Chalks.

Diamond69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I was playing while young, it was Triangle for me. When I got back into the game it's Masters blue. Probably changed just because of convenience of getting.

Interestingly, I rarely go through tips. I have a tip tapper tool, but the only time I use it is after a miscue that I get a shiny spot on the tip. I have friends that seem to go through 4-5 tips a year. They use a ship taper every time before a tournament or whatever.

I could use the same tip for years because I keep it chalked well, hardly ever miscue, and it's only touched from someone else maybe once a year when I get my shaft conditioned. He does the tip as part of his process.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
41-sv3QXRpL._SY300_.jpg

I use the green too, but I also have blue. The green always seems to be a little softer and seems to stick better, I have no idea why.

Bob 14:1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Masters blue is I believe the best value. I do, however, spend the extra for Blue Diamond since for me it has somewhat less cast off. The table stays quite clean for many more racks.

Performance wise, I think it's a draw. :shrug:

TSW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I never thought I would pay more than Master's price for chalk... until I tried Blue Diamond. Now I keep a cube of Blue Diamond in my case, but Master's blue is perfectly passable as an alternative.

At home I have a handful of boxes of Blue Diamond and a 12-pack of Master's blue as a backup. The Master's 12-pack was cheaper than the Blue Diamond 2-packs.

As for the other chalks, I don't like Predator. Just doesn't feel as good as either Master's or Blue Diamond. Kamui is great but I can't justify the price tag.

HueblerHustler7

AndrewActionG
Silver Member
I've used a lot of chalk Including both .98 and 1.21 Kamui. Silver cup is terrible IMHO, Triangle is ok but hard and gritty kind of like Predator and Blue diamond (not a fan). Out of those three I prefer Triangle. But my favorite is Masters Blue that is old and dried out, I've also heard that Masters is great if baked in the oven.... Not kidding.

Other chalks on the list to try that I hear have no substitutes are Pre flag Masters and Cosmo. Cosmo chalk is hard to find because they are no longer in business and out of Japan. Pre Flag Masters is hard to find because its old, I also hear its especially good in Tan or green for what ever reason.

-Drew

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The best value and performance in chalk bar none is Blue Diamond.......use the chalk properly and one piece should last you 6-7 months......."Don't drill your chalk, don't twist your chalk, it should wear pretty evenly keeping the same original indentation."

So many players just abuse chalk and it gets all over the table because of this leaving flakes on the cloth and chalk marks on the cue ball. Object ball throw is definitely affected by cue ball chalk marks and even table roll and it's unnecessary. Simply lightly brush you chalk across you cue tip rotating the tip to ensure there's an even application of chalk. No heavy chalk deposits happen on the cue tip and the cue ball rolls better because of this. It's so much cleaner and so simple to do.

Blue Diamond.....best value.

Last edited:

ShanksMcShankly

Grid Lock
Silver Member
IMHO... Magic Chalk is hands down the best chalk for the money. I have tried pretty much all the chalks worth trying and up until the Predator chalk came out, Magic was the best way to go. I do like this Predator chalk but I do believe that the Magic Chalk is better. I like that the Predator chalk is easy to get and relatively inexpensive but if you can get your hands on some Magic Chalk then you'll see why it's the "Best Chalk of the World"

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've used a lot of chalk Including both .98 and 1.21 Kamui. Silver cup is terrible IMHO, Triangle is ok but hard and gritty kind of like Predator and Blue diamond (not a fan). Out of those three I prefer Triangle. But my favorite is Masters Blue that is old and dried out, I've also heard that Masters is great if baked in the oven.... Not kidding.

Other chalks on the list to try that I hear have no substitutes are Pre flag Masters and Cosmo. Cosmo chalk is hard to find because they are no longer in business and out of Japan. Pre Flag Masters is hard to find because its old, I also hear its especially good in Tan or green for what ever reason.

-Drew
Definitely a big thumbs up for baking Masters. 30-40 minutes works great for me. I find regular Masters just gets everywhere! It cakes your tip so thick its like having a few layers of make-up on the tip. Pain to brush out of the cloth too. Baking it removes moisture so it becomes almost dust-like; no mess on your hands, shafts, table or cue ball.

Blue Diamond on the other hand leaves the palm of my chalking hand and middle finger covered in chalk. Although it does leave a nice "X" groove after a couple hours of play easier than others, which isn't important but that's how I like my chalk.

Been trying to get my hands on Cosmo chalk for years but have since given up. Shame really, I've heard nothing negative about that chalk.

Predator is very good, but it is messy. Hands, cue ball and table get covered very quick. I'm going to try baking 1 or 2 pieces in the next few days and hopefully it will be as good as baked Masters.

