Switching to a low deflection shaft, pros and cons?

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I disagree. Consistency comes from practice, not your cue.

I agree.

You didn't read the rest of what you quoted it seems. He said what he meant by "consistency" is that you can aim more the same for all your shots. Meaning you don't have to adjust as much for deflection. Thus the aim for a tip of right would be closer to the aim for a center ball hit compared to a standard shaft. The poster was calling this "consistency".

Consistency comes from both places.

KMRUNOUT

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've played all my serious pool using an old school maple shaft.

For those that have tried the low deflection shafts as well as non-low deflection shafts:

- What do you see as the pros and cons?

- How did it affect your level of play?

- Also, what do most of the professionals use these days?

Thanks in advance for sharing,

Matt

Matt,

I'm late for league so let me be as concise as possible:

Pros: Less variability in aiming. With practice, you will simply miss less balls when using english. Much easier to use inside english, and spinning the ball really becomes easy. Once you find a LD shaft you like, most of the manufacturers can duplicate that shaft very closely.

Cons: Feel of a solid shaft is perhaps a bit nicer, but really I prefer the feel of stroking the ball and it doing what I want. Once you get used to LD, you can't just pick up any cue and expect to be able to play well.

When I finally transitioned to the Predator 314, I was still learning...maybe a C player. So my game was going to improve anyway. But my ability to pocket balls with english went way up. I actually didn't have much issue at all making the transition.

Many pros play with LD shafts. Jayson Shaw, SVB, etc. Pretty much all the European guys use Predator.

Personally, I like the 314-2 because that is what I spent the most time with. I LOVE the taper, and the hit is good to me. OB offers a somewhat more solid hit with perhaps better feel. I really like the OB Classic +. If you are looking for very low deflection, I'd focus on Predator and OB. If you are open to the medium-low deflection shafts, Jacoby Edge is nice...hits great (if a bit soft). Also, I have a Bob danielson SS360 that hits fantastic. Plays great all around. I hear the SS360-2 is even better and lower deflection. Also the Meucci Pro shaft is excellent. Nice hit, crazy action on the ball, and pretty low deflection. You really need to try them out for yourself. If you can get to the Super Billiards Expo, all of your questions will get answered!

Overall, I think LD is a good idea.

KMRUNOUT

Ahgao86

Registered
All I can think to suggest is to watch all of the videos and look at all of the illustrations and explanations in the articles on the BHE/FHE resource page (even if you have already viewed everything). A 2nd viewing might help make things more clear. I don't think anything I write here can improve much on the demonstrations, illustrations, and explanations on the resource page, but feel free to ask specific questions after you look through the material again.

Regards,
Dave

Hi Dr Dave, I will spend some time reviewing the materials again. Appreciate your effort in experimenting and compiling all these together. I have learnt a ton by going through your website. Will revert again soon.

Best regards,
Jameson Chin

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just finished going through most myths.

Very interesting ideas.

Was looking for a section on partial cue tip contact on the cue ball.
I'm not exactly sure what you mean here, but I assume you mean large tip-offset shots used to impart significant spin. Here are some pertinent resource pages:

maximum english

maximum tip offset and overspin

power draw

miscue

As a newbie, I think hitting the cue ball partially with the cue tip creates useful effects. Being on the edge of miscue regions, I bang balls and its something I cant let go of.
Shots with close to maximum tip offset are important in top-level play. They are also fun when they work properly.

Regards,
Dave

PocketSpeed11

AzB Long Member
Silver Member
I made the switch to LD within the past few months. I had bought a Predator 314-2 for my Schon close to a year ago or so. I played with that shaft twice and promptly put it away. I felt like the adjustment was a bit overrated, except for when it came to banking. I felt like my bank game was strong, but the LD shaft just killed it. The ball just seemed to rebound short every time.

