Old
  (#31)
JC
Needs Moderation

JC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

06-28-2019, 07:06 AM

Rick should have spent more time posting mostly naked women on NPR and less time over here and he would have been fine.

But it turns out he didn't know how to do either.

JC

JC

It's not what you don't know that get's you in trouble
It's what you know that just ain't so

Old
  (#32)
sfleinen
14.1 & One Pocket Addict
sfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

06-28-2019, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan White View Post
Like I said in the post above, my purpose was to inform you of my point of view on the subject directly, rather than you hearing what a horrible person I must be from what I consider nut jobs on this particular subject. I was not intentionally trying to rope you into something you don't care to discuss. Maybe I should not have asked you to answer those questions.
That was it, right there. If you put my name in there, you're asking me directly to answer those questions, when I made it clear I'm not interested in digging into the guts of an aiming system that I don't even use.

Quote:
Again, I surmise that you may agree with at least some of my points and therefore might realize that your impression of my involvement is skewed. Maybe that's why you were shocked when you heard those things about me. There's not much else to say.
No, that's not it. It's more the impression I had that you didn't strike me as the red pill type on such an inflammatory topic as aiming systems. You don't find very many straight poolers whiling away their day on forums "discussing" aiming systems. The reasons are clear: straight pool is a game of the subconscious, because you're dealing with patterns and have your conscious mind so engaged on patterns, that you *have* to have your fundamentals (which include aiming) pushed into your subconscious. I find that rotation players and 8-ballers by and large make up the majority of the aiming system enthusiasts. This is obviously due to the periodic "rest" their conscious minds get between racks, because the rack is over, the scoring bead has been slid over, and they are ready to break the next rack a-new. These "consecutive self-standing games" give their minds a natural reset and rest period. That is not the case with 14.1, as it is one continuous game.

That's why I say I was surprised to hear your name in amongst the handful of "the controversials," because I thought as a straight pooler you weren't of the "conscious mind enabled at all times" type to get mired in aiming systems.

Quote:
Not sure what the name thing is but I don't hate anybody and I rarely hold a grudge. I'd be perfectly happy hanging out with Stan as it has never been a personal thing for me (until it got personal a few times). I'm actually online friends with a number of people who pretty much hate each other, lol.
So am I. If you looked at my friend list on social media, you'd find people from all walks of life, all biases / persuasions, all political biases (and some hard-line extremists from both sides of the aisle), etc. And that's by design. I don't believe in "echo chambers." Some of my centrist beliefs get me in trouble from both sides of the aisle, due to the extremist nature of people these days -- "you are either one of us, or one of 'them'."

The problem is perception though. I'm constantly checking myself at the door. I think you may have an issue with this, because it's not just the people that you think are "CTE extremists" who put your name on that list, but also some pretty moderate people who lurk but don't post in this subforum. When I see folks like that mention your name, I perk up.

Quote:
I think I nearly met you at an SBE years ago. I had just met Steve K and his wife at the straight pool table and hung out there for awhile. I left to go home and on my way out a guy I think was you passed me. I was going to introduce myself but you were moving kind of fast and I was headed out anyway.
If I recall, I was helping out at the 14.1 Challenge booth (scoring, etc.) and also running errands while not actually scoring at a table. I was also competing in the SBE events (amateur open, one pocket), so I could've been running to my next match, or maybe to go get something (food, drink) for someone in the booth. I'm not sure. In any case, I'm always up for meeting new people, especially names that I might be familiar with online.

Quote:
I agree 100% about playing more pool, which is what i have been doing the last couple of months. I don't post much here now except the last few days. Believe me, aiming is the least of my issues. I am just interested in the subject and the answers. If you are not, then that is your choice not to care.
That may be the case now, but it wasn't the case some time ago when you were extremely active in going back and forth with aiming system advocates, almost ENGLISH-like. To be fair, I don't hear your name much anymore, and this may be the "era" you think your name represents. The problem is that people have long memories when it comes to stuff like that. You can't just push behavior like that under the rug just because you don't do it anymore.

Quote:
I'm a lawn nut but have been learning more about trees. I had 10 evergreens put in the yard 5 years ago. I also managed to grow a giant sequoia here in NJ. Two of them. They made it to about 2' tall before succumbing. Oh well, I tried.
Along with the usual tree surgery work I do (complete takedowns and removals, chipping and stump-grinding, pruning / beautifying, etc.), there's also the conservation work, i.e. combating the pests like the Emerald Ash Borer beetle that is destroying North America's ash trees -- injecting trees with pesticides, etc. It's a labor of love, and keeps me fit as I near my mid-50s (especially climbing -- that is a young man's job, but I've managed not to let go of it).

If you can, give it another shot at growing the giant sequoia. I've heard success out in NJ from other folks, so it's not a climate issue.

