ferrule replacement gone wrong

cesarmorales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I posted this issue in the ask the cue maker section and pretty much got the opinion that this was not the way to replace a ferrule. So, as players, what do you think is a fair way to deal with this issue.

The shaft can not be replaced because it goes to a custom cue from a famous cue maker who is dead. I don't play with shafts that are smaller than 13mm.

Story is, I took this shaft in to have the ferrule replace and it is at this point now.

Attachments

• IMG_20150725_000035.jpg
    IMG_20150725_000035.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 1,127

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
The dress rings will have to be salvaged and a new shaft made. There is no undoing the cut of the shaft.
It's like when you cut a board to short... No such thing as a board stretcher so you will be required to start over.

Looks well butchered...
Best of luck.

Rob.M

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Who was the original shaft maker? I would tell the guy ruined it to either get you an original acceptable 13mm shaft from the secondary market or pay you market value for the shaft.... If you don't want to go that route you can send the shaft to a REPUTABLE cue maker and have them cut the shaft down. You'll probably loose about 3/4 of an inch or so and have them install a 1" ferrule over a tenon and re-taper the shaft...

Just another reason I ONLY use HIGHLY REPUTABLE, WELL KNOWN makers for any of my cues... Seen this toooo many times

caff3in3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would lose my shit if that was mine (unless it was dealt with on the spot) and i play with production cues

jb1911

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you tried to butcher a shaft it would look like that. The worst case I've ever seen.
That guy would be paying me fair market value for the damage he's done.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Who did this? Some local repair guy or a well known cuemaker?

If a known cuemaker, cash payment for the shift he just bought or give you a cue to sell to get your money back.

No "I will have the money in 6 months nonsense" allowed, ha.

gunzby

My light saber is LD
Silver Member
Wow who in the hell did that?

I used to do tips and shaft sealing/waxing. I had a few ask me to do a ferrule and I refused simply because I not only don't know how, but also don't have the equipment. If I'm not comfortable doing one of my own I certainly won't do another person's cue.

ADAM HENSON

---🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟--
Silver Member
The dress rings will have to be salvaged and a new shaft made. There is no undoing the cut of the shaft.
It's like when you cut a board to short... No such thing as a board stretcher so you will be required to start over.

Looks well butchered...
Best of luck.

Rob.M

This is the only option....

That makes me sick to my stomach....

caff3in3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As sour as i would be if that happened to my predator.........the cuemaker has passed away and even with a new shaft with the ringwork from the butchered one....it will never again be a cue by that cuemaker, just a butt.

It makes me angry just thinking about it.

spliced

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would have a reputable cuemaker turn down the part that was already turned down into a tenon and have a new 1" ferrule installed. Looks like you will lose about .5-.75" length. And demand compensation from the person who did this! At lease the price of shipping it away and getting it repaired plus a refund if you gave him any money for this job!

Last edited:

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As a service to the thousands of other AZ'ers here please "out" the butcher of your shaft.

How is this his fault?

He didn't vet the cuemaker properly. They are saying that if he had done due diligence he would have found a reputable repairman.

I don't necessarily agree, but if this shaft was as irreplaceable as he says, I'd have done more due diligence, especially when AZB is such a great resource to find someone like RAT.

cesarmorales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As far as due diligence, this shop has done the best work in town over the last number of years. This time a different person worked on the shaft. I figured if he worked there, he knew what he was doing.

The person that did this to my shaft is a person I have known for about 40 years. I thought we were friends, hahaha. First question I will ask him when we talk again is if something happened where he does not like me anymore, hahaha

I figure the answer is to cut down the shaved part of the shaft and put on a ferrule.
Then remove the ring work from the joint of the shaft and put in a spacer. I have seen nice cues with a different wood used on the first inch or two between the joint ring and the shaft wood. The cue has an ebony forearm so an ebony spacer would actually look very nice. Then we can only hope it plays as well as it did before.

What do you think about that idea?

Also, I am a business owner of a number of companies. I want a chance to make things right with an unhappy customer but some customers are a##holes.

So, I came to azbilliards for a second opinion. I did not want to be an a@@hole but your comments back up my first impression. So I don't think I will be out of line asking for him to make a major effort to make this right.

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
:kiss:

Well if he is a friend of yours, I would not tell him he screwed up.

Might break his heart.:wub:

On the other hand, I would never let him do work on any of my cues again.

Not worth losing a friend over a bad job on a cue.:canoodle: