Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page APA screwed our very own sleinen out of a national championship
Page 2 of 33 12 3412 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
RichSchultz
AzB Silver Member
RichSchultz has a reputation beyond reputeRichSchultz has a reputation beyond reputeRichSchultz has a reputation beyond reputeRichSchultz has a reputation beyond reputeRichSchultz has a reputation beyond reputeRichSchultz has a reputation beyond reputeRichSchultz has a reputation beyond reputeRichSchultz has a reputation beyond reputeRichSchultz has a reputation beyond reputeRichSchultz has a reputation beyond reputeRichSchultz has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

08-18-2019, 05:58 PM

APA doesn’t have to:
Attached Images

Old
  (#17)
Seth C.
AzB Silver Member
Seth C. has a reputation beyond reputeSeth C. has a reputation beyond reputeSeth C. has a reputation beyond reputeSeth C. has a reputation beyond reputeSeth C. has a reputation beyond reputeSeth C. has a reputation beyond reputeSeth C. has a reputation beyond reputeSeth C. has a reputation beyond reputeSeth C. has a reputation beyond reputeSeth C. has a reputation beyond reputeSeth C. has a reputation beyond repute

08-18-2019, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Jewett View Post
I'd like to know the rule as well. And whether the players know about it.

As for the goat/cliff/root canal thing, if anyone goes for that please, please get a video. You'll get a billion views. Oh, and make sure you have 593 independent witnesses sign the affidavit for Balls' sake.
Excellent.

Old
  (#18)
Seth C.
AzB Silver Member
Seth C. has a reputation beyond reputeSeth C. has a reputation beyond reputeSeth C. has a reputation beyond reputeSeth C. has a reputation beyond reputeSeth C. has a reputation beyond reputeSeth C. has a reputation beyond reputeSeth C. has a reputation beyond reputeSeth C. has a reputation beyond reputeSeth C. has a reputation beyond reputeSeth C. has a reputation beyond reputeSeth C. has a reputation beyond repute

08-18-2019, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadog View Post
I guess I shouldn't be drinking coffee at 8pm because Bob just caused me to spit it out all over my tablet
Also excellent!

Old
  (#19)
Eric.
Club a member
Eric. has a reputation beyond reputeEric. has a reputation beyond reputeEric. has a reputation beyond reputeEric. has a reputation beyond reputeEric. has a reputation beyond reputeEric. has a reputation beyond reputeEric. has a reputation beyond reputeEric. has a reputation beyond reputeEric. has a reputation beyond reputeEric. has a reputation beyond reputeEric. has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1225

08-18-2019, 06:12 PM

From memory, the APA only disqualifies a team after 2 players in their roster get raised above the starting handicap level.

During the tournament, if someone(s) is playing " too good" after a match, they are placed on watch for their next match. If they are determined to play "too good" again, then they get raised to the next level. If a second player gets raised, then the team is DQ'd.

So, that's the process. Is that what happened to Sean's team?

Eric

Old
  (#20)
SBC
AzB Silver Member
SBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond repute

08-18-2019, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortBusRuss View Post
Are you calling sleinen a liar? He's pretty much the intellectual I interact most with on social media, and he told me that's the deal. I trust him more than I trust some troll on AZBilliards. People like you are why he doesn't post here any more. And the APA happened to overlook another player on one of the top 4 teams who showed up for (and played on) the stream drunk off their gourd....

Stop being combative. The POINT is... This team got booted out of the tournament.. No recourse. No prize money for the place they had achieved. The APA apparently doesn't have any concept of "rising to the occasion", so, what? Is every match supposed to be 100% random? Then why are they f**king playing pool for a title, then? Why not just charge every team their entry fee and just play rock, paper, scissors for the title? Or maybe flip coins?

I guess it is completely out of the realm of possibility that the team might have earned their spot, and then put in a concerted practice regimen to actually make a good attempt at WINNING. Any non-pro/semipro player can move their skill level up 50 Fargo points or more with a good few weeks of practice.
It's a Valley barbox. Any AA player can break and run 10 racks. Ridiculous to ban anybody for good play.

There are maybe 10 guys who make a living off pool anymore. So calling every decent player a pro is a misnomer.

APA is killing pool. All they want is the Benjamin's. Paying back maybe 30% of the take, whoever plays it doesnt deserve better.

Old
  (#21)
Seth C.
AzB Silver Member

08-18-2019, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichSchultz View Post
APA doesn’t have to:
Based on the cited APA rule, it appears to be true that APA does not have to justify its decision.

