Brunswick vs Olhausen

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
You owe some ppl some apologies....in MY PROFESSIONAL opinion!!

we all have opinions. We are going to have to agree to disagree. Did you actually READ the webpage he posted? I dont think you did. Its actually 7 years to the day. May 5th 2012 is the day I started my business. Worked on every brand I could get my hands on in the beginning for a bit over a year and then found the commercial market :) So happy I did.

Trent from Toledo

I am not apologizing to anyone. :)

I will at the least say I got a bit off topic. Contender series are cheap, if a person had extra to spend, they could have "Authentic" Brunswick line and get a decent home table for the money vs a connelly.

p.s.s. you do realize there are 3 hours time difference!! LOL

Last edited:

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the needlessly negative and ignorant comment. No concept of value or price point. Apples and oranges (or do you understand what that means?) Gold Crown is a great table for $thousands more. It's amazing to me that uninformed people are those who most strongly hold their opinions and most freely offer them to those who don't care.

I used to live in Phoenix when Connelly was big time. I’ve played on their tables. When my brother in law was looking at buying a table I told him not to buy Connelly. He didn’t listen. What a piece of shit table. When I told him how badly the table played Connelly came back and mostly fixed the problems so good on them for that. There’s a reason they went out of business. Although my comment was deservedly negative it’s not ignorant. I never mentioned GC. So thanks for your hypocritical response.

FJames

Registered
Every manufacturer makes a "cheap" home table. None are better than the other and are a waste of time and money. Brunswick Contender series tables are exactly like all the other "price point" tables out there: CHEAP. I have worked on Connelly's, Olhausen, Contender and the higher end Brunswick Non commercial Tables. I would never recommend a Connelly, they would be DEAD LAST.

Trent from Toledo
Hi Trent,

I've read the exchanges that went on and don't know why a number of people get all bent out of shape.
You've worked on a number of table brands, and I think you're opinion is owed respect, . . period.
Just wondering, and just focusing on tables for home use ( i.e. not commercial tables ) . . is the Olhausen rattle as big a deal as it's sometimes made out to be, . and if so, has there been any remedial attention to the issue in the Olhausen tables built and sold in the last several years ( since most of the negative comments seem to regarding Olhausens from a number of years ago ? The reason is, that I'm looking for a new 8 ft table and I'd really like to stick to a Made in USA brand, even though I'm from Canada, and Olhausen seems to have a lot going for it, albeit a bit pricey. Thanks Trent.

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh - and yes, many Gold Crowns were produced in standard 8' as well as the oversized 8's in addition the the nines to answer your other question in this thread.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Only the IV and V were available in 8' Pro:

GCI, II, III: 8 home, 9 pro, 10’
GC IV: 8 pro, 9 pro
GC V: 8 pro, 9 pro
GC VI: 8’, 9’

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Only the IV and V were available in 8' Pro:

GCI, II, III: 8 home, 9 pro, 10’
GC IV: 8 pro, 9 pro
GC V: 8 pro, 9 pro
GC VI: 8’, 9’
I found a '78 GC3 brochure that lists the 8ft as having 46x92 surface which is oversize or Pro8. Derrick at Billiard Restoration said all 8ft GC's have that size playfield. Just repeating what i was told.

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I found a '78 GC3 brochure that lists the 8ft as having 46x92 surface which is oversize or Pro8. Derrick at Billiard Restoration said all 8ft GC's have that size playfield. Just repeating what i was told.

That could well be, I don't doubt there could be contradictory information from Brunswick. For reference, on the GCIII, here's what I am going on, which was published in 1978:

https://brunswick.pastperfectonline.com/library/38C18744-ED72-4F11-88E5-188420238567

Physical Description Classification:
Year of ManufactureFrom 1976 To 1997
Style:
Sizes available:

8 Home options (44" x 88" Playfield)
Slate: 3 pc. 1" framedLength (in):105
Width (in):59Weight (lbs):1103
Leg Center Length (in):Leg Center Width (in):

9 Pro options (50" x 100" Playfield)
Slate: 3 pc. 1" framed, 1 1/4" framed BrunstoneLength (in):113
Width (in):63Weight (lbs):1168

10 Foot options (56" x 112" Playfield)
Slate: 3 pc. 1" framedLength (in):125
Width (in):69Weight (lbs):1456

Color Options: Mahogany, Black
Similar to: Gold Crown II, Gold Crown IV
Cushion Rubber: Superspeed for pool and carom tables, L-shaped full molded snooker cushions
Replacement Parts Available:

