which do you like best

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you like 8-Ball or 9-Ball or 10-Ball for big tournaments. $50 K & higher, maybe 50K for the Winner....

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
10 Ball.........there is very little chance of any slop shots so luck becomes much less of a factor than playing 9 ball where anything that drops in the pocket counts.

Danimal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As a player, I prefer 10 ball, because it is a more honest test of skill.

As a viewer, I like 9 ball because anything can happen.

If this game is to ever grow, the big game has to become 8 ball, even if it is not personally what I prefer. 8 ball is the game everyone in the world seems to understand and can relate to.

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As a player, I prefer 10 ball, because it is a more honest test of skill.

As a viewer, I like 9 ball because anything can happen.

If this game is to ever grow, the big game has to become 8 ball, even if it is not personally what I prefer. 8 ball is the game everyone in the world seems to understand and can relate to.

Very true...If pool is ever to grow, and attract sponsors and the general public, the game will have to be 8ball..No other game is even close!..Also, with possibly a few minor rule modifications, it is also the best, spectator friendly game, to play at the professional level!

Last edited:

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like 8-Ball. The place up the street has a good 8-Ball format.... Suit is selected, if you make a ball on the break. No slop shots, no caroming off the 8-Ball or Caroming the 8-Ball off another object ball i not allowed.

Ball in Hand... after fouls.

If you hit the rail surface (not the Pocket Horn) & the ball goes, that is considered to be a bank, which, if not called, is a foul shot (pocketed ball does not count & it is the opponents shot, at the cue ball's location).

Good clean game...

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
10 Ball.........there is very little chance of any slop shots so luck becomes much less of a factor than playing 9 ball where anything that drops in the pocket counts.

Why is ten-ball automatically assumed to be call shots?....call-shots is the late comer here.
I have played and watched ten-ball for years.....NO SHOTS CALLED.

I think the premier rotation game at the professional level should be Ten-ball....
...winner break, ref racks, anything goes on a legal hit.

Devolving the game back to 'bar rules' thinking is not wise.

AlienObserver

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why is ten-ball automatically assumed to be call shots?....call-shots is the late comer here.
I have played and watched ten-ball for years.....NO SHOTS CALLED.

I think the premier rotation game at the professional level should be Ten-ball....
...winner break, ref racks, anything goes on a legal hit.

Devolving the game back to 'bar rules' thinking is not wise.

too many questions about your comment...

Why do we automatically assume that 10 ball is call shot? Because that is the rule. It's like asking why do we assume that a snooker tournament beeing played with the "miss" rule, because snooker was played for years without the miss rule.

I don't know what "bar rules" are (not living in the US, so no idea). Since you say "devolving the game back to bar rules", I'm assuming that bar rules are not as strict as official rules, so in bar rules there is no call shot (right?). So playing 10 ball with less demanding rules is a devolved version of the game.... But you say that the "premier rotation game at the professional level should be ten ball... anything goes on a legal hit"...
I'm a little confused..

mvp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Alternating break 8ball, take what you make on break. If you want sport to grow

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i don't know what being able to relate to something has to do with potential viewership: i can relate to waiting in a line; it doesn't mean i have any desire to watch people doing so.

people want to be entertained.

all-offense honolulu or 9-ball banks.

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
not really on topic, but i think an interesting way to possibly grow pool worldwide is to pour advertisement money into snooker events and programing and hope some of it sticks.

what would work in the us... who knows? golf, mma, wrestling, poker, gaming? same concept.