But as for the “You and I both know that isn’t the truth” comment (which was posted in response to a post reading “What more is there to say? They ‘played too good’ by some arbitrary APA standards, and the APA powers-that-be booted them out of the tournament”), it isn’t holding up too well. The APA’s own rule says that its determinations regarding true playing ability as compared to participating skill level are “necessarily subjective” and can be made in its absolute discretion (i.e., can be arbitrary), and it says that if it decides there is a difference between true playing ability and participating skill level, it can disqualify a player (i.e., boot them out). Sure seems like truth to me.

Old
  (#22)
SBC
AzB Silver Member
SBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond repute

08-18-2019, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth C. View Post
Based on the cited APA rule, it appears to be true that APA does not have to justify its decision.

But as for the “You and I both know that isn’t the truth” comment (which was posted in response to a post reading “What more is there to say? They ‘played too good’ by some arbitrary APA standards, and the APA powers-that-be booted them out of the tournament”), it isn’t holding up too well. The APA’s own rule says that its determinations regarding true playing ability as compared to participating skill level are “necessarily subjective” and can be made in its absolute discretion (i.e., can be arbitrary), and it says that if it decides there is a difference between true playing ability and participating skill level, it can disqualify a player (i.e., boot them out). Sure seems like truth to me.
It's a joke. They despise real players. Just want more fish. Death of pool.

Old
  (#23)
JC
Needs Moderation

JC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond repute

08-18-2019, 06:28 PM

This outfit can't even understand the decimal system. Why would anything else they do boggle one's sense of fairness?

On a scale of one to seven how would you rate the experience?

JC

It's not what you don't know that get's you in trouble
It's what you know that just ain't so

Old
  (#24)
bubbaandthem
AzB Silver Member
bubbaandthem has a reputation beyond reputebubbaandthem has a reputation beyond reputebubbaandthem has a reputation beyond reputebubbaandthem has a reputation beyond reputebubbaandthem has a reputation beyond reputebubbaandthem has a reputation beyond reputebubbaandthem has a reputation beyond reputebubbaandthem has a reputation beyond reputebubbaandthem has a reputation beyond reputebubbaandthem has a reputation beyond reputebubbaandthem has a reputation beyond repute

08-18-2019, 06:33 PM

The final shot of the championship match of 8 ball team competition 2019. APA says there must have been something on the ball. What a crock

https://www.facebook.com/butch.thras...7356954773550/

Last edited by bubbaandthem; 08-18-2019 at 06:46 PM.

Old
  (#25)
newcuer
AzB Silver Member
newcuer has a reputation beyond reputenewcuer has a reputation beyond reputenewcuer has a reputation beyond reputenewcuer has a reputation beyond reputenewcuer has a reputation beyond reputenewcuer has a reputation beyond reputenewcuer has a reputation beyond reputenewcuer has a reputation beyond reputenewcuer has a reputation beyond reputenewcuer has a reputation beyond reputenewcuer has a reputation beyond repute

08-18-2019, 06:39 PM

The APA is sports entertainment...much like the WWE is sports entertainment.

Nothing is really won.

It's not true sports competition.

Old
  (#26)
Bob Jewett
Northern California

Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

08-18-2019, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric. View Post
From memory, the APA only disqualifies a team after 2 players in their roster get raised above the starting handicap level.

During the tournament, if someone(s) is playing " too good" after a match, they are placed on watch for their next match. If they are determined to play "too good" again, then they get raised to the next level. If a second player gets raised, then the team is DQ'd....
Is the team notified of their "placed on watch" status?

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#27)
ShortBusRuss
Short Bus Russ - C Player
ShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond repute

08-18-2019, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Doubtful. It would defeat the purpose of trying to catch sandbaggers.

Old
  (#28)
Eric.
Club a member
Eric. has a reputation beyond reputeEric. has a reputation beyond reputeEric. has a reputation beyond reputeEric. has a reputation beyond reputeEric. has a reputation beyond reputeEric. has a reputation beyond reputeEric. has a reputation beyond reputeEric. has a reputation beyond reputeEric. has a reputation beyond reputeEric. has a reputation beyond reputeEric. has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1225

08-18-2019, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Yes. A notation goes on the scoresheet for the next match.

Eric

Old
  (#29)
Bob Jewett
Northern California

Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

08-18-2019, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbaandthem View Post
The final shot of the championship match of APA 2019. APA says there must have been something on the ball. What a crock

https://www.facebook.com/butch.thras...7356954773550/
They're not playing one pocket?

But there could have been something wrong with the 8 ball. I have a 3 ball that can do that same shot. Maybe it wasn't the cheap table.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#30)
sjm
Sweating the 2017 Mosconi
sjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 525

08-18-2019, 06:49 PM

Sad to hear. I've had the pleasure of meeting Sean and thought him to be a quality guy. Russ has always been a standup guy around me, too, so it's tough not to take his post seriously.

I have never played in a BCA or APA league and, consequently, have little insight into this subject.

Page 2 of 33 12 3412 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: