Playing Pool With A Big Bubble In Your Eye

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you want to play some challenging pool, try it with a gas bubble floating in your eye.

Out of the blue, a couple weeks back, my retina in my right eye somehow got a tear and it caused it to start detaching. When I went to the hospital, they tried to close the tear with the laser, but it was too big and they had to inject a gas bubble in my eye. The bubble expands about four times its original size and then floats around on the top of the inside of your eye.

Then you have to stay in whatever position is needed for the bubble to "float" over your tear and it pushes the retina back against the wall of your eye and seals the tear. In may case, I had to lay on my right side for about a week so that the bubble would float against the top left inside of my eye. A couple more zaps of the laser was required on my eye, but it looks like my retina has reattached.

The side effect of the gas bubble is that it will stay in your eye for around three months. or so, until it finally goes away. In my case, the bubble covers about 1/4 of the inside of my eye.

When I am looking straight ahead and my head is level, the bubble is on top of my eye and above my pupil, but since everything in your eye is mirrored, to me, the bubble looks like it is sitting on the bottom of my eye.

It is like you are a human "level". When you turn, the bubble keeps turning with you to stay whichever way is "up". It looks like you have a balloon filled with blue water floating inside your eye.

Today was the first time I tried playing pool since I have recovered for about a week and it was an "experience". When I'm standing up looking at the shot, everything looks somewhat normal, but when I bend over to shoot the bubble sometimes gets right in front of my pupil on my right eye and it looks like you are looking through a water balloon. I am right handed and I had to really concentrate on using my left eye to stay in focus.

Initially, I started out totally sucking, but after an hour, or so, I started doing a lot better. I wouldn't say I was shooting my best, but I was finally figuring out what I needed to to in order to keep the bubble in check. One thing I noticed that was kind of "cool", if there is such a thing as something "cool" with a bubble in your eye, was that I immediately could tell if I moved my head while down on the shot. If I ever moved my head just a "hair", the bubble would move...just like the bubble in a level. I may actually be "trained" to keep my head perfectly still by the time this bubble finally dissipates.

I hope my eye gets back to where it was before the tear, but for the mean time it is a bit blurry still and the bubble may be causing some of it. The light goes in my eye and then reflects off the bubble and I think it causes quite a bit of distortion and it blocks some of the light.

Time will tell.

Now that I know what to expect, I think I may start out a little better next week, since I won't have to spend as much time trying to figure out how to aim with my left eye.

jazznpool

Superior Cues--Unchalked!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Wow. Hope you'll be okay. Glad you got the medical attention. No fun being one eyed if you can help it!

NINEBALLART

NINEBALLART
Silver Member
I had a torn retina about 10 years ago...They aimed a wand like thing at my eye and hit it with liquid nitrogen...About a dozen times....It made a scar tissue where the tear was...I went back in 3 weeks and they said it was OK now...I had to go back 6 months later for a check up..Then once a year for 2 years and then they said I didn't have to come back anymore....Its fine now...

My friend just had one and they had to shoot something in his eye with a needle..He has went back for a second shot....Hopefully that does it....

I was seeing black spider like lines in front of my eye when it happened...The Dr. said it was the dried blood causing it..I asked if I would have black smokey lines there forever and he said yes..But, he said, your brain will adopt to it and you won't notice it...He was right..It is just fine....I see no lines and eye has 20/20 vision...Funny what the human body can do....
Hopefully you'll be just fine also....

Cezar Morales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you want to play some challenging pool, try it with a gas bubble floating in your eye.

Out of the blue, a couple weeks back, my retina in my right eye somehow got a tear and it caused it to start detaching. When I went to the hospital, they tried to close the tear with the laser, but it was too big and they had to inject a gas bubble in my eye. The bubble expands about four times its original size and then floats around on the top of the inside of your eye.

Then you have to stay in whatever position is needed for the bubble to "float" over your tear and it pushes the retina back against the wall of your eye and seals the tear. In may case, I had to lay on my right side for about a week so that the bubble would float against the top left inside of my eye. A couple more zaps of the laser was required on my eye, but it looks like my retina has reattached.

The side effect of the gas bubble is that it will stay in your eye for around three months. or so, until it finally goes away. In my case, the bubble covers about 1/4 of the inside of my eye.

When I am looking straight ahead and my head is level, the bubble is on top of my eye and above my pupil, but since everything in your eye is mirrored, to me, the bubble looks like it is sitting on the bottom of my eye.

It is like you are a human "level". When you turn, the bubble keeps turning with you to stay whichever way is "up". It looks like you have a balloon filled with blue water floating inside your eye.

Today was the first time I tried playing pool since I have recovered for about a week and it was an "experience". When I'm standing up looking at the shot, everything looks somewhat normal, but when I bend over to shoot the bubble sometimes gets right in front of my pupil on my right eye and it looks like you are looking through a water balloon. I am right handed and I had to really concentrate on using my left eye to stay in focus.

