Accelerating Stroke

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This isn't quite an Easter Egg maybe, but I stumbled across something that has helped me tremendously in the last month. This is a way to ensure that my stroke is accelerating through the cue ball even on softer shots, and not letting up or decelerating.

I have struggled with this in the past. A typical shot that might give me trouble would be shooting a ball down the rail where I need to use low outside to bring the cue ball back off the rail with a sliding ball, but where I need to leave the cue ball as close to the rail as possible. In other words, I need to choose a speed where I hit as softly as I can while still ensuring I'm sliding all the way to the object ball. It was very easy for me to fear over-hitting this shot and instead letting up on my stroke. The results are disastrous, with the cue ball losing it's back-spin and starting to roll just before contact, and worse with the cue ball twisting off course and over-cutting the object ball and twisting it away from the side rail. This tended to happen when I was under pressure, my stroke would let up trying to avoid shooting too firm.

Another issue I had was I couldn't generate maximum power with accuracy the way the top players can. I watched Shaw land on a ball where I thought he was 'straight in', only to see him whack the ball in the hole with such speed the cue ball traveled across the table, and still enough accuracy to make the shot coming down a rail on a tight pocket. I simply couldn't do that.

What has been working for me is visualizing the shot being hit at soft speed, and then adding speed to my swing to reach the correct speed. This has helped both shots.

In shot one, the 'softest possible stun shot', I actually picture shooting the ball too softly and having the cue ball twist off line first, then I picture what I want to have happen and add to my swing. This has made the shot easier for two reasons. One, I am focused on ADDING speed during my swing instead of me thinking about reducing speed. Second, it is simply easier for me to visualize shooting balls at softer speeds. I've never been a power player so I get to picture the ball at a soft speed and then just trust my stroke will give it the power it needs.

When I'm flat on a ball and need to pound the cue ball a distance I picture myself shooting the ball with a soft stun shot, then I just make sure I'm accelerating the cue stick to get to the correct speed. I learned this from Jerry Brieseth who pointed out the hitch in SVB's game. SVB has a hitch because he makes a point not to try to go from 0 to 60 in no time flat. Instead he starts his swing in slow motion, then begins to accelerate after that slight slow start. This way he doesn't jerk or spasm trying to launch his arm forward too fast. Picturing shooting a hard shot more slowly has helped me stay smooth and calm and have more success visualizing the shot, then I trust that if I add speed and accelerate my cue I will get there. I don't have to do it immediately. I trust my stroke can get the job done. Immediately I started to see a huge increase in accuracy and power.

I'm sorry if I'm not explaining this the best, but this has helped both my soft shots and firm shots, my speed control, and my visualization. It all has to do with rehearsing in my mind softly and then focus solely on adding speed to my swing to attain the correct speed. I feel so solid, smooth, crisp, powerful, and accurate right now, even on shots that would've been really tough for me before. And I can't remember the last time I fanned a ball because I let up on my stroke.

Feel free to share your feedback, your own take on this, or anything else on your mind. Thanks team AZ!

wigglybridge

14.1 straight pool!
Silver Member
wow, does All of this sound familiar -- but beautifully wrapped up in a gift box!

btw, Ronnie O has a slightly different hitch in the back of his stroke, which has exactly the same function as Shane's.

thank you, Tinman.

Last edited:

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
Just remember, Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man that he didn't already have.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
What has been working for me is visualizing the shot being hit at soft speed, and then adding speed to my swing to reach the correct speed.
Makes sense to me (not always a good sign).

Deceleration bad. Acceleration good.

pj
chgo

DTL

SP 219
Silver Member
SVB's "hitch"

To me his 'hitch" is when he gets to the end of his backswing and then shifts his elbow to the right. He does this on 99% of his shots.

He sets up with his upper arm/elbow slightly tucked in toward his trunk....sort of behind him. But just before the beginning of his forward stroke he shifts his upper arm/elbow unit to the right.....the "hitch". It's like he gets to the back, sets it in the shot-line-slot (slightly to the right) and then pulls the trigger. Not sure if this is something he does consciously or just the way his subconscious fixed a poor setup early on for his body type. Works damn good!

A lot of the Philippine players set up with their elbows tucked in like this but stay that way throughout their stroke.....shorter players do this more than taller players.

Here's a short video. You can go to just about any video of him playing and see better angles that show this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naiMHnSQOLI

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
What I have found to work for me personally is to treat my stroke as if the final action is the compression of a spring which gets "locked" for a short time at the back of the stroke, with the forward stroke being the release of the spring...

A spring, when released from this compression, ONLY goes forward, and will not do the "snatch-back" common to those who haven't worked enough on their stroke.

I am 100% a proponent of the "piston" stroke, straight back, and straight forward, and practice a lot of stroking into a bottle. I try to do so until I groove my muscle memory enough to play shots with my eyes closed. I envision the "completion point" of my stroke, which is a mental melding of my desire for an accelerating stroke, with my personal experience on tip/hand position to achieve that acceleration, but still achieve the desired position.

I used to have a very bad problem of over-emphasizing the lower half of the cue ball in an effort to "control" my position with draw/skid, and found that it required me to VERY accurately judge my stroke timing, and I tended to have very bad deceleration issues.

Once I stopped over using backspin and emphasized an accelerating piston stroke (a la Kim Davenport), it became much easier to control the cue ball with a confident stroke. So, in the end, tip/hand position also play an important part in whether you allow yourself to stroke confidently. If you choose a tip position that is too low, or you have your hand too far back, your brain will subconsciously adjust the acceleration of your stroke in order to achieve the desired position. If the elements of tip/hand position, and stroke speed are not optimal, this can lead to anxiety problems on the shot, because your mind knows it is being asked to do too much.

shortbusruss

LowRight

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just tried this out on my home table and it seems to work for me. I like it. Thanks for sharing!

Derek7646

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My two cents on this particular shot and soft strokes;

1: Stroking a shot this softly with bottom outside is difficult to finesse it just the right speed while accurately making the ball. Depending on the angle, (i would have to see the exact shot), i may choose to go up and down the short rail with a little power, rather than try to hold a cue ball somewhere you aren't going to be able to do easily.

2: If your only option is to soft stroke it, take a lesson from golf and as you said, accelerate through the shot but with a shorter back stroke, long and and accelerating follow through. Soft stroked shots can be difficult because we tend to poke at them, rather than stroke them. With a full back stroke, the cue naturally wants to go forward at a faster rate than we want for this soft shot so our body compensates by slowing down the cue mid stroke as you said in your post, which is disastrous.

JohnnyP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But the fool on the hill
Sees the sun going down
And the eyes in his head
See the world spinning round