybe my wife was right when she said, "you should be thankful you can still play at a "B" level pushing 70 years old." Well I'm not. I'll run 100 again in 14.1, get a 5-pack in 9-ball, and beat the 10-ball ghost before I'm 70 or I'll quit. Johnnyt

rackem

SUPPORT CLUB MEMBERSHIP
Silver Member
OK, OK, I get...I'm wrong. Thank you all for setting me straight. I'll have to dig up another exsuse why I've hit a brick wall in the improvment department. Maybe my wife was right when she said, "you should be thankful you can still play at a "B" level pushing 70 years old." Well I'm not. I'll run 100 again in 14.1, get a 5-pack in 9-ball, and beat the 10-ball ghost before I'm 70 or I'll quit. Johnnyt
Don't be a quitter.:grin::grin:
Johnny you must also remember the eyesight factor.
We just don't see the edge of the ball as well as we use to.
Be Thankful for what you can do. Just the fact that you are playing again should be quite rewarding.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Don't be a quitter.:grin::grin:
Johnny you must also remember the eyesight factor.
We just don't see the edge of the ball as well as we use to.
Be Thankful for what you can do. Just the fact that you are playing again should be quite rewarding.

I'm very thankful to be able to play again, hell it helped get me some what healthy again. It's just that when your use to playing at a certain level for almost 50 years it's hard to not be able to anymore. I'm sure there are 1000's of older players that it's happened to, so I'm going to cancel my pitty party now. :) Johnnyt