Initially, I started out totally sucking, but after an hour, or so, I started doing a lot better. I wouldn't say I was shooting my best, but I was finally figuring out what I needed to to in order to keep the bubble in check. One thing I noticed that was kind of "cool", if there is such a thing as something "cool" with a bubble in your eye, was that I immediately could tell if I moved my head while down on the shot. If I ever moved my head just a "hair", the bubble would move...just like the bubble in a level. I may actually be "trained" to keep my head perfectly still by the time this bubble finally dissipates.

I hope my eye gets back to where it was before the tear, but for the mean time it is a bit blurry still and the bubble may be causing some of it. The light goes in my eye and then reflects off the bubble and I think it causes quite a bit of distortion and it blocks some of the light.

Time will tell.

Now that I know what to expect, I think I may start out a little better next week, since I won't have to spend as much time trying to figure out how to aim with my left eye.

Sounds freaky , im curious how ur doc inject that bubble in ur eye ?

Best wishes n get well soon :)

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds freaky , im curious how ur doc inject that bubble in ur eye ?

Best wishes n get well soon :)

Everything was done right in his office while I was sitting in a chair. He put a couple of drops of numbing stuff in my eye and then injected the bubble liquid (he called it a gas) into my eye with a regular hypodermic needle.

He was standing to my right side and I didn't see the needle when he did the actual injecting part because my peripheral vision was screwed up from the tear and my eye was all blinded from the light of the lasering that he had done just a couple seconds before the injection.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Everything was done right in his office while I was sitting in a chair. He put a couple of drops of numbing stuff in my eye and then injected the bubble liquid (he called it a gas) into my eye with a regular hypodermic needle.

He was standing to my right side and I didn't see the needle when he did the actual injecting part because my peripheral vision was screwed up from the tear and my eye was all blinded from the light of the lasering that he had done just a couple seconds before the injection.

So very unfortunate to have this happen. And only right after you got your new cue too. But isn't that how it always works out in life. Before the light comes a bit of darkness.

This happened to me recently, over the summer, I was extremely happy with my progress and then I went on a mini vacation to cape cod, did a ton of swimming and I got a serious case off swimmers shoulder (doctors term for mini tears and swelling in top of shoulder). And it was on left arm/bridge arm, so everything is fine, until I drop down into the shot and the pain stings. After an hour, my left arm would be numb from playing.

The healing time took about 2 months, but I used the time to get healthy, watch more fundamental videos over again and work on the basics.

It served as a mini reminder that we aren't getting any younger, and pool can be worked on even when your body isn't ready to play at full potential.

I hope you get back to 100% as soon as possible as I enjoy your input from years of pool experience that you bring to this forum.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I got sucker punched years ago and it tore my retina. They did something called Cryogenic surgery where they freeze the tissue to repair the tear. It worked out fine and my eye healed in a couple of weeks. I still have a few little "floaters" (pieces of the torn retina) floating around in my eye. I barely notice them anymore but they're there for life.

Franky4Eyes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow. Thank goodness you were able to get it fixed!
Crazy how many people have had their eyes worked on,
and amazing how well you've recovered.
Even at the snail pace medical science moves,
it's great that this was something the Dr could
do right in the office.
Glad to know you're still able to see and play.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
I had a retina tear fixed over 25 years ago. My eye professionals recommend eye exam every two years (eye dilation), and every year after 60 unless you're black or asian, then it should be more frequently. At around 45, it was recommended to me I get my eyes dilated annually because I had a retina tear fixed. I had floaters all my life, and your mind usually ignores them.

Last edited:

flyrv9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There was a thread a while back about eye dominance. Most people have a dominant eye for one reason or another. Things work out better if your dominant eye is on the same side as your dominant hand due to the parallax created between your eyes and the point you're looking at.

From birth I've been left eye dominant but ended up right handed. Despite a couple of surgeries and eye training there was still a big difference between my eyes. So over the years I learned to adjust to this difference and also having little or no depth perception.

About 5 years ago I had cataract surgery and the new lenses brought my eyes closer in terms of visual acuity. I had to learn again to adjust to this change. I practice shots left handed to avoid using a bridge. It amazes me how well I can see when aiming only with my left eye. I thought of switching to left handed play but I'm just not coordinated enough and get frustrated! A shot occasionally is ok.

I'm glad you problem was resolved; it's amazing what can be done these days.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
There was a thread a while back about eye dominance. Most people have a dominant eye for one reason or another. Things work out better if your dominant eye is on the same side as your dominant hand due to the parallax created between your eyes and the point you're looking at.

From birth I've been left eye dominant but ended up right handed. Despite a couple of surgeries and eye training there was still a big difference between my eyes. So over the years I learned to adjust to this difference and also having little or no depth perception.

About 5 years ago I had cataract surgery and the new lenses brought my eyes closer in terms of visual acuity. I had to learn again to adjust to this change. I practice shots left handed to avoid using a bridge. It amazes me how well I can see when aiming only with my left eye. I thought of switching to left handed play but I'm just not coordinated enough and get frustrated! A shot occasionally is ok.

I'm glad you problem was resolved; it's amazing what can be done these days.

My sympathy goes out to most people in this thread..the OP has the great aplomb expected
by me....he’s mensch.

But I got zero sympathy to you, Fly....some of our greatest players were cross dominant.

8B948FC4-8167-48AE-A224-C00207919701.jpeg

Here’s a pic of the best woman snooker player for quite a few years....

...and you may’ve heard of Willie Mosconi, Joe Davis, and George Chenier....
...they’re all left eyed and right handed

I’m a bit right eyed and right handed...like Earl and Neils....
...I’d rather have your problem.

Watch a few videos of Willie and Joe...you might decide you like it.

AlienObserver

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow, needle in the eye...
Thankfully you didn't see it..
I hope everything turns out ok!!

I have a weird thing with my sight and pool as well. I am short sighted and I have been wearing glasses since I was 10 years old (23 now). The last 2 years I started wearing contact lenses when playing pool and it has made a huge difference.

The weird thing is that one day I went to the pool hall and I realized I left my contacts at home. I tried to play with glasses on, but it was just impossible after 2 years of pool with lenses. So just for fun I took my glasses off and started playing without them, and the weird thing is that I was playing decently. As I said, I am short sighted, I have 5 degrees of myopia on the left eye and 5.25 on the right (sorry if you use a different measuring system in US, I honestly don't know, just to give a reference in order for me to read text it must be maximum 8 inches away from my eyes to be able to see it clearly, anything further than 8 inches is a blurr to me, can't recognize my own mother without glasses (if she doesn't speak of course, I can recognize her by her voice))

I couldn't see even the cue ball clearly, but I was playing 100% from instinct and ball thickness and it kinda worked.

Last edited:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had floaters all my life, and your mind usually ignores them.

I had floaters in my left eye before I detached the retina in my right eye. Now I got something worse...a big blob of "goop" (I guess thickened eye gel) that is floating around, now that the bubble has dissipated.

My retina is reattached, but the floating "goop" is like a big oil spot that goes in front of my vision all the time. I've kind of figured out how to play pool by taking my time and ensuring I'm lined up properly before I hit the ball, but it is annoying as hell.

I asked the doctor what to do to "clean it out" and I'm scheduled for "surgery" next month. It is in-patient surgery and, hopefully, won't take more than about 10 minutes. It involves him poking a needle into my eye and taking out all the liquid and then refilling my eyeball with crystal-clear pure saline solution. It won't fix my vision (as far as making my eyesight any better), but it will get all the "goop" and "suds" out of my line of vision.

He said that I would need cataract surgery eventually and this "cleansing" would hasten up the timeline I would have normally needed it. He said he would then give me "implants" that should make me 20-20.

I'm hoping everything works out as planned.

cscott67

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Op....

Doing a vitrectomy may speed up the clarity and get rid of the bubble, but as mentioned may cause other issues to occur. I would suggest doing some research on complications associated with vitrectomy first. Just trying to help you make your best decision. Doc

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had floaters in my left eye before I detached the retina in my right eye. Now I got something worse...a big blob of "goop" (I guess thickened eye gel) that is floating around, now that the bubble has dissipated.

My retina is reattached, but the floating "goop" is like a big oil spot that goes in front of my vision all the time. I've kind of figured out how to play pool by taking my time and ensuring I'm lined up properly before I hit the ball, but it is annoying as hell.

I asked the doctor what to do to "clean it out" and I'm scheduled for "surgery" next month. It is in-patient surgery and, hopefully, won't take more than about 10 minutes. It involves him poking a needle into my eye and taking out all the liquid and then refilling my eyeball with crystal-clear pure saline solution. It won't fix my vision (as far as making my eyesight any better), but it will get all the "goop" and "suds" out of my line of vision.

He said that I would need cataract surgery eventually and this "cleansing" would hasten up the timeline I would have normally needed it. He said he would then give me "implants" that should make me 20-20.

I hope everything works out, brother. I had a friend who played snooker in the UK who had a detached retina... AND he's a photographer! He had to switch the eye he used to focus his camera! He got treatment, said he's got a few 'floaters', but he's back potting the black. Best of luck, man!

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member

You've inspired me to give pool a try. Haven't touched my cue since macular degeneration hit me several months ago. I've had 3 shots in the eyeball since, and I think my left eye vision has improved, but straight lines still seem wavy and things look blurry to my left eye. So, I can sort of know the angst you're going through...

Part of the problem is trying to explain to the doc how important being able to see the spot on the object ball is.

Wishing you the best. As for me? Stay tuned...if I can't get any better than now, I might be listing some cues and a case in the classifieds here.