I've tried both Kamui chalks and they were decent. I tried so hard to chalk as often as was recommended for each cube, but old habits die hard and I ended up chalking every shot. I could understand the pricing if a cube would last you 5 years, but for me it wouldn't last a year. I can buy 5 years worth of Masters for the price of 1 Kamui.

Silver Cup... Might as well shoot with an unchalked cue.

Triangle blue is decent, but there are better chalks out there for the same price or maybe a little more. The green/ turquoise, like they use in snooker is garbage on layered tips.

I'm probably missing some brands that I've used but for now I can't think of any more.

"Q" Protectors

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Definitely a big thumbs up for baking Masters. 30-40 minutes works great for me. I find regular Masters just gets everywhere! It cakes your tip so thick its like having a few layers of make-up on the tip. Pain to brush out of the cloth too. Baking it removes moisture so it becomes almost dust-like; no mess on your hands, shafts, table or cue ball.

Blue Diamond on the other hand leaves the palm of my chalking hand and middle finger covered in chalk. Although it does leave a nice "X" groove after a couple hours of play easier than others, which isn't important but that's how I like my chalk.

Been trying to get my hands on Cosmo chalk for years but have since given up. Shame really, I've heard nothing negative about that chalk.

Predator is very good, but it is messy. Hands, cue ball and table get covered very quick. I'm going to try baking 1 or 2 pieces in the next few days and hopefully it will be as good as baked Masters.

I've tried both Kamui chalks and they were decent. I tried so hard to chalk as often as was recommended for each cube, but old habits die hard and I ended up chalking every shot. I could understand the pricing if a cube would last you 5 years, but for me it wouldn't last a year. I can buy 5 years worth of Masters for the price of 1 Kamui.

Silver Cup... Might as well shoot with an unchalked cue.

Triangle blue is decent, but there are better chalks out there for the same price or maybe a little more. The green/ turquoise, like they use in snooker is garbage on layered tips.

I'm probably missing some brands that I've used but for now I can't think of any more.

Baking chalk? What temp for 30-40 minutes. I hate that my chalk gets all over my hands.

muddawg

Chill Out
Silver Member
I use Master blue, triangle blue, and blue diamond. Blue diamond is my favorite, and triangle blue is good too, but most of the time I use Master blue.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

randy maha

Registered
I use Kamui. I use the ?><L out of it. I use it like regular chalk.(often) A cube still lasts over an entire year of 5-6 nites a week ansd league to boot. I've tried to be cheap like so many on here and chalk up once a month or whatever!!! Just throw the $$ out there and try it. I.ve pi_______ away that kinda $$$ on so many other dumb things and this stuff iz da bomb!!IMO!!! PS I like the original not as well. PPS and I keep it in my pocket all the time,,,,, screw the bag.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have ultra skin tips on both my shafts. I was miscuing quite often using masters.
I was given a handful of triangle chalks. I removed the the masters chalk from both tips and have been using nothing but triangle and my miscues have been quit.
I am no longer hesitant to power stroke the cue ball.
My tip installer thinks that ultra skin tips do not like masters chalk. Who knows?

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Baking chalk? What temp for 30-40 minutes. I hate that my chalk gets all over my hands.
You may have to try an experiment with a few cubes before you find one with the consistency you like. For me ill bake a cube for 40 minutes at around 300 degrees Fahrenheit.

On a side note, the paper casing around the chalk will start to come loose when in the oven. A quick blast in the oven for 10 minutes will be enough so you can slide it off once its cooled down, then just put the bare chalk back in for 30 minutes. I tend to just tape the cover to the chalk.

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
Are you not happy with your Predator chalk anymore?

I am currently using predator chalk and honestly I love it.
It sticks onto your tip longer than any other chalks such as Brunswick, Triangle and Masters.
I honestly have not had any miscues ever since I switched to predator chalk.
Good job predator! :):):):)

I'm still a fan of Kamui 0.98 as a base with a layer of Balabushka over top.

FaithHopeLove

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am still satisfied with predator chalks but I am lookig for cheaper alternatives and to stick with it. If at the end of the day I do not have any preference, I'll definitely go back to predator chalks.

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Silver Member
Was using Masters for 20 years until I came across Magic Chalk, prefer to not use anything else now.

danstrokes

Registered
I'm currently using Masters and Blue Diamond. Masters has the best bang for the buck but I believe Blue Diamond to be far superior.

Masters chalk is messy and I can see a cloud of blue dust as I chalk with Masters, not a problem with Blue Diamond. I think Blue Diamond stays on the tip longer.

I also have found that Blue Diamond is very similar to a cube of pre flag Masters that I have.

for $4 a cube it really isn't expensive, Masters is just really cheap. I bought 2 cubes of BD about 6 weeks ago, one cube is just getting past the wrapper and the other cube was stolen off a table about 20 minutes after playing.