-Sean

"The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom." -Isaac Asimov

"They haven't got brains, any of them, only grey fluff that's blown into their heads by mistake, and they don't think." -Eeyore, The House at Pooh Corner

Old
  (#33)
Dan White
Banned
Dan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond repute

06-28-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfleinen View Post
No, that's not it. It's more the impression I had that you didn't strike me as the red pill type on such an inflammatory topic as aiming systems. You don't find very many straight poolers whiling away their day on forums "discussing" aiming systems. The reasons are clear: straight pool is a game of the subconscious, because you're dealing with patterns and have your conscious mind so engaged on patterns, that you *have* to have your fundamentals (which include aiming) pushed into your subconscious. I find that rotation players and 8-ballers by and large make up the majority of the aiming system enthusiasts.
Kind of an interesting thought. That doesn't mean that I cannot find the controversy an interesting topic.

Quote:
That's why I say I was surprised to hear your name in amongst the handful of "the controversials," because I thought as a straight pooler you weren't of the "conscious mind enabled at all times" type to get mired in aiming systems.
Got it.

Quote:
The problem is perception though. I'm constantly checking myself at the door. I think you may have an issue with this, because it's not just the people that you think are "CTE extremists" who put your name on that list, but also some pretty moderate people who lurk but don't post in this subforum. When I see folks like that mention your name, I perk up.
I try to stick to the facts. Like someone else said, if people want to believe that 4+4=9 then I can only try to persuade them otherwise in so many ways. After awhile you kind of just have to shrug your shoulders and give up, which is what I did for the most part. Having a strong opinion does not necessarily make someone a partisan and being more neutral does not make someone right. I know that 4+4=8 but if others get by thinking otherwise then fine.

The other issue I spend time on is global warming/climate change. I've been studying it since 1998. I frequently challenge my own thoughts on the matter as it is a complex subject. I often find that the "other side" does not do that.

Quote:
That may be the case now, but it wasn't the case some time ago when you were extremely active in going back and forth with aiming system advocates, almost ENGLISH-like. To be fair, I don't hear your name much anymore, and this may be the "era" you think your name represents. The problem is that people have long memories when it comes to stuff like that. You can't just push behavior like that under the rug just because you don't do it anymore.
I can't help how people characterize my position. The truth is in reading the posts and seeing everything in full context. I took a lot of sh!t in those exchanges and I never started the insults. I tried to ignore them but occasionally fired back. It's old news and not worth dissecting other than to say there are always two sides to a story.

Quote:
If you can, give it another shot at growing the giant sequoia. I've heard success out in NJ from other folks, so it's not a climate issue.
I believe the sequoias that survive around here are of the Hazel Smith variety or cultivar (whatever the term is) and these were just seeds I had from a trip to California about 40 years prior! I think botrytis fungi does them in.

Old
  (#34)
ChicagoRJ
EEEEEXCELLENT ;)
ChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond repute

06-28-2019, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC View Post
Rick should have spent more time posting mostly naked women on NPR and less time over here and he would have been fine.

JC
Yep. good times, good times. He always founds nice pics to post

RUSSIAN Magic Chalk - "The Best Chalk of the World"

TZAR Tips now available.

"I have been playing pool for 60 years and started using Kamui about four years ago. I tried Magic Chalk several months ago and will use it from now on" - jrhendy - Noted Player and Gambler

Baltic BLUE & Chernobyl GREEN

Check us out in "For Sale" section on AZB

ChicagoRJ, the Minister of Truth and Magic Chalk. - WGDave

Old
  (#35)
Tony_in_MD
You want some of this?
Tony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond repute

06-28-2019, 05:11 PM

Can't give you any more green.
You are correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC View Post

JC

Tony Marcino - PBIA Instructor
Member of the SPF family of instructors
Background Verified
443-624-0912

"High quality fundamentals beats all of the high quality concepts and esoteric executions ever created." -- Bert Kinister

Old
  (#36)
duckie
GregH
duckie has a reputation beyond reputeduckie has a reputation beyond reputeduckie has a reputation beyond reputeduckie has a reputation beyond reputeduckie has a reputation beyond reputeduckie has a reputation beyond reputeduckie has a reputation beyond reputeduckie has a reputation beyond reputeduckie has a reputation beyond reputeduckie has a reputation beyond reputeduckie has a reputation beyond repute

08-02-2019, 06:25 AM

Nice and quiet.......happy now?

Old
  (#37)
BC21
Poolology

BC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond repute

08-02-2019, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckie View Post
Nice and quiet.......happy now?

Lol. Silence is better than bullshit.

POOLOLOGY
YouTube
Brian Crist

Old
  (#38)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

08-02-2019, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC21 View Post
Lol. Silence is better than bullshit.
The only reason an "aiming forum" was created was to quarantine all the CTE cult nonsense. It's a small topic without that.

pj
chgo

Page 3 of 3 123

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: