Longest sessions past 50

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
When I was in my early, mid and late 20s, it wasn't unusual for me to get in action for 6, 7 hours at a time. A lot. At times, it stretched on ( and, yeah, occasionally aided by "extra-curricular" substances ) for 12 or more. Or longer. And except for maybe a few yawns and some eye-blinking, I was none the worse for wear the next day.

Then I got married, began a full-time 9 to 5 for what turned out to be a bit over 30 years, bought a house, had a kid, raised him and did everything expected from someone who had such life-demands. It didn't include much pool. Some. But not much. So I was never *in* action at 40 to 50 to 60. But if I had been, I suspect I would not have held up terribly well after 50, playing 10 hour of sets. Or even 5 hours. For those of you who *were* in action most of the time at 50 or over, how did you hold up? What's the longest you stayed in action on any given day at, say, 52? Or anywhere in that neighborhood? And how much did it affect you the next day?

cscott67

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
5-6hrs is about the most you wanna play.....

If you have to work the next day........ Otherwise 12 hours id doable. Nappy time after!!! Doc

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I was in my early, mid and late 20s, it wasn't unusual for me to get in action for 6, 7 hours at a time. A lot. At times, it stretched on ( and, yeah, occasionally aided by "extra-curricular" substances ) for 12 or more. Or longer. And except for maybe a few yawns and some eye-blinking, I was none the worse for wear the next day.

Then I got married, began a full-time 9 to 5 for what turned out to be a bit over 30 years, bought a house, had a kid, raised him and did everything expected from someone who had such life-demands. It didn't include much pool. Some. But not much. So I was never *in* action at 40 to 50 to 60. But if I had been, I suspect I would not have held up terribly well after 50, playing 10 hour of sets. Or even 5 hours. For those of you who *were* in action most of the time at 50 or over, how did you hold up? What's the longest you stayed in action on any given day at, say, 52? Or anywhere in that neighborhood? And how much did it affect you the next day?
I'm 62, and try to play a long session once a week for 8-10 hours from like 2-3pm until around midnight. As long as I start the session early and finish by midnight, in order to still get a decent night's sleep (minimum 7 hours), it really doesn't affect me the next day, but I certainly wouldn't repeat another long session the very next day.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I dont gamble much these days and even when I do gamble, it's so cheap most would not consider it gambling ($40 to $200 sets... depending on game type/length).

I have come to the conclusion that I do not like playing anyone that is easy. That should tell you something. When I am in action, it's not for the money it's more for the experience and the hope of getting better through trial-by-fire.

At least 90% of my money matches are with players that have Fargo ratings of at least 680ish or higher.

What all ^^^^^ has to do with your question is:

the better the opponent, the more stress for me. The more stress, the shorter my playing time.

If my opponent is 680ish and playing 10 ball, I can last three to four hours depending on day.

If my opponent is 760ish, well, lol.... I usually do good to last one to two hours in 10 ball.

On the rare occasion that I play lets say someone that is 600ish, well... I can play waaayyy longer. On a good day probably 7 to 8 hours before my game goes to crap.

Those scenarios are based on 10 ball and races from 9 to 11 on a big table. If on a bar box, I can usually play a little longer due to "not" having to stretch all the time and get my back talking to me.

For 1hole and poker pool add an hour or so to my ability to stand. For 14.1, lol.... subtract an hour or so because 14.1 drains me quicker than ALL other games.

BTW, if I'm playing by myself..... I cannot put much more than a couple hours at a time in. I think its the "LACK" of adrenaline I get when faced by a very strong player with a "little something" on the line.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m almost 63 and occasionally play 12-14 hour sets. It gets real rough after midnight

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I’m 58. Still get in action for 6-8 hours 5-6 times a year. Those sessions last until midnight to 2:00am. 3-5 hour sessions, mostly before 5:00pm, at least every other week. Things that used to wind me up now put me to sleep. No more marathon nights but still like to ride the wave as long as I can. Definitely a victim of “one more” whether it’s games or drinks.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

9BallKY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don’t really match up anymore other than practice. Sometimes I go to tournaments that last all night. Last one I went to it was like 7am the next morning when I got home.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm 75 and i still play some 8 hour sets
and they are daytime, i hate driving home late at might
plus the bets are no good anymore

not long ago it wasn't unusual to play 18 to 24 hour sets,
but the action was much higher in those days

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I broke my neck in a car wreck at 26. Had to learn how to walk again and all that fun s^*t. Got back to where i could play ok. I'm now 58 and i'm good for about three hours. I still kinda feel like a truck hit me the next morning but wtf, i still like hittin' em.

Michael Andros

Silver Member
I broke my neck in a car wreck at 26. Had to learn how to walk again and all that fun s^*t. Got back to where i could play ok. I'm now 58 and i'm good for about three hours. I still kinda feel like a truck hit me the next morning but wtf, i still like hittin' em.

I feel that way the next morning after an hour. And depending how much my body wants to f**k with me, sometimes I can't walk the next morning...

But I'm addicted.

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
I'm 48, and I still play for 12 hours at a time occasionally. Mostly 6-10 hours.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm 48, and I still play for 12 hours at a time occasionally. Mostly 6-10 hours.

Same here, about twice a month I'm putting in 10 to 12 hours. My feet start hurting sometimes, but I deal with it....51 years old.

Last edited:

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm 67. 5 hour sessions are not unusual. Most are about 3 hours though and an occasional 8 hour session is tossed into the mix.

sciarco

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Im 66 3 to 5 hour sessions are ok ,but after midnight it gets tough i kind of lose concentration (tired).

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hey
i am the longest set player even at 75,still play 11 to 9
one day,not long ago

i remember playing craig stevens after he had been up playing 48 to 72 hours
back in the early 70's

i used to set my alarm for 5 am to go to the pool room to catch tired players

my plan was to let them play bar pool till 2 am,then play another 3 or 4 hours
to see how they played 9 footers

when they were good and tired,then i would match up and try my hand

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm 74 and doubt that I've played longer than fours at one time in over five years. In my early 60's when I still owned a poolroom I had several long sessions of 8-10 hours. My longest ever sessions were back when I was in my 20's and 30's and frequently played all day and all night for 12-16 hours at a time. I can't count all the times I walked out of a poolroom at daybreak after gambling all night. I would be driving home on the freeway in the opposite direction of all the people stuck in traffic heading to work with a smile on my face. I had my pockets stuffed with bills and know that I had just made more money than most of them will make working all week. Damn, did I sleep good, usually waking up mid afternoon. :thumbup:

Michael Andros

Silver Member
I'm 74 and doubt that I've played longer than fours at one time in over five years. In my early 60's when I still owned a poolroom I had several long sessions of 8-10 hours. My longest ever sessions were back when I was in my 20's and 30's and frequently played all day and all night for 12-16 hours at a time. I can't count all the times I walked out of a poolroom at daybreak after gambling all night. I would be driving home on the freeway in the opposite direction of all the people stuck in traffic heading to work with a smile on my face. I had my pockets stuffed with bills and know that I had just made more money than most of them will make working all week. Damn, did I sleep good, usually waking up mid afternoon. :thumbup:

Ah, to be full of vim, vigor and a sh*t-ton of testosterone... I remember those nights reallllyyy well. What I always liked most was stopping at a Denny's or a Perkins or an IHOP at 7 or 8am and pigging out after playing all night long. 3 eggs over easy, wheat toast, grits with butter, salt and pepper, home-fries, bacon and 3 pancakes, heavy on the maple-syrup. Then blast one on the way home, get there, read part of the sports page, crash for 5 or 6 hours, then up, shower and back to the pool room.

It's a wonder I made it to 45.

I wanna go back and do it all again.

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
74! Bull ZHit. Not a day over 60. I've seen your lady and no man north of 60 can keep up with that.

I'm carding you next time I see you.

On to the topic. 53. Can go 6 hours before my attention starts to drift. One Pocket maybe 8 hours. No more all nighters.

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some times...

The better my competition, the longer I can play. I can easily do four hours with some one if they at least have a chance against me. If they are as good or better, sign me up for longer.

The problem is there is very little competition in my little hick Alaskan town. The only one that can really test me is about fifty miles away. We both have tables and get together when we can.

He is about 25 years younger and a bit better. We have had some 8-12 hour sets. During that time we will shoot 8, 9 and 10 Ball, but prefer 10 Ball.

He has never beaten me at One Pocket and tells me I shoot better safeties then he does. I tell him it is because he believes he can make any shot. I exploit that!

The hardest part of it for me is keeping my mental focus after about four hours.

I am 68 and plan on quitting pool and shooting guns, hunting, fishing, etc., some time after I die!

Last edited: