Any rambow cue fans out there. Eye candy here

Rackattach

Banned
Wow!!
All I can say. Stunning colors on this one.

IMG_0684.jpg

IMG_0685.jpg

IMG_0687.jpg

IMG_0688.jpg

IMG_0690.jpg

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Not to be negative, but I've never seen a Rambow with such long points on the Titlist butt. I've also never seen such bright white phenolic like ferrures on a Rambow. Again, not drawing conclusions, but do you have a provenance on this cue?

All the best,
WW

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
too many parts dont fit his work. could be the refinish changed the cue a lot from original. the sig. doesnt look right either. like if it was real the refinish ruined it and the guy made it back him self.

points make it look like it wasnt his either. and the black butt plate is wrong.

all aside its a nice cue. but to preserve its value old authentic items shouldnt be refinished.

OLD NO 9

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
too many parts dont fit his work. could be the refinish changed the cue a lot from original. the sig. doesnt look right either. like if it was real the refinish ruined it and the guy made it back him self.

points make it look like it wasnt his either. and the black butt plate is wrong.

all aside its a nice cue. but to preserve its value old authentic items shouldnt be refinished.

Yea, I would really like to see some before and after pictures.

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
The cue obviously has been refinished and rewrapped. There is no way the original signature survived what would have had to be done, and I know that Scot has "restored" the signatures on other cues... like Blacks, and Motteys.

I have had short butt plate Rambows, so I won't cry foul on that unless the material is wrong... Ivory ring.. some crack some don't.. luck of how 70 years of storage has worked or not. Long points.. sure.. even a bling squirrel finds a nut once in a while...

But this falls into the was it so bad I had to restore vs. the 70% rule for maintaining originality.

Nice cue...

JV

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Best looking 70 year old shafts I've ever seen (still so thick?). One shaft looks original and one does not. Other than that the cue does look right to me though. How Mosconi could run 500 balls with that I don't know. He loved his Rambow though!

Last edited:

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I retired from pool for a few decades until I retired from work and then restarted my pool "career". I used to go to estate sales in St Louis before I moved. I remember being in the basement of a house with a bar and nice table and what I now realize was a large collection of Rambow cues. There was also a steel jointed cue with MOP inlays and no signature or insignia. But, knowing nothing about pool cues at the time I hit a few balls and didn't make an offer.

I suspect the bundle was worth 50 times what they were asking for table and accessories.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice cue.

I was not sure what to make of it when I first saw it. I didn't want to risk insults by questioning what I saw.

I would love to see pics before the work was done.

For the moment I'll just say I like it. It's nice. And I may just leave it at that.

PRED

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The look when the Antiques Roadshow expert explains how the restoration wiped away most of the value.

djv122385

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've never seen a Rambow with points that long, making the signature seem out of place. That and it looks like the handle was replaced or redone. I'm going to have to agree with the consensus here until I see otherwise.

Rackattach

Banned
Would anyone like to bet $1000 each, placed in escrow against an LOA for hercek or Rubino? We could always have some good fun with this one.

PRED

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's not the authenticity so much as the resto. Originality rules because it is only original once. A signature by the hand of the man Rambow used unmolested is the draw. Pencil over that and the bottom falls out on the value.
The finish was never that good when it was new, as bad as it was it was worth more unrestored. The wrap may be an exception if replaced because it doesn't detract from the originality as much as a total resto.

You have a beautiful cue restored and it is now a player, not a collector grade piece.

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Really interesting to see the responses, I think the cue is very pretty and I know little about Rambow's cues. Thanks for sharing your pictures and also thanks for those who chimed in and made this an informative thread about restorations(at least for me).

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Would anyone like to bet $1000 each, placed in escrow against an LOA for hercek or Rubino? We could always have some good fun with this one.

I'll take this bet publically:

-LOA showing original construction and signature, with specs, and an x-ray of the cue.
-Don't care about the refinish, but if a handle is under that wrap, it's not a Rambow.
-Before picture of the cue's refinish

Classiccues posted on here, let's escrow with him if he wants, he's as solid as they get. I'll cover the cost of the x-ray if I lose this bet.

Any doofus can use a pencil, and machine a brass pin to look like a Rambow.

I have another taker with me and we will post up to 2k

I understand if this is just a vintage looking Davis blank, but it's sure as s*** not a Rambow as it left his shop

Last edited: