Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page conceding the last ball.
Page 1 of 5 1 23 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
conceding the last ball.
Old
  (#1)
lorider
AzB Silver Member
lorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

conceding the last ball. - 03-11-2018, 10:37 PM

I know this subject has been rough up on here before but it seemed like it was always about a fairly easy shot....or not. Well I had a similar situation today in masters except it was about my opponent spotting the 9 after he made the 9 and scratched.

After he scratched I just marked down a win for me while he is as getting the balls out if the tray....or at less that's what I thought. He instead retrieved just the 9 and spotted it.

I laughed and said ...you want me to shoot it ? He said yea. So I retrieved the cue ball and was still chuckling to myself when I pocketed the 9. Now I realize anything can happen on any shot and truth be told I have missed shots before with bih but it was mostly because I was trying to get position.

I have known this guy for years and have played him countless times and even though he is a 7/7 and I am a 5/5 its anybodys game when we match up. Actually we were tied at the time he spotted the ball and I guess he was wanting to play mind games at this point.

Do you guys make it a habit of making your opponent shoot the money ball and hen he has bih ?

Old
  (#2)
Shotcy
AzB Silver Member
Shotcy has a reputation beyond reputeShotcy has a reputation beyond reputeShotcy has a reputation beyond reputeShotcy has a reputation beyond reputeShotcy has a reputation beyond reputeShotcy has a reputation beyond reputeShotcy has a reputation beyond reputeShotcy has a reputation beyond reputeShotcy has a reputation beyond reputeShotcy has a reputation beyond reputeShotcy has a reputation beyond repute

03-11-2018, 10:47 PM

Depends on my mood and how good the player is. If its a weaker player I'd probably make them shoot that shot. Pressure makes people miss all the time. Skill levels 6 and up id like to think I wouldn't make them shoot that. I Will never give the 9-ball if its not ball in hand.

Old
  (#3)
us820
AzB Silver Member
us820 has a reputation beyond reputeus820 has a reputation beyond reputeus820 has a reputation beyond reputeus820 has a reputation beyond reputeus820 has a reputation beyond reputeus820 has a reputation beyond reputeus820 has a reputation beyond reputeus820 has a reputation beyond reputeus820 has a reputation beyond reputeus820 has a reputation beyond reputeus820 has a reputation beyond repute

03-11-2018, 11:00 PM

I never conceed ever.The 1 in 50 miss can't happen if they don't shoot it.

Old
  (#4)
gesan
AzB Silver Member
gesan has a reputation beyond reputegesan has a reputation beyond reputegesan has a reputation beyond reputegesan has a reputation beyond reputegesan has a reputation beyond reputegesan has a reputation beyond reputegesan has a reputation beyond reputegesan has a reputation beyond reputegesan has a reputation beyond reputegesan has a reputation beyond reputegesan has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 875

03-11-2018, 11:20 PM

If he is 77 and you are 55 you oughta be able to tell him it's his shot. I played a guy 77 once on sunset strip. He was kookie, spent more time combing his hair then playing pool!

I told him he had to bank the 9 every time and he said no problem, said he had friend that was the best banker he ever saw. Guy named mr. Drysdale, said guy hung around a bunch of hill billys that used to eat off their pool table.

Had a broad with him (I think she was witch) every time he would line up a 3 rail bank on the nine she wiggled her nose and the damn ball went right in.

best shot I ever saw was either will sonnet or 1 of his sons- according to him- he and his son were always forced to shoot.

Unless the guy is a better shot then Matt Dillon I say make him shoot! Just like this post everything before the shot on the 9ball is BS.

I hope that helps

Old
  (#5)
LeonD123
AzB Silver Member
LeonD123 has a reputation beyond reputeLeonD123 has a reputation beyond reputeLeonD123 has a reputation beyond reputeLeonD123 has a reputation beyond reputeLeonD123 has a reputation beyond reputeLeonD123 has a reputation beyond reputeLeonD123 has a reputation beyond reputeLeonD123 has a reputation beyond reputeLeonD123 has a reputation beyond reputeLeonD123 has a reputation beyond reputeLeonD123 has a reputation beyond repute

03-12-2018, 01:36 AM

Never give anything. Even if the guy miss the shot 1% of the time.