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From the same source, the GCIV is this:

https://brunswick.pastperfectonline.com/library/8C9C918D-F260-49DB-9C02-654955641092

Year of ManufactureFrom 1997 To 2008
Style:
Sizes available:

8 Pro options (46" x 92" Playfield)
Slate: 3 pc. 1" framedLength (in):104.33
Width (in):60.33Weight (lbs):1020
Leg Center Length (in):62Leg Center Width (in):30.5

Slate: 3 pc. 1" framedLength (in):114.33
Width (in):68.33Weight (lbs):1150
Leg Center Length (in):70Leg Center Width (in):34.5

Color Options: Mahogany, Matte Black, Poly Black
Similar to: Gold Crown III
Cushion Rubber: Superspeed
Replacement Parts Available: 2003: All

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's a catalog screen grab from the 1979/1980 catalog:

Screenshot from 2020-02-18 14-36-57.jpg

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That could well be, I don't doubt there could be contradictory information from Brunswick. For reference, on the GCIII, here's what I am going on, which was published in 1978:

https://brunswick.pastperfectonline.com/library/38C18744-ED72-4F11-88E5-188420238567

Year of ManufactureFrom 1976 To 1997
Style:
Sizes available:

8 Home options (44" x 88" Playfield)
Slate: 3 pc. 1" framedLength (in):105
Width (in):59Weight (lbs):1103

Slate: 3 pc. 1" framed, 1 1/4" framed BrunstoneLength (in):113
Width (in):63Weight (lbs):1168

10 Foot options (56" x 112" Playfield)
Slate: 3 pc. 1" framedLength (in):125
Width (in):69Weight (lbs):1456

Color Options: Mahogany, Black
Similar to: Gold Crown II, Gold Crown IV
Cushion Rubber: Superspeed for pool and carom tables, L-shaped full molded snooker cushions
Replacement Parts Available:
Those archives are not always that accurate. You really need to find brochure/catalog . Those usually have correct info. Forget trying to contact Brunswick. IF they get back to you they often have no clue and just say "Well, check the archive". Not much help. They did finally tell me that only the gulley's and pockets on the new GC's are made in the U.S. Rest is outsourced aka China.

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Those archives are not always that accurate. You really need to find brochure/catalog . Those usually have correct info. Forget trying to contact Brunswick. IF they get back to you they often have no clue and just say "Well, check the archive". Not much help. They did finally tell me that only the gulley's and pockets on the new GC's are made in the U.S. Rest is outsourced aka China.

The info in the archives is from scans of brochures and catalogs, AFAIK.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The info in the archives is from scans of brochures and catalogs, AFAIK.
All i know is i saw a full-color 1978 GC3 brochure that clearly says playfield is 46x92. Billiard Restoration has rebuilt a bunch of these things. Until somebody goes and measures one i'm staying on 46x92 playfield.

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That doesn't give actual play area. I'm thinking that 4x8 GC's had 46x92 surfaces.

Now you are just being contrary.

The play area for these was in the other information from Brunswick. Check the other stuff I cited:
  • the 8' table has a 44" x 88" Playfield;
  • the 8' Pro table has a 46" x 92" Playfield.

As far as I can tell from all the available info from Brunswick, what they called an 8' table always had a 44x88" playfield.

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ah, wait! You're right! Check this out: 4x8 table with 46x92" playfield for the Gold Crown II..

20220087-12.jpg

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Now you are just being contrary.

The play area for these was in the other information from Brunswick. Check the other stuff I cited:
  • the 8' table has a 44" x 88" Playfield;
  • the 8' Pro table has a 46" x 92" Playfield.

As far as I can tell from all the available info from Brunswick, what they called an 8' table always had a 44x88" playfield.
Scroll down to GC3 brochure. Says nothing about "Pro 8", just says 4x8 and gives playing area as 46x92. http://www.billiardsforum.com/pool-table-identification/is-this-a-brunswick-gold-crown-pool-table Believe whatever you want.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You didn't see my reply before yours.
WTF??? Can you read?? That brochure says NOTHING about Pro8, just 4x8 and the playfield is 46x92. Like i said, believe whatever you makes you happy. I'm going by my own two eyes and what a top restorer told me. I'm done, have fun.