How would you get position on the 9 ball?

branpureza

Ginacue
Silver Member
Why would you worry about bottom right english, unless you're insisting on spinning the cue ball for an unknown reason, as soon as the cue hits the object ball with draw, unless you're power drawing the cue, it won't have any side spin on it when it comes in contact with the first rail, it'll just be rolling speed coming off the first rail across the table. That little inside spin you're talking about will set your cue ball right on the end rail damn near, cor a much harder shot.on the 9 than needed.

I explained why pretty clearly... so that it rebounds straight across instead of toward the side pocket.

It just a touch of inside. You're not loading it up on this shot. Nothing difficult to execute here.

Bottom english with no spin at all would rebound something like shown in blue which isn't as safe of a shot. You are in danger of scratching and it also makes for a smaller positional area.

Attachments

• AZZZ2.jpg
    AZZZ2.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I explained why pretty clearly... so that it rebounds straight across instead of toward the side pocket.

It just a touch of inside. You're not loading it up on this shot. Nothing difficult to execute here.

Bottom english with no spin at all would rebound something like shown in blue which isn't as safe of a shot. You are in danger of scratching and it also makes for a smaller positional area.

Did you watch BC21 shoot the shots with no spin? Seemed pretty safe to me.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

Did you watch BC21 shoot the shots with no spin? Seemed pretty safe to me.

Pool room conditions vary....if the cue ball is well used, a touch of right might be needed.
...I've told three guys around my area, they aren't pros, to shoot it low center...it worked.
Tournament conditions, new balls and new cloth, a bit of left might be needed.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
No, honestly I haven't read anyone's replies. Haha

I read this statement, then looked at your profile pic....that expression on Carell's face! I laughed so loud my wife kicked me out of the room.

branpureza

Ginacue
Silver Member
I read this statement, then looked at your profile pic....that expression on Carell's face! I laughed so loud my wife kicked me out of the room.

Haha.. if you haven't seen the "Prison Mike" episode of The Office you need to. So damn good.

branpureza

Ginacue
Silver Member
Pool room conditions vary....if the cue ball is well used, a touch of right might be needed.
...I've told three guys around my area, they aren't pros, to shoot it low center...it worked.
Tournament conditions, new balls and new cloth, a bit of left might be needed.

Definitely agree with this.

realkingcobra

Silver Member

Thats funny, guy records the shot with straight draw, shoots it 3 times, cue ball goes across the table can back....and couldn't even come close to a scratch....without the help of lower left draw. I do know how to play, there's no chance of a scratch on that shot, but in high humidity conditions....your cue ball control could very well send the cue.ball to the end rail for a far more difficult shot on the 9.

branpureza

Ginacue
Silver Member
Thats funny, guy records the shot with straight draw, shoots it 3 times, cue ball goes across the table can back....and couldn't even come close to a scratch....without the help of lower left draw. I do know how to play, there's no chance of a scratch on that shot, but in high humidity conditions....your cue ball control could very well send the cue.ball to the end rail for a far more difficult shot on the 9.

You seem upset.

The original question was "How would YOU get position on the 9 ball", to which I gave my answer.

I can definitely play that shot with straight draw and scratch in the side. "No chance of scratch" is a little ridiculous don't you think?

I also know how to play this game... feel free to post some videos demonstrating your skill and vast knowledge.

... but in high humidity conditions....your cue ball control could very well send the cue.ball to the end rail for a far more difficult shot on the 9.

So you think this might happen??? Lol

Attachments

• AZWUT?.jpg
    AZWUT?.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 150

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member

I believe the shot is a little tougher than the picture posted by branpureza. The 8 is a little closer than 1.5 diamonds off the end rail and the CB is farther away from the 9. Drawing the shot near the 3rd diamond on that long rail would be near impossible from the original op's position. It looked like the 90° tangent line was hitting the end rail, so the CB requires a lot of draw just to pull it away from the corner pocket. Nevertheless, I'd shoot straight draw on about any shot near this position for shape on that 9.

branpureza

Ginacue
Silver Member
I believe the shot is a little tougher than the picture posted by branpureza. The 8 is a little closer than 1.5 diamonds off the end rail and the CB is farther away from the 9. Drawing the shot near the 3rd diamond on that long rail would be near impossible from the original op's position. It looked like the 90° tangent line was hitting the end rail, so the CB requires a lot of draw just to pull it away from the corner pocket. Nevertheless, I'd shoot straight draw on about any shot near this position for shape on that 9.

Yeah it's hard to tell from the op's pic but it looked pretty close to me... I'm sure everyone has some variance to their setup...

Attachments

• Shot challenge.jpg
    Shot challenge.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 166
  • AZZZ.jpg
    AZZZ.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 155

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Yeah it's hard to tell from the op's pic but it looked pretty close to me... I'm sure everyone has some variance to their setup...

I probably made it a tougher shot than brags posted. It's quite easier when the tangent path is going toward or above the corner pocket because less draw is needed. But you're right, every setup will be a little different.

RussPrince

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
no need for shape. just bank the 8 ball 3 rails into the right hand side pocket while the cueball goes around 3 rails to bank the 9 into the upper left corner. easy peasy

Last edited:

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
Regardless of how you are hitting it. The right shot is one rail across the table rather then all the extra inside spin needed to go the way OP shot it.

Like others said. Using left or right is going to have to be at the discretion of the shooter due to variances in equipment.