Also, when Iím running a rack, I would hate having someone stoping me.

Old
  (#6)
rjb1168
AzB Gold Member
rjb1168 has a reputation beyond reputerjb1168 has a reputation beyond reputerjb1168 has a reputation beyond reputerjb1168 has a reputation beyond reputerjb1168 has a reputation beyond reputerjb1168 has a reputation beyond reputerjb1168 has a reputation beyond reputerjb1168 has a reputation beyond reputerjb1168 has a reputation beyond reputerjb1168 has a reputation beyond reputerjb1168 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

03-12-2018, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorider View Post
I know this subject has been rough up on here before but it seemed like it was always about a fairly easy shot....or not. Well I had a similar situation today in masters except it was about my opponent spotting the 9 after he made the 9 and scratched.

After he scratched I just marked down a win for me while he is as getting the balls out if the tray....or at less that's what I thought. He instead retrieved just the 9 and spotted it.

I laughed and said ...you want me to shoot it ? He said yea. So I retrieved the cue ball and was still chuckling to myself when I pocketed the 9. Now I realize anything can happen on any shot and truth be told I have missed shots before with bih but it was mostly because I was trying to get position.

I have known this guy for years and have played him countless times and even though he is a 7/7 and I am a 5/5 its anybodys game when we match up. Actually we were tied at the time he spotted the ball and I guess he was wanting to play mind games at this point.

Do you guys make it a habit of making your opponent shoot the money ball and hen he has bih ?
It's more than likely a waste of time but anyone can screw up, maybe it's a 1-20 chance but it could happen. I don't normally give last ball.

in practice.....
Old
  (#7)
cscott67
AzB Silver Member
cscott67 has a reputation beyond reputecscott67 has a reputation beyond reputecscott67 has a reputation beyond reputecscott67 has a reputation beyond reputecscott67 has a reputation beyond reputecscott67 has a reputation beyond reputecscott67 has a reputation beyond reputecscott67 has a reputation beyond reputecscott67 has a reputation beyond reputecscott67 has a reputation beyond reputecscott67 has a reputation beyond repute

Cool in practice..... - 03-12-2018, 04:02 AM

I don't make them shoot it. League, depends on player. Money, they have to make the ball!!!!! Doc

Old
  (#8)
tonythetiger583
AzB Silver Member
tonythetiger583 has a reputation beyond reputetonythetiger583 has a reputation beyond reputetonythetiger583 has a reputation beyond reputetonythetiger583 has a reputation beyond reputetonythetiger583 has a reputation beyond reputetonythetiger583 has a reputation beyond reputetonythetiger583 has a reputation beyond reputetonythetiger583 has a reputation beyond reputetonythetiger583 has a reputation beyond reputetonythetiger583 has a reputation beyond reputetonythetiger583 has a reputation beyond repute

03-12-2018, 04:05 AM

I don't know, personally for me, conceding balls feels slimey.

Especially if they've made a good run of it, I don't want to take away their satisfaction of making the money ball.

Conceding a ball almost feels like pretending you're doing them a favour and should get some sort of credit or at least soothe your ego by believing you're a good person.

It's giving you some sense of value, even when you're on the losing end. They beat you (at least for that game), and you shouldn't be trying to steal their glory by pretending you helped.

Now if they miscue on the money ball and you still give them the game...maybe.

It's in the same vein of people who say...aww shucks, I hate winning like that. You hate it, but you're still going to take the win, so you obviously don't hate it that much.

Old
  (#9)
Johnny Rosato
AzB Silver Member
Johnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond repute

03-12-2018, 04:14 AM

Quote:

You typed in my answer ~ 3rd paragraph, last sentence!

Old
  (#10)
easy-e
AzB Silver Member
easy-e has a reputation beyond reputeeasy-e has a reputation beyond reputeeasy-e has a reputation beyond reputeeasy-e has a reputation beyond reputeeasy-e has a reputation beyond reputeeasy-e has a reputation beyond reputeeasy-e has a reputation beyond reputeeasy-e has a reputation beyond reputeeasy-e has a reputation beyond reputeeasy-e has a reputation beyond reputeeasy-e has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 25

03-12-2018, 05:13 AM

Quote:

You donít have to treat this as a black and white scenario. Itís ok to make them shoot it sometimes, and sometimes itís ok to give it to them. Up to you to decide each time.

Old
  (#11)
Black-Balled
He Rides the Skies
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1200
  Send a message via AIM to Black-Balled  
03-12-2018, 05:46 AM

I guess it depends on skill level. Really can't make a 'what would you do' statement, without some knowledge of the skill level of the shooter.

I am not missing 1 in 20, or 1 in 50, or even 1 in 100...and I suck at pool, compared to a lotta players.

Old
  (#12)
hang-the-9
AzB Silver Member
hang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

03-12-2018, 05:51 AM

Quote:

A lot of tournaments have a rule that you can't concede the last ball. The funny thing is that so many people don't make people shoot the last ball, a lot of players think if you scratch on the 9 it's a loss LOL

I had someone with the 8 ball hanging in a pocket, he decided to smash it, and drew it across to the other side pocket for a loss.

"I'll back you against anyone, as long as you did not know you were playng for money"

Charter member of the D-Bag Club, we stick to the letter of the rules not the spirit, and up yours!

Old
  (#13)
Coop1701
AzB Silver Member
Coop1701 has a reputation beyond reputeCoop1701 has a reputation beyond reputeCoop1701 has a reputation beyond reputeCoop1701 has a reputation beyond reputeCoop1701 has a reputation beyond reputeCoop1701 has a reputation beyond reputeCoop1701 has a reputation beyond reputeCoop1701 has a reputation beyond reputeCoop1701 has a reputation beyond reputeCoop1701 has a reputation beyond reputeCoop1701 has a reputation beyond repute

03-12-2018, 05:51 AM

5 and above... I don't make them shoot it. I have had some low ranked league players who have missed ball in hand on the 9. So it just depends on their level. I would have been shocked that guy made you shoot it Lorider.

Old
  (#14)
MattPoland
AzB Silver Member
MattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond repute

03-12-2018, 06:05 AM

If Iím forced to shoot it, thatís because it is up to my opponent. It is their prerogative and I just flow with it. I just remember. I donít give shots to those that donít give me shots. Otherwise I play it by ear. Sometimes I will give a gimmie because itís one less shot keeping their arm loose and that much sooner I get out of the chair. But I wonít do that in team play, hill-hill, for big money, or if I just feel like making him shoot it for whatever whim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Old
  (#15)
Swighey
AzB Silver Member
Swighey has a reputation beyond reputeSwighey has a reputation beyond reputeSwighey has a reputation beyond reputeSwighey has a reputation beyond reputeSwighey has a reputation beyond reputeSwighey has a reputation beyond reputeSwighey has a reputation beyond reputeSwighey has a reputation beyond reputeSwighey has a reputation beyond reputeSwighey has a reputation beyond reputeSwighey has a reputation beyond repute

03-12-2018, 06:41 AM

Depends, depends, depends. The best player in the world can miss a sitter under pressure or if there is zero pressure and nonchalance kicks in. A weak player who has played his or her heart out and got to said situation deserves to be given the money ball. That's me but each to their own.

Responding to the OP, just shut up and shoot it. He may or may not be playing mind games, but bottom line is you have to pot the 9 to win. It's unsporting to even suggest that you shouldn't have to shoot it.

Page 1 of 5 1 23 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: