Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page what are the all-time greatest pool matches?
Page 3 of 4 123 4

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#31)
bbb
AzB Silver Member

bbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

11-20-2018, 10:50 AM

lou vs john barton ....
sorry i couldnt resist.....

Old
  (#32)
poolnoob
AzB Silver Member
poolnoob has a reputation beyond reputepoolnoob has a reputation beyond reputepoolnoob has a reputation beyond reputepoolnoob has a reputation beyond reputepoolnoob has a reputation beyond reputepoolnoob has a reputation beyond reputepoolnoob has a reputation beyond reputepoolnoob has a reputation beyond reputepoolnoob has a reputation beyond reputepoolnoob has a reputation beyond reputepoolnoob has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

11-20-2018, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hang-the-9 View Post
Almost forgot, the Wu match when he was 16, I think against Ko, in the World Championship finals. I remember Corey Deuel saying that it was the greatest thing in pool he has seen.
His opponent was Kuo Po Cheng. Not related to Ko brothers.

Sent from my Hi9Air using Tapatalk

Old
  (#33)
Ken_4fun
AzB Silver Member
Ken_4fun has a reputation beyond reputeKen_4fun has a reputation beyond reputeKen_4fun has a reputation beyond reputeKen_4fun has a reputation beyond reputeKen_4fun has a reputation beyond reputeKen_4fun has a reputation beyond reputeKen_4fun has a reputation beyond reputeKen_4fun has a reputation beyond reputeKen_4fun has a reputation beyond reputeKen_4fun has a reputation beyond reputeKen_4fun has a reputation beyond repute

11-20-2018, 01:24 PM

Efren vs Jason Miller - One Pocket Finals at DCC.

Jason Miller was killing giants the entire tournament, I had not seen him play much before, but you could tell he was something special. Played all games well including 9 ball, banks and one pocket. He was definitely "on" or "instroke".

Efren absolutely dominated the match, Jason hardly got a shot, and Efren beat him 3 straight games in less than 45 minutes. It was the best one pocket I have ever seen, bar none (and I have seen years and years of playing).

Second, is the bank ring game won by Skyler Woodward.

Ken

Current cues - Balabushka, Gus Szamboti, Gus Szamboti Hoppe, Schick, Pfd, BHQ Butterfly and Rick Howard J/B.

Cases - Jack Justis, Fellini, Fellini, Fellini, JB Case.

Watchez is the teacher

" Pool was once my passion, then it was my job, and now it is my sentence."

Mark Wilson's Lindenwood University? Soon to be renamed to the Mosconi Cup Breeding Factory - KoolKat9Lives

Old
  (#34)
jay helfert
Shoot Pool, not people
jay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond repute

11-20-2018, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donuteric View Post
Many matches I like have been mentioned, so I'd just add that match when Efren ran a 9-pack against Bustamante in an European event.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asEjvAZOnek
I believe that was in the 1999 World Championships in Cardiff, Wales. I have the DVD of that match on my website.

http://www.jayhelfert.com/ to order More Pool Wars

Old
  (#35)
Ratamon
AzB Bronze Member

Ratamon is on a distinguished road

12-05-2018, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black-Balled View Post
Shannon v. Reyes @southern classic.
Did you mean Shannon vs Ryan Stone @Southern Classic 2012. That was a real nail-biter, with the Cannon needing one ball to win 3-0 and jamming a straight-in shot to go on to lose 3-2.

A couple of other great one pocket matches off the cuff:
- Shannon v Reyes 1998 Legends - one of the very few weakness moments on great Efren's part.
- J.Fusco v Nick Varner @ QF of 1991 Legends (the second one held in Philly) - this one is probably my favourite, with Jimmy doing an after-the-match commentary alongside Grady, trying to recall the shots and giving insights as to why he preferred to shoot a particular shot. I have this match on 2 VHS tapes but I think it was also released on DVD. You may need to ask around this forum and onepocket.org as Pat has taken it off sale years ago.
- any match with Steve Cook, really. His 1991 LOP match with Jose Parica (from the first LOP tourney held in Columbia SC) was a clear showcase of class and dominance. Steve held Jose to 6 balls in 5 racks! His 1991 LOP finals against Mizerak (Philly style) was also very good - some unusual but effective shot selections there. They man clearly saw the shots that others didn't. So sad he passed on way before his time at the age of 56.
- Hall/Dobrowolski from 1995 Roanoke also springs to mind for its great after-the-match player review commentary from Buddy and Steve.
- Reyes/Smith from 2015 Accu-Stats Invitational (the first one, not the finals) is an absolute belter. Billy called it the best one-pocket he has ever seen!
- I also agree with the other people recommending Reyes/Pagulayan and Reyes/Miller from 2006 DCC. This is a must see for any one-pocket fan.

Last edited by Ratamon; 07-14-2019 at 08:11 AM.

Old
  (#36)
Ratamon
AzB Bronze Member

Ratamon is on a distinguished road

12-05-2018, 01:49 PM

It looks like no one mentioned Archer/Rempe from the 14th SRO so I will . Buddy and Keith are in the booth. That match is clearly in top 5 (or even 3) 9-ball matches for me! Both guys shoot close to 950 and it goes all the way.

Old
  (#37)
Keith Jawahir
AzB Silver Member
Keith Jawahir has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Jawahir has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Jawahir has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Jawahir has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Jawahir has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Jawahir has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Jawahir has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Jawahir has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Jawahir has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Jawahir has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Jawahir has a reputation beyond repute

12-05-2018, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine_ball6970 View Post
The first time Earl and SVB played race to 100 on 10 footer. The events leading up to Earl wearing earmuffs. The gear Earl caught the next day was unbelievable. He made that 10 footer look like a bar table.
To this day, this is still my favorite match of all time. Earl played like GOD on that table.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleary View Post
People always try to come up with "what's wrong with pool", "how do we fix pool"... want to know what's wrong with pool? The people who play pool. That's what's wrong with pool. Case closed.

Old
  (#38)
Cardigan Kid
AzB Silver Member
Cardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond repute

12-05-2018, 04:49 PM

Quote:
The first time Earl and SVB played race to 100 on 10 footer. The events leading up to Earl wearing earmuffs. The gear Earl caught the next day was unbelievable. He made that 10 footer look like a bar table.
Was this the one at Steinway billiards...where the crowd is going nuts over a safety battle that earl keeps kicking out of and he goes and gets his ear muffs....

https://youtu.be/ifh9eavcGmk

I just recently got this exact 10 foot table, rails are still at earl's specs and it is tough.

Old
  (#39)
skankhammer
AzB Silver Member
skankhammer has a reputation beyond reputeskankhammer has a reputation beyond reputeskankhammer has a reputation beyond reputeskankhammer has a reputation beyond reputeskankhammer has a reputation beyond reputeskankhammer has a reputation beyond reputeskankhammer has a reputation beyond reputeskankhammer has a reputation beyond reputeskankhammer has a reputation beyond reputeskankhammer has a reputation beyond reputeskankhammer has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via Yahoo to skankhammer  
12-05-2018, 06:18 PM

Mine is the 2004 world championships. Alex Pagulayan and Fong Pang Chau. https://youtu.be/MVgIOAso7og

Best 9 ball matches
Old
  (#40)
SCCues
< Searing Twins
SCCues has a reputation beyond reputeSCCues has a reputation beyond reputeSCCues has a reputation beyond reputeSCCues has a reputation beyond reputeSCCues has a reputation beyond reputeSCCues has a reputation beyond reputeSCCues has a reputation beyond reputeSCCues has a reputation beyond reputeSCCues has a reputation beyond reputeSCCues has a reputation beyond reputeSCCues has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2900

Best 9 ball matches - 12-07-2018, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hang-the-9 View Post
Mine would also include the HK Challenge (Color of Money, Earl vs Efren race to 120, etc...)

There is a Nick Varner vs Mike Sigel match that I think was nicknamed "the corner ball match". Don't remember the exact AccuStats video it's in. Nick made some great shots after Mike went ahead by a bunch of games.
I was going to mention the Sigel vs Varner match at the US Open also. Itís an old video and Iím not sure itís still available from AccuStats anymore.
Sigel was ahead 9-2 and Nick ended up corner hooked. Nick calmly kicked two balls in and proceeded to come back and beat Mike 11-10. The commentary was Mathews and Buddy Hall. This match is one of my all time favorites.

Playing cue:-Mottey-
Cues:--Paul Mottey and Kenny Murrell--
Favorite Pool Games:--9 Ball & One Pocket--

Old
  (#41)
mvp
AzB Silver Member
mvp has a reputation beyond reputemvp has a reputation beyond reputemvp has a reputation beyond reputemvp has a reputation beyond reputemvp has a reputation beyond reputemvp has a reputation beyond reputemvp has a reputation beyond reputemvp has a reputation beyond reputemvp has a reputation beyond reputemvp has a reputation beyond reputemvp has a reputation beyond repute

12-07-2018, 02:15 PM

Thanks to the ones pointing out Earl vs Efren color of money match, I watched part 5 (the end) on YouTube. 3hrs of pure awesomeness.

Old
  (#42)
nine_ball6970
585 speed drunk
nine_ball6970 has a reputation beyond reputenine_ball6970 has a reputation beyond reputenine_ball6970 has a reputation beyond reputenine_ball6970 has a reputation beyond reputenine_ball6970 has a reputation beyond reputenine_ball6970 has a reputation beyond reputenine_ball6970 has a reputation beyond reputenine_ball6970 has a reputation beyond reputenine_ball6970 has a reputation beyond reputenine_ball6970 has a reputation beyond reputenine_ball6970 has a reputation beyond repute

12-07-2018, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardigan Kid View Post
Was this the one at Steinway billiards...where the crowd is going nuts over a safety battle that earl keeps kicking out of and he goes and gets his ear muffs....

https://youtu.be/ifh9eavcGmk

I just recently got this exact 10 foot table, rails are still at earl's specs and it is tough.
No. They were playing 9 ball in the TAR match. I do believe it was at Steinway though. I think 2009 or 2010. First time they played a race to 100.

Old
  (#43)
StraightPoolIU
Brent
StraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 800

12-07-2018, 06:26 PM

The Efren "z shot" match. SVB vs Donnie Mills TAR match race to 100 RYO 9 ball. SVB vs Alex TAR match from 2008. I don't remember what they were racing to, but I remember it involves a crazy comeback. For 14.1 fans there was a TAR match between John Schmidt and Danny Harriman straight pool match to 400 points where they each ran over 100 twice. My buddy has it on dvd. Can purchase it for 6 bucks on the TAR on demand page which is still active.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

"No bar, no bowling alley, no pinball machines. Just pool. Nothin else."

Playing Cue: 2003 Pechauer P15
Break Cue: Joss Thor Hammer (purpleheart with ironwood rings)
Jump Cue: OB Lift
Current Tip: G2
Shaft: OB Pro Plus

Last edited by StraightPoolIU; 12-07-2018 at 06:50 PM.

Old
  (#44)
westcoast
AzB Silver Member
westcoast has a reputation beyond reputewestcoast has a reputation beyond reputewestcoast has a reputation beyond reputewestcoast has a reputation beyond reputewestcoast has a reputation beyond reputewestcoast has a reputation beyond reputewestcoast has a reputation beyond reputewestcoast has a reputation beyond reputewestcoast has a reputation beyond reputewestcoast has a reputation beyond reputewestcoast has a reputation beyond repute

12-07-2018, 11:26 PM

Quote:
No. They were playing 9 ball in the TAR match. I do believe it was at Steinway though. I think 2009 or 2010. First time they played a race to 100.
In the tar 10 foot match they played 10 ball somewhere in Ohio. Earl pulled off an upset- beat Shane something like 100-83

Old
  (#45)
nine_ball6970
585 speed drunk
nine_ball6970 has a reputation beyond reputenine_ball6970 has a reputation beyond reputenine_ball6970 has a reputation beyond reputenine_ball6970 has a reputation beyond reputenine_ball6970 has a reputation beyond reputenine_ball6970 has a reputation beyond reputenine_ball6970 has a reputation beyond reputenine_ball6970 has a reputation beyond reputenine_ball6970 has a reputation beyond reputenine_ball6970 has a reputation beyond reputenine_ball6970 has a reputation beyond repute

12-08-2018, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoast View Post
In the tar 10 foot match they played 10 ball somewhere in Ohio. Earl pulled off an upset- beat Shane something like 100-83
I went back and looked. Not sure why I thought it was 9 ball and at Steinway. Guess I am getting old.

Here is a link for anyone who would like to view the match.

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showt...28#post5044128

It is certainly entertaining. You learn why Earl decided to use ear muffs and get to see him inspect racks with a magnifying glass. Right or wrong he is a character. I still believe he possessed the highest gear of anyone to ever play the game.

People after the match said the table was gaffed. They just couldn't believe Earl won.

Page 3 of 4 123 4

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: