Spot on object ball

marikian

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When a high caliber player gets behind an object ball and looks at it going into the pocket what part of the object ball are they looking at ? The top , middle or bottom of the object ball.

thanks

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Since I'm not one, waiting for a high caliber player to respond. I look for the contact point, which would be the center of the ball. Now we're kinda getting into aiming systems here, and there are many of those.

Last edited:

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
I don't consider myself high caliber.

I look behind the OB to the pocket. I find the center of the pocket from the angle of the OB. I line the center of the pocket to the top center of the OB and then follow a verticle line down to the center of the OB, that is my contact point.

marikian

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't consider myself high caliber.

I look behind the OB to the pocket. I find the center of the pocket from the angle of the OB. I line the center of the pocket to the top center of the OB and then follow a verticle line down to the center of the OB, that is my contact point.

That makes sense. Thanks

marikian

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since I'm not one, waiting for a high caliber player to respond. I look for the contact point, which would be the center of the ball. Now we're kinda getting into aiming systems here, and there are many of those.

Yeah not trying to get into aiming systems but the more i watch great players do this i just wonder where exactly they are looking.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Yeah not trying to get into aiming systems but the more i watch great players do this i just wonder where exactly they are looking.
I'm sure great players have different ways of sighting shots, same as wannabe players like us.

Of course the actual OB contact point is on the "equator" (vertical center), and that's what I've trained myself to be able to "see" from anywhere (although occasionally I'll walk over to check it, still looking for the spot on the "equator" that I want to actually hit).

My aiming method is to "measure" where my stick is aiming in relation to that point. I call that my "aiming metrics".

pj
chgo

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I do it for a couple reasons. It helps slow me down, and it helps me see how big the pocket is. Kind of a little confidence builder for me.

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
I'm sure great players have different ways of sighting shots, same as wannabe players like us.

Of course the actual OB contact point is on the "equator" (vertical center), and that's what I've trained myself to be able to "see" from anywhere (although occasionally I'll walk over to check it, still looking for the spot on the "equator" that I want to actually hit).

My aiming method is to "measure" where my stick is aiming in relation to that point. I call that my "aiming metrics".

pj
chgo

I find this is where I miss shots, when I don't physically get behind the OB and look and spot my spot. I've actually went to take the shot, got up, walked over behind the OB and thought, wow I was off.

I've made shots by not getting behind the OB. But I'm much more accurate when I do. The big thing about doing it religiously, is that when you do get behind the OB you have the exact spot, if the pocket needs to be cheated or some English is being applied, you know where you can go as far as changing your aim a bit.

It's why I say, there is an imaginary pocket on the back of every object ball.

marikian

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I find this is where I miss shots, when I don't physically get behind the OB and look and spot my spot. I've actually went to take the shot, got up, walked over behind the OB and thought, wow I was off.

I've made shots by not getting behind the OB. But I'm much more accurate when I do. The big thing about doing it religiously, is that when you do get behind the OB you have the exact spot, if the pocket needs to be cheated or some English is being applied, you know where you can go as far as changing your aim a bit.

It's why I say, there is an imaginary pocket on the back of every object ball.

The imaginary pocket is a really cool way of looking at it.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When a high caliber player gets behind an object ball and looks at it going into the pocket what part of the object ball are they looking at ? The top , middle or bottom of the object ball.

thanks
I don't think they are looking at any certain spot on the object ball. I think it's just the beginning of their pre-shot routine - visualizing and getting a sense for the shot and sometimes checking to see exactly how far the object is off of the side or end rail.

Last edited:

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

thanks

Don't know what you consider high caliber. If shortstop down to "A" speed qualifies, it depends on the shot.

The more angle I have the more I rely on cb /on relation. The less angle shots, well, still cb/ob relation but with these shots (1/2 ball and thicker), I "sometimes fall back to contact points. Just depends.