Heart???

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
I'm wondering what the pool room definition of heart actually is. I've learned it is not a reference to kindness, lol. I think it is related to persistent lack of resources because the people who say it most seem to never have cash and are always trying to bum a ride or ask me to buy them a soda at the pool room. What's this term mean? I think we need a formal definition. Thanks.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
the ability to stand up to pressure
unfortunately
often used when someone goes broke against tough competition but fights hard and doesnt give up
like when the boxing trainer says to his fighter who just lost a fight
you took alot of punches ..you are tough ...you have heart

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Coming back to win the set when you are down 6-2 in a race to 7 or when other players say "you can never count that guy out."

softshot

Simplify
Silver Member
Jamarcus Russell was a number 1 overall pick in the NFL draft bigger stronger faster than anyone arm of the century 90 yards in the air on target... All the talent on Earth...

Tom Brady was a later round pick that almost didn't make the team his first year

One is the biggest bust in history the other is going to the hall.of fame... THAT'S HEART!!!

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To me it means "guts" or "balls"
Ditto. PERFECT example: In '96 James Walden(Ok. legend) gave NC hotshot Mike Coltrane the 8 in a 10-ahead for 10G's. They played 8hrs-and-stop. Match took three days. Coltrane had James on the hill THREE times and DID NOT get the money. James REFUSED to lose and took the $$$$ off the light. That folks is heart with a capital "H".

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe "heart" is one of those words in pools lexicon, that has very different meanings to lots of people. Sometimes its simply a fierce will to win, sometimes its someone whos willing to flush cash down the crapper and chase it all night long. :thumbup:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe "heart" is one of those words in pools lexicon, that has very different meanings to lots of people. Sometimes its simply a fierce will to win, sometimes its someone whos willing to flush cash down the crapper and chase it all night long. :thumbup:
Yeah. Sometimes there's a fine line between having heart and being a stone-cold sucker.:thumbup:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm wondering what the pool room definition of heart actually is. I've learned it is not a reference to kindness, lol. I think it is related to persistent lack of resources because the people who say it most seem to never have cash and are always trying to bum a ride or ask me to buy them a soda at the pool room. What's this term mean? I think we need a formal definition. Thanks.

er, I think we've done this one before but anywhos:

Heart is the ability to play your ordinary game under extraordinary circumstances.

Lou Figueroa
or sumthin' like that

Cracktherack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Heart is the ability to turn it on and bury an opponent, or to come back from being many points down and still win. Those that have heart, aren't trying to win by sharking you.
Heart of compassion is usually coupled with good character, so when a weak player craps all over you and wins a match, you smile, shake their hand and tell them they played well.
Respect is earned and jealousy will always be present in every poolroom. Pay no attention to the comments the eye-ballers will make. Whether or not they think you have heart, will have no outcome on your ability to play focused.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The primary usage refers to someone who holds up under pressure,but the term is also used to mean someone who continues with a game well after it is obvious to everyone in the pool room that he has no chance

In this sense it can be applied to a fella that awaken to his bad game quits after losing only very few games

"Aw he has no heart"

It can be applied to the stakehorse who continues to play game after game in a losing sense

"now there is a good stakehorse,he has a lot of heart"

Often the person described puffs up with pride thinking ,that's right I gotta lot of heart"

Whereas the people paying the perceived compliment meant it more like this,"that poor fool
doesn't know when to quit,ie he is an idiot,if we ever get him down he'll never quit"

Heart is also more used in the lack of heart sense,let a man lose a game
regardless of the real reason,the idiots on the rail say"he got no heart"

usually this is just another way of saying ,Dean lost today.But the rift raft morons in the pool room

use the term like a dagger to pierce into the fellas reputation,the effect being the man who lost has no encouragement to ever play again.

Fear of being the laughing stock of the pool room exceeds his natural desire to win,so he becomes a railbird,a detective,a knocker

someone who does nothing but make pronouncements like"he got no hearyt"

soon the entire pool room is full of know it all critics,the action killers
the reason there is never much action

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is also a tool to goad lesser players to step out of line, when matching up.

I can't tell you how many times I have seen the better
player refuse to discuss a handicap for a lesser player, stating, 'if you had any heart, you'd play even'.

O'rly

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is also a tool to goad lesser players to step out of line, when matching up.

I can't tell you how many times I have seen the better
player refuse to discuss a handicap for a lesser player, stating, 'if you had any heart, you'd play even'.

O'rly
Why, i've never even considered that tactical ploy. :thumbup:

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member

Can say with all honesty, what ever your definition of "heart" is, I no longer have it. Like Larry Hubbart once told me when I asked him what a "shortstop" was, he said "look in the mirror". I've done that once or twice and don't like the player I see there anymore. Do think he is a better person.

Lyn

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you had any heart you would play even

Whenever I got this one I used to reply
"if I had any heart I wouldn't need the spot"

The Bully was always my favorite victom