No lights over tablets?

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Anyone have bright ceiling lights or LED high hats over your table instead of a hanging light? I will be working on a project and would like to omit a hanging fixture. Will ceiling lights only provide good playing light. Room has 10’ceiling. Thanks

Last edited:

Cadillac J

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This isn't exactly what you are talking about, but my basement came with drop ceiling and florescent light panels. Unfortunately the light panel positions were setup to cover the most basement area and are not for the table, as you can see the light panels are currently located closer to each end rail. However, if I could rearrange the panels easily, I could put 2-3 of these panels over the table and then I wouldn't need any specific pool lights hanging down, imo.

veautw.jpg

I purchased a typical 3- regular bulb fixture with three 15" shades, but haven't been able to install as I have no idea what the wiring situation is up there (the mounting shouldn't be an issue I don't think?)...so not sure if I need an electrician or not to help me?

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm using just the overhead lights in my living room but I do have a sliding door and window that helps. I keep the blinds closed at all times though when playing pool.

This is at night with the living room lights on and probably the kitchen light to the left of the camera. The white walls help.

And that was my old felt, I now have Tournament Blue 860 and it brightened it up.

Attachments

• IMG_2550.JPG
    IMG_2550.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 386

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This isn't exactly what you are talking about, but my basement came with drop ceiling and florescent light panels. Unfortunately the light panel positions were setup to cover the most basement area and are not for the table, as you can see the light panels are currently located closer to each end rail. However, if I could rearrange the panels easily, I could put 2-3 of these panels over the table and then I wouldn't need any specific pool lights hanging down, imo.

veautw.jpg

I purchased a typical 3- regular bulb fixture with three 15" shades, but haven't been able to install as I have no idea what the wiring situation is up there (the mounting shouldn't be an issue I don't think?)...so not sure if I need an electrician or not to help me?

Swap them out to LED lights and ADD 1 above the table. Going to LED should allow you to add a new light with no worries about overloading the circuit.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
If you have a way of measuring the light intensity at the table you can compare it to World Pool-Billiard Association specs:

World Pool-Billiard Association
Equipment Specifications

15. LIGHTS
The bed and rails of the table must receive at least 520 lux (48 footcandles) of light at every point. A screen or reflector configuration is advised so that the center of the table does not receive noticeably more lighting than the rails and the corners of the table. If the light fixture above the table may be moved aside (referee), the minimum height of the
fixture should be no lower than 40 inches [1.016 m] above the bed of the table. If the light fixture above the table is non-movable, the fixture should be no lower than 65 inches [1.65 m] above the bed of the table. The intensity of any directed light on the players at the table should not be blinding. Blinding light starts at 5000 lux (465 footcandles) direct view. The rest of the venue (bleachers, etc.) should receive at least 50 lux (5 footcandles) of light.
pj
chgo

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i have a hanging light led
mark gregory made it and i love it
drops from 10 feet ceiling

makes the room look good

in fact it looked good while i was between tables

my wife did not like the gold crown light,but she loves this

contact me if you want a picture

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
i have a hanging light led
mark gregory made it and i love it
drops from 10 feet ceiling

makes the room look good

in fact it looked good while i was between tables

my wife did not like the gold crown light,but she loves this

contact me if you want a picture
I'd be interested to see it - can you post a pic here?

pj
chgo

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Swap them out to LED lights and ADD 1 above the table. Going to LED should allow you to add a new light with no worries about overloading the circuit.

Good suggestion. There are some really bright LED tubes. Simple swap. Big difference.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
My table is in a finished basement with a drop ceiling about 8.5 feet. I just have regular recessed can type fixtures around with none directly above the table but I never have any problems so if you set something up with the table in mind it should work just fine

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
My table is in a finished basement with a drop ceiling about 8.5 feet. I just have regular recessed can type fixtures around with none directly above the table but I never have any problems so if you set something up with the table in mind it should work just fine

I have ultra bight LED'S in our kitchen hi-hats.....they are real bright. I'n sure if 6-8 were evenly spaced out above the table it would work out real good.

fjk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I agree. I have the exact same thing. When I purchased my Gold Crown, I was kind of anxious to have a light put in. But then the more I played, the more I realized the lighting is just fine. I have no problem seeing the balls and I have enough lights, at enough angles, that I don't even have shadows.

StrokeofLuck

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a recessed bank of 4' tubes vertically over my table in my old place from a drop panel ceiling and it was the best lit home table I've ever played on. Unfortunately my current room doesn't allow for that.

lakeman77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have two LED panels, each 1' x 4' ft, hung end to end off the rafters over my table. Lots of good light, would never go back to old style lights. Had an old Brunswick light. Have a 9 ft table in the basement. Got the LED panels at Home Depot.