Fast-forward several months later and the tip on my maple shaft needs replacing. Once again, I try the predator. I try it out for a week and a half or so. Once again, the effect it had on my banking frustrated the hell out of me and I decide to stick with maple. But the next time I shot with a maple shaft, I felt as if my brain had adjusted too much to LD. I could barely make a shot with english. So I gave in and decided to stick with the LD. I wasn't a fan of the feel of the Predator, so I bought a Mezz cue with my fantasy baseball winnings. Awesome decision because I love the cue. The feel and quality are top-notch. And with the Zan premium soft tip, it hits pretty damn sweet. The banking is starting to get back to pre-switch strength and my game is the strongest it's ever been. I have also been doing a lot more drills, so I'm not saying it's the shaft alone. Not by a long shot. But do I feel the LD shaft has improved my game outside of a placebo effect? It's nothing drastic, but I definitely do. I wrestled with the idea of maple or LD for too long. I'm glad I finally bought in.

PoolChump

Banned
Shaft Personal Preference

Whether a shaft is of solid maple or a hybrid low-deflection it really comes down to the hit and feedback. I can play the same regardless if it is a house cue or a $1,000 custom cue. It is your fundamentals, stroke, pattern play, position, adjusting to slow table or bouncy rails, mental game, heart, firepower, safeties, and many more aspects to play the game well.:wink:

Last edited:

Cujopro

Registered
Hi Everyone

Been playing with a Predator for the last 16 years, In which I normally change shafts every 2-3yrs.
I am VERY use to how they play , and a bit nervous to changing brands

Since I'm looking to get a new shaft at the top of 2017....

Should I go with a 314-3 or an OB Classic+ ?

Been hearing a lot of positive about OB (more than any other brand including Predator), but being up here in Canada I don't have the opportunity to try all of these LD shafts.

Thoughts ??? suggestions???

Thanks

Kimmo H.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Everyone

Been playing with a Predator for the last 16 years, In which I normally change shafts every 2-3yrs.
I am VERY use to how they play , and a bit nervous to changing brands

Since I'm looking to get a new shaft at the top of 2017....

Should I go with a 314-3 or an OB Classic+ ?

Been hearing a lot of positive about OB (more than any other brand including Predator), but being up here in Canada I don't have the opportunity to try all of these LD shafts.

Thoughts ??? suggestions???

Thanks

If you have been satisfied with Predator for the past 16 years why change? I'd go with a 314'3 if I were you. My fiancee plays with one and we both like how it plays :smile:

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does not matter

Whether you use a regular maple or LD shaft does not matter at all. The only thing that matters is which one you shoot best with. Many a top player has proven great pool can be shot with either shaft.

The only way to know for sure is to start with a very good hard maple shaft and then spend a bunch of money on a few top LD shafts and see which one you shoot best with after dozens of hours of playing with each shaft and a variety of tips.
I know, that sounds expensive and time consuming, but it is the truth.

When I watch SVB play I want his shaft, when I watch vintage Efren play I want his shaft, etc.

I have a Meucci Black Dot and OB Classic that takes me several hours to get used to again. Both are good shafts, but I pretty much use an identical pair of Diviney Lake Salvage Shafts, as I like the thought of using old submerged wood.

Last edited:

bral

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The only thing that matters is which one you shoot best with. Many a top player has proven great pool can be shot with either shaft.

I think it's easy for some players to lose sight of this, even as obvious as it seems. I had a bit of hang-up with this myself over "feel" and later settled into a more results-based decision and haven't looked back.

SCCues

< Searing Twins
Silver Member
Hi James,

Could you share your new aiming system?

Regards,
Jameson Chin

No matter how you aim you have to practice to get the feel of how your cue hits the ball. Don't hit the ball any harder than you have to, the softer the hit the better for accuracy.

Last edited:

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
I think it's easy for some players to lose sight of this, even as obvious as it seems. I had a bit of hang-up with this myself over "feel" and later settled into a more results-based decision and haven't looked back.

Finally, someone gets it !!.. The good baseball bats cost $400 to $500. The good ones sound pretty good to, and real nice "DING" sound, versus more of a "thump" sound.

Well, we tried one that sounded bad at the batting cage (they had test bats), and also felt bad as it vibrated at impact... but we tested it outside and he was launching balls over the fence. Bat sounded horrible, felt terrible, but the results is all we cared about ;) bought the bat :)