Growing Pool, as a Hobby.

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The problem with Pool is multilayered but there are a few big problems.

Its in a place that serves alcohol so kids can't go there on their own.

That is the biggest problem we have. We aren't creating places that support our grass to grow.

Actually not all rooms are bars. As an example Amazing Billiards in Malden MA. No Alcohol.

Though most do. I was thinking purely about pool as the main income not alcohol with games to play (Darts, Pool, Corn Hole, Air Hockey, Fush Ball etc.).

But yes, in bars my business model would have troubles being successful for sure...

Linwood

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its in a place that serves alcohol so kids can't go there on their own.

Depends on the age of the kid perhaps, and what kind of event, but somehow bowling alleys serve alcohol (many/most do) and yet attract kids events. I can't recall ever hearing someone say a bowling alley was a bad place for a kid. And yet somehow they manage to have leagues and other adult oriented events. Look at this place:

http://headpinz.com/

I think they may even have some pool tables but it's completely lost in the big game rooms.

Honestly I don't quite know what makes it different, but you just do not get the flavor of "I wouldn't let my kid walk in there" despite alcohol and quite a lot of adult activity.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
I understand. The difference is that in bowling alleys you find families who go there for recreation. Not so much in bars.

Depends on the age of the kid perhaps, and what kind of event, but somehow bowling alleys serve alcohol (many/most do) and yet attract kids events. I can't recall ever hearing someone say a bowling alley was a bad place for a kid. And yet somehow they manage to have leagues and other adult oriented events. Look at this place:

I think they may even have some pool tables but it's completely lost in the big game rooms.

Honestly I don't quite know what makes it different, but you just do not get the flavor of "I wouldn't let my kid walk in there" despite alcohol and quite a lot of adult activity.

Linwood

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I understand. The difference is that in bowling alleys you find families who go there for recreation. Not so much in bars.
I get that, I am just saying that alcohol doesn't seem to impact their ability to attract families and kids. It may even enhance it.

And FSU just announced they will sell alcohol at their college games (not exactly a young person activity but still youth).

Definitely different in both cases than "bar" but just suggesting that there's a spectrum between no-alcohol, and hard-core-no-kids-bar.

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
Exhibition Pool in Malls with Giveaways

Link: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tcDmwn9n6M8.

We need more of these exhibitions in every mall in America.
Great public relations tool.
Locals rooms could have a raffle for a decent cue and case.
Lesser prizes could be free table time or group lessons.
The e-mail addresses gathered could be used as a contact list for future promotions.

Something like ......
Dr. Billiards Traveling Trick Shot Show featuring Venom.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Spot on re: bowling. I would just add that bowling has made a huge investment and focused effort on targeting kids; the arcade, snack bar, "cosmic Bowling", gutter bumpers, etc.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Paul Schofield seems to have done pretty well, for a long time now, regardless of the AZers who whine and complain about how they'd never set foot in his place with "that kind of dress code."

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Duly noted and good point. One I hadn't given a lot of weight.

I get that, I am just saying that alcohol doesn't seem to impact their ability to attract families and kids. It may even enhance it.

And FSU just announced they will sell alcohol at their college games (not exactly a young person activity but still youth).

Definitely different in both cases than "bar" but just suggesting that there's a spectrum between no-alcohol, and hard-core-no-kids-bar.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
My hats off to him. He stood his ground for his best demographic.

Paul Schofield seems to have done pretty well, for a long time now, regardless of the AZers who whine and complain about how they'd never set foot in his place with "that kind of dress code."

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
Spot on re: bowling. I would just add that bowling has made a huge investment and focused effort on targeting kids; the arcade, snack bar, "cosmic Bowling", gutter bumpers, etc.

All of that was done as a last ditch effort to save bowling houses after the league players quit signing up to play.

There now is really only one multi location owner of bowling houses, and they are not from America.
Brunswick and AMF are long gone from the bowling world.

Square footage is a big problem keeping alleys from being profitable.

Regular, weekly league signups are more profitable during the weekdays than spotty open play.

65% of the bowling alleys have been closed here in Southern California.