Joined a Straight Pool league

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
Not an earth shattering topic but.....
It's not 8ball or 9ball.
It's at an actual Pool Hall.
It's also played on 9' tables.
The above points are complained about a lot on here.
Because they are rare in most parts these days.
There is also no bar and no music.
I'm still adjusting to the no bar part! Ha

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't see the point in playing in a league of any kind if there is no bar. Defeats every purpose of a league.

claymont

JADE
Gold Member
Silver Member
It's not 8ball or 9ball.

What I didn't like about it is the 150 score for the quality of players that play in it. Not too many people that can run more than a rack. Makes for a long game for the non-handicapped player. But, it's been that way for a long time, so I guess it's just sour grapes on my part:groucho:

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
It's not 8ball or 9ball.

Its cool that you are giving it a try. I am not even close to a straight pool league or any other league for that matter. Straight pool is my worst game and I don't seem to get better even though I try and try. Imho having a coach would make a world of difference.
Please let us know how it goes.:cool:

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
What I didn't like about it is the 150 score for the quality of players that play in it. Not too many people that can run more than a rack. Makes for a long game for the non-handicapped player. But, it's been that way for a long time, so I guess it's just sour grapes on my part:groucho:
I will find out I guess. Met Jerry tonight.
I want to force myself to play out more. Take my lumps and learn the game better.
Last night was a good start.

Its cool that you are giving it a try. I am not even close to a straight pool league or any other league for that matter. Straight pool is my worst game and I don't seem to get better even though I try and try. Imho having a coach would make a world of difference.
First league I ever played in. Place is right in my way home. No excuses haha.
Will let you know. Thanks.

Tooler

AhSheetMaDruars
Silver Member
I will find out I guess. Met Jerry tonight.
I want to force myself to play out more. Take my lumps and learn the game better.
Last night was a good start.

First league I ever played in. Place is right in my way home. No excuses haha.
Will let you know. Thanks.

You'll love it....just don't drink too much coffee....lol.

I played almost 3 years in a straight pool league. Learned more from that league, than 10+ years in BCA/APA.

Eye opening experience.....Have Fun.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's not 8ball or 9ball.

We had one in our area, along with a one pocket league, but they did not last. I think both had maybe a dozen players. Our USAPL LO actually got them sanctioned for ratings and year end prizes but they did not last. We also have a snooker latter although that is not very active.

You'd like our league, 9,8,10 ball, 9 ball is played with called 9 ball, rest are all called shot and 10 ball is called shot and called safe.

Hopefully your straight pool league lasts longer than ours did.

arcstats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

There are unlimited straight pool matches on YouTube that provide valuable info on playing the game, and will help anyone who doesn't understand how to excel in straight pool. Any match with Thorsten Hohmann is 101 for pattern play. Bobby Hunter is mentioned in a post in this stream - another player worth watching.

All for free at your leisure.

Nccm

Registered
I believe Edgies in Milpitas, CA at one time had a straight pool league as well. They had beer and music also.

slach

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is that the league Bobby Hunter plays in? Tough league with a former world champion as a member.

This RedShoes league has brutal competition, handful of guys can give Bobby all he can handle. I get a lot of practice racking.

Red Shoes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes...there are a few players that can give Bobby a run for the money....actually in all the sessions Bobby played he won only ONCE (maybe twice). We have 2 STRAIGHT POOL LEAGUES @ Red Shoes Billiards.....Monday Night (handicapped) and Wednesday (open). The designated "league night" doesn't really make a difference though because ALL PLAYERS are given a schedule with WHO they are supposed to play EACH WEEK. They also get PHONE NUMBERS and EMAIL ADDRESSES. The players really set their own schedules. I wish when I started to play (in the 60's) that there was something like this....being able to play a whole bunch of players (varying styles and skill levels) each week for a SET PRICE (league fee). Had there been something like that....I might have learned to make more than 3 balls in a row. Much of the leagues success is due to RICH KLEIN and DENNIS WALSH (who also run the 14.1 CHALLENGE at DCC) they actually do all the work on the leagues statistics and scoring. The rest of the credit is owed to the PLAYERS THEMSELVES.....GOOD LUCK in your 14.1 quest.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
There are four rooms in this area (around San Francisco) that have 14.1 leagues. The leagues have been in operation (at various rooms, some now closed) since about 1995. There is a website that will show you the record and ratings for some of them: http://aspastats.appspot.com/

The site keeps track of season records including high runs, adjusts the handicaps automatically based on performance, and suggests handicapped matches. Here is the record page for the league I run at California Billiards in Fremont: http://aspastats.appspot.com/Cal/ At the bottom of the page is a link for "suggest matches" that will give a fair matchup. What is called a "handicap" there is actually the equivalent of a Fargo Rating.

The three rooms listed there are in Fremont, Sunnyvale and Merced. In addition there is a separate league at Crown Billiards in San Ramon that uses basically the same handicapping system but does not use the record-keeping site.

The June column in this file: http://www.sfbilliards.com/articles/2003.pdf discusses how the system works.

I run the league in Fremont -- we are about to start a new season -- and play in the one in San Ramon.

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
One last thing... At least two of the leagues (San Ramon and Fremont) do not charge any greens fees. The entry fees ($10/player/match) are all paid out as prizes at the end of the season.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
It's not 8ball or 9ball.

Lucky you, have fun, I Know I would love it
Sounds like my kinda joint

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Well, maybe one more thing. All of the rooms serve at least beer. California Billiards and Crown Billiards have full bars -- not sure about the other two.