Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Opinions on Rail rebuilders a can of worms?

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Opinions on Rail rebuilders a can of worms?
Old
  (#1)
Ron Padilla
AzB Silver Member
Ron Padilla has a reputation beyond reputeRon Padilla has a reputation beyond reputeRon Padilla has a reputation beyond reputeRon Padilla has a reputation beyond reputeRon Padilla has a reputation beyond reputeRon Padilla has a reputation beyond reputeRon Padilla has a reputation beyond reputeRon Padilla has a reputation beyond reputeRon Padilla has a reputation beyond reputeRon Padilla has a reputation beyond reputeRon Padilla has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Opinions on Rail rebuilders a can of worms? - 08-15-2019, 03:02 PM

I am sure there are like most other things many opinions both good and bad! But would like to hear from some of you that have had it done, the Cost, Time involved, and the satisfaction of the work and I hope no one gets butt hurt ! I am still in the process of putting this GC 1 together and it has the original rubber and not sure it is bad, it did come out of a working pool hall the was closing in PA in the last couple of months! I have read where the Monarch rubber has and can live and last a long time but the wood is showing that it has been recovered a lot over time.

Thanks in advance

Old
  (#2)
pt109
WO double hemlock

pt109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond repute

08-15-2019, 03:14 PM

I would give that rubber a chance.....it can go a bit dead from not being hit....
...but hitting those rails can bring them back to life.
The main action tables in a lot of old rooms would have the best set of rails...
..due to frequent use.

...a rubber mallet from a body shop can speed up the process...just keep hitting the rails...
...no harder than a ball would hit them.

We got four GCIs in our room with original rubber...might be a half length to a full length
slower...but they still play well.

Lionize your game.
http://www.alexpagulayan.com/

MAGIC CHALK call Marco Polo 647-287-8131

If pool players had to have knowledge of geometry and physics before talking about geometry and physics, all of the aiming threads would disappear.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#3)
Ron Padilla
AzB Silver Member
Ron Padilla has a reputation beyond reputeRon Padilla has a reputation beyond reputeRon Padilla has a reputation beyond reputeRon Padilla has a reputation beyond reputeRon Padilla has a reputation beyond reputeRon Padilla has a reputation beyond reputeRon Padilla has a reputation beyond reputeRon Padilla has a reputation beyond reputeRon Padilla has a reputation beyond reputeRon Padilla has a reputation beyond reputeRon Padilla has a reputation beyond repute

08-15-2019, 03:53 PM

I am still going to need something done on the wood though unless a whole bunch of wood putty would work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old
  (#4)
TATE
AzB Gold Mensch
TATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

08-15-2019, 05:14 PM

No regrets here on new rails/cushions. Yes, it costs money but you get exactly the table you want for years of playing pleasure. Mine were custom and were Artemis both times.

Visit my historic cues site:
www.palmercollector.com

Last edited by TATE; 08-15-2019 at 05:17 PM.

Old
  (#5)
pt109
WO double hemlock

pt109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond repute

08-15-2019, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATE View Post
No regrets here on new rails/cushions. Yes, it costs money but you get exactly the table you want for years of playing pleasure. Mine were custom and were Artemis both times.
The trouble with re-rubbering a GCI is that the rubber isnít available any more...
...Brunswick SuperSpeed doesnít play quite right on it...the fitting is quite costly...
...to have rubber that still doesnít play as well.

Lionize your game.

If pool players had to have knowledge of geometry and physics before talking about geometry and physics, all of the aiming threads would disappear.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#6)
Ron Padilla
AzB Silver Member

08-15-2019, 06:46 PM

Is there any input on repairing what is there as I do agree about the original rubber, all though I cannot recall what I have had on some of the real old balk collender tables I have had but most likely the same as the GC1 and would like to keep it

Old
  (#7)
realkingcobra
AzB Silver Member
realkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 5785

08-16-2019, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Padilla View Post
Is there any input on repairing what is there as I do agree about the original rubber, all though I cannot recall what I have had on some of the real old balk collender tables I have had but most likely the same as the GC1 and would like to keep it

I'm still trying to figure out how a person can rebuild the split end grain of the rails without having to remove the cushions to do so.

Old
  (#8)
realkingcobra
AzB Silver Member
realkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 5785

08-16-2019, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt109 View Post
I would give that rubber a chance.....it can go a bit dead from not being hit....
...but hitting those rails can bring them back to life.
The main action tables in a lot of old rooms would have the best set of rails...
..due to frequent use.

...a rubber mallet from a body shop can speed up the process...just keep hitting the rails...
...no harder than a ball would hit them.

We got four GCIs in our room with original rubber...might be a half length to a full length
slower...but they still play well.
So the 4 GC1s still have the huge corner pockets as well as the split ends of the rails causing the cupping effect when pocketing balls?

Old
  (#9)
pt109
WO double hemlock

08-16-2019, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realkingcobra View Post
So the 4 GC1s still have the huge corner pockets as well as the split ends of the rails causing the cupping effect when pocketing balls?
They will spit out balls with speed down the rails.
...gotta lot of experience with that for years...played on a lot with bad shims also.
Our Diamond 9-footers play much better....4,75 pockets.

Lionize your game.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#10)
JoeyInCali
AzB Silver Member

JoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4400

08-16-2019, 10:25 AM

Good luck with that.
Better make sure the mech who does them is reputable .
If someone says he'll do it for $300, run.

Old
  (#11)
FeelDaShot
AzB Silver Member
FeelDaShot has a reputation beyond reputeFeelDaShot has a reputation beyond reputeFeelDaShot has a reputation beyond reputeFeelDaShot has a reputation beyond reputeFeelDaShot has a reputation beyond reputeFeelDaShot has a reputation beyond reputeFeelDaShot has a reputation beyond reputeFeelDaShot has a reputation beyond reputeFeelDaShot has a reputation beyond reputeFeelDaShot has a reputation beyond reputeFeelDaShot has a reputation beyond repute

08-16-2019, 12:48 PM

FYI: I don't think Jerimy Chambers is doing rail work anymore. I hired him about 2 years ago to build completely new rails from scratch. He never did it and I eventually got sick of reminding him. I assume he is busy with other stuff. He seemed like a nice guy otherwise and his rail work looked very impressive. Hopefully he gets back into it sometime.

Old
  (#12)
J. Chambers
AzB Bronze Member
J. Chambers has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Chambers has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Chambers has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Chambers has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Chambers has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Chambers has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Chambers has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Chambers has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Chambers has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Chambers has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Chambers has a reputation beyond repute

08-16-2019, 03:37 PM

My apologies to you and all else who I didn't get back to about new rails. I rarely get on az anymore so private messages never got read. I unfortunately lost my binder with a list of interested parties. please feel free to email me @ jerimychambers@yahoo.com I am still making rails and am running about 2-3 months out for delivery. I purchased some cnc machines (tooling them up now) to help me to get them produced a little faster. I am now also producing new aluminum trim for the gc 1,2,3 and 4 rails. I will try to get some update pics for anyone with interest. (FeelDaShot) please reach out to me again I will try to accommodate you for the frustration.

Old
  (#13)
Lawnboy77
AzB Silver Member
Lawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond repute

08-16-2019, 05:33 PM

I have no regrets having rails reworked, or in my case, new rails from Mark Gregory. Like RKC and the others have said, there is a lot more to good rails than a decent rebound. I'm just talking from personal experience with my Anniversary, but more than likely the OPs pocket angles, down angles are all wrong, not to mention the shelves are probably not in specs. In my case the figure 8 plate inserts required rework, the pocket casting mounting had the same issues, the cushion bevel was wrong for todays K-55 profile, and last but not least, the staple areas were toast. Some of that is probably due to years of commercial use, others maybe factory flaws. I don't know why anyone would want to correct all these issues, and then step backwards and put original 60 year old rubber back on the bevels? Makes no sense to me, even if the rubber were that much better back in those days, it's still 60 years old and there is no magic rubber out there with an effective service, or shelf life of 60 years.

There is nothing worse than playing on a table that rejects balls that were perfectly hit, and on the other side of the coin, accepts balls that it shouldn't. I don't mind playing on tight tables and missing shots, I just want equipment that meets, or exceeds BCA standards, and most importantly plays fair. Playing on a table that has crappy pockets is like playing basketball with an oversized, odd-shaped hoop, mounted to a flimsy backboard.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: