Can't find a fargo rate on some of the more famous pool instructors

newcuer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just bringing this up. I understand the argument that the best players don't necessarily make the best instructors, but you would think some of the more famous instructors and video content providers would at least have some sort of fargo rate.

Unless they are purposely afraid to get one?? But to be fair, some areas of the country don't use fargo (dominated by the APA, like here in Chicago) so maybe that's why?

Last edited:

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just bringing this up. I understand the argument that the best players don't necessarily make the best instructors, but you would think some of the more famous instructors and video content providers would at least have some sort of fargo rate.

Unless they are purposely afraid to get one?? But to be fair, some areas of the country does use fargo (dominated by the APA, like here in Chicago) so maybe that's why?

weASHQT.jpg

Shuddy

Diamond Dave’s babysitter
Silver Member

Unless they are purposely afraid to get one?? But to be fair, some areas of the country don't use fargo (dominated by the APA, like here in Chicago) so maybe that's why?

There’s multiple problems here. First, as you mentioned, Fargo is not used everywhere in the States, let alone the rest of the world. Second, as you also mentioned, not every instructor is a great player. One of the best English billiards coaches in Australia hardly ever touches a cue. In fact, I’ve never even seen him play. However, he has coached some world class billiards players. In fact, you could ask the same question of nearly any sport. Barry Stark is a great snooker coach, but doesn’t have a professional ranking, nor does he try to get one. He’s retired, and when he did play, it was in a different era. I’m not going to continue with examples, but I’m sure there’s plenty more.

In fact, it could be argued that coaches getting a Fargo rate is only a losing proposal. Having a low Fargo rate will lose them business when the reality is that their Fargo is completely irrelevant to their coaching skill or knowledge of cue-sports. Conversely, you could end up with coaches showing off their great Fargo rate and wasting people’s money because they are in fact rubbish coaches. Attaching a hard number to something, regardless of it’s relevance, tends to be a significant factor is a person’s decision making process.

Personally, “What’s your Fargo?” would be the last question I’d ask a prospective coach.

newcuer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Understand your points Shuddy...but to go so far as to avoid any fargo tournaments so as to make more money selling themselves, that to me is a little sad (if that is the reason they don't have a fargo).

Shuddy

Diamond Dave’s babysitter
Silver Member
Understand your points Shuddy...but to go so far as to avoid any fargo tournaments so as to make more money selling themselves, that to me is a little sad (if that is the reason they don't have a fargo).

If they wanted to play and didn’t because they were scared their Fargo would hurt their business, that is sad for a few reasons. But if they have no real desire to play in tournaments and don’t succumb to the pressure to get a Fargo, I see no problem.

Hard to say what their motivation is I guess.

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Until the SBE Seniors reports to Fargorate for rankings I guess I still won't have one.

It is about the only tourney I play in now.

Where I live I don't know of any tourny's that report to Fargo, and at my age, the days of me traveling 200-300 miles to play in a bigger event are over.

Big time tourney pool is a game for the young, not the half dead.

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Angelo Dundee never knocked anyone out. Are you saying you wouldn’t have wanted him as your trainer?

Reactions: bbb

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Why????? What if they don't play tournaments or league? Fargo has NOTHING to do with a teacher's ability to teach. Some of the greatest golf instructors EVER were not tournament players. Does that lessen their knowledge or ability to transfer it?? No.

newcuer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It could be that don't play Fargo matches because they have no interest. But it seems odd to me.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It could be that don't play Fargo matches because they have no interest. But it seems odd to me.
I've been playing roughly 40yrs. I've known some top-notch teachers. Very few were tournament players or action guys. Its not odd at all. Why do you assume that teaching and competing go hand-in-hand? I've known a lot of great players that had NO clue how to teach it. Just the way it is.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member

Anyone in particular.? A lot of dedicated instructors don’t play tournaments anymore, and the top instructors had their prime tourney days long before Fargorate. The godfather of American pool instruction, Jerry Brieseth, is a muti-time Wisconsin State champion. Randy G still competes but doubt he concentrates on tournaments. He’s won Texas State titles in the various leagues. Bob Jewett is a former ACU-I national champion.

Freddie <~~~ zero robustness

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Angelo Dundee never knocked anyone out. Are you saying you wouldn’t have wanted him as your trainer?

The premise of the thread is a hit job. A poorly disguised jab at folks who contribute to the sport we love.

If the above is innacurate, must be the result of ignorance. Surely, one must admit there are plenty of pro-level coaches who have never been pro-level players.

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The premise of the thread is a hit job. A poorly disguised jab at folks who contribute to the sport we love.

If the above is innacurate, must be the result of ignorance. Surely, one must admit there are plenty of pro-level coaches who have never been pro-level players.

I like the way you tell people to piss off.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
The ability to teach a skill doesn't come with the skill.

Teaching is a separate skill unto itself.

pj
chgo

Well said, and a truely great teacher is flexible enough to be aable to communicate with many people, who have many skill levels, motivation to learn, and difficulty understanding instructions.

Some people take lessons, but put no effort preaching what they were taught, they expected lesson taking would be ingesting a magic pill. Like taking Keflex, and drinking extra water for 10 days, four times a day to prevent infection, or cure an infection.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My theory is that the best players don’t verbalize what they’re doing because it would screw them up. Good teachers analyze everything so they can verbalize and teach it.

I have wondered if some of them have asked Mike Page to remove them from Fargo ratings...

Banger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I suspect good coaches make more money from coaching, than they ever could by playing tournaments. I mean, there is no entry fee to pay, and if they have a steady stream of students, then it sounds like a pretty good gig. A lifetime of steady work has some benefits over 15 minutes of fame.

newcuer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's not a hit job and if you ask must of the PBIA instructors they don't rely on teaching as there main source of income. Most teach sporadically. There is not big bucks in teaching pool. And I wouldn't be surprised if the lesser known PBIA instructors do have a fargo rate and do play tournaments because they probably teach because they love the game.

Also, I have to say I have learned more from Dr. Dave and Tor's videos in the past few years than anything else to help my game. I just find it odd, they don't have a fargo. Nothing more nothing less. But it could be due to that they aren't in area that uses fargo or just don't want to play tournaments.

newcuer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But, as fargo does spread more and more..I will admit if I were to take lessons, and if fargo keeps spreading as it has been...I wouldn't select an instructor with an established fargo rating of say ~500.

Sorry, but this is pool not boxing, not baseball, not basketball, etc. The game doesn't rely on natural physical abilities nor being young